cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to DB2E tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I installed MI client 7.0 on my desktop, and everything is running. Now I want to see the content of db2e tables, located in directory C:\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure\data.

According to note 1049921, I downloaded the tool DB2eCLP (.exe file) and I put it in the folder above. I also put the three DLL files specified in the note into the folder.

Unfortunately, the tool is not running: when I click on the exe file, the command line opens for an instant then close. When I try to launch the file from the command line, it only says Unable to start DB2 everyplace. I shut down MI client, I try to remove DLL files from folder but the error still remains.

Do you have any advice how to solve it? Or maybe can you suggest me another way to see db2e tables?

Points will be rewarded

Thanks

Fabio

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to open the DB2eCLP.exe file when MI client is shutdown. Otherwise it will not get open. So just make sure that MI client is shut down and then try to execute the exe. Some times even though your MI cilent is shutdown the JAVAW.exe will be still running in the background. So if the above option dont work then try to close javaw.exe in task manager processes and then try to execute the exe file.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Siva.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larissa,

I downloaded MAM 3.0 and gave a look to "Database viewing tool" page, but implementing a new page taking MAM as example seems to me a very long way :(. Do you have suggestions on how to implement it in a quite reasonable time?

I still can't believe there isn't an easy way to look into that tables

Anyway thanks for you help Larissa, I appreciate it very much.

Fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

well, this tool is independend from MAM - all it does is it uses the SmartSyncAPI and then it accesses the SyncBO directly thrugh this API. Well, this is the easiest way to check if there is data on the device and how the data looks like - and you do not need to deal with cryptic DB2e filenames.

I am not 150% sure about the version in MAM3.0. I took the start.jsp file - that was the "DataBrowser" in older MAM - and copied it to another project and it worked without any coding. All I had to do was to enter the name of the SyncBO correctly.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Oliver

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio,

if your mobile app is SmartSync app (namely is using SyncBos) building display page for local DB is fairly simple.

Just take a look in MAM as you have already downloaded it.

There are two jsps there app-root/start.jsp and app-root/start_full.jsp. Both of them display local DB, just in different way.

Cheers,

Larissa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larissa,

in fact I'm trying only to display data in tables in some way, and I found this apparently useful tool surfing on the SAP marketplace.

Unfortunately I don't have MAM but only MSA connected to CRM. Can you provide me some hints how to write a page to display data? Or where I can find MAM page as exmple?

Thanks

Fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio,

well, the DLLs - I never registered them. All you do is to copy the 3 DLLs into the WINDOWS directory, copy the JAR file into the LIB directory of MAM, register this JAR file into the CREMELISTOFJARS file and enter a few parameters into the MOBILENEGINE.config file. All tis information you will see in the INSTALL.XML file in the DB2e Setup file. Cause this is all MI does while deploying it.

Well, ok, based on that - once you have done these steps it is more or less simpe JDBC to access the DB and read files from there. n MAM we have it even better, cause there we can rely on the SmartSync API to access DB2e. A guide how to access DB2e frm inside an MI application can be found in the MDK- I think.

If you want to access DB2e from outside MI it will be a little more critical- even it is not really impossible - cause of the strange format how MI stores the data at the end. But again: it is simple JDBC development. The DLLs are already in the Windows directory, the JAR file is the needed JDBC driver and connection details you could get basically from the mobileengine.setup file.

Hope that helps to get you any further.

Regards,

Oliver

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio,

if you just want to see local data on the device I believe it would be easier to write a page. It's easier for development and later in production and that is why it was created in MAM.

If you can download MAM from service marketplace - search for page named start_full.jps directly in app-root.

If you can't download it - send me a message (my address is in my business card) I will send it to you.

Keep in mind though that MAM is "SmartSync" app, I don't remember if MSA is "generic" or "smart" sync.

If MSA is '"generic" data would be displayed differently and MAM example wont be usefull.

Regards,

Larissa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio,

Did you get any further with this?

Best regards,

Nakul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larissa,

I think you got the point, the three DLL files are not registered. Unfortunately, when I try to register them using "regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\DB2e.dll", I got an error saying "C:\WINDOWS\DB2e.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered." Do you have clues on how to register these files?

I'm sorry but I'm not trying to use this tool for recovering from data loss. If you have DB2E V8.2 or V8.2.1, you can try to refer to note 899800.

Regards,

Fabio

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fabio,

Normally I deploy DB2e add-on via MI console and it's done automatically. But a few times when I was just copying dlls I remember registering (and if I remember correctly onel one, DB2e.dll, has to be registered) when it was done for the first time on a new device and didn't have any problems.

But the fact that you get message "dll uploaded" seems to me a confirmation that dll was registered, otherwise I don't think it would have been loaded.

May I ask you why you want to use this tool? If it is just to be able to see data in tables, I beleive it is easier to write a page to display it. MAM has one, it's fairly simple.

Tool didn't seem very helpful to me.

Besides, even though I got message that tool started I was not able to make it respond to any command.

Regards,

Larissa

Former Member
0 Kudos

I copied the three DLL files into c:\windows, but unfortunately the problem is not solved. What can I do now? Is there any other way to read those tables, apart from this tool?

Thanks for your interest, I appreciate it much.

Fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ideally if you are able to access your application using the same tables with MI 7.0 client then you should be able to run the tool also to access the tables. The only problem I could see is if MI 7.0 is not completely shutdown then when you run the tool it will not allow the second connection to the tables as data might get corrupted.

I am not sure how you are closing the MI 7.0. Make sure that in your system tray in MI 7.0 you shutdown the server and only then you run the tool.

Even then if you are not able to access then Iam not sure about what your problem is but, i doubt if the tool itself might be corrupted during download.

Could you download the same tool again and try the above..

Unfortunately as far as I know this is the only tool available to access DB2E tables as of now. Not sure if there are any.

Hope it works.

Best Regards,

Siva.

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I extracted the tool (DB2eCLP.exe) into C:\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure\data and it seems that when I execute it tool runs. At least I get an MS-DOS window that stays opem and says "DB2 Everyplace started successfully".

I didn't copy DB2e add-ons inot data directory but they are present in their normal place (c:/windows).

But when I type commands in the window there is no visible result. This is my issue so far.

The only idea I have why tool does not start on your machine at all is: when addon is deployed dll are being registered as far as I know in laptop registry. Otherwise, dll will not work normally.

Can you check that DB2e.dll is registered on your device?

I have my own questions though - I have heard about this tool but didn't look into it closely before this message.

Now that I was able to start it, I don't really see how it is helpful.

We are implementing mobile app at a customer site and one of the problems we face is disaster recovery. We were adviced that with that tool data can be recovered from DB in case DB got busted, or device got busted (form DB backup).

Our app will be used by a technician whose sync cycle can be once a month. Obviously if device got busted after a whole month of work we need somehow to be able to recover data that he entered and somehow pass it to the backend.

So far, looking on the tool I don't see how it can help for this kind of activity.

Are you planning to use this tool for a simialr task? If yes, how?

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

thanks for your aswer.

I tried to shut down MI and javam.exe processes, but the tool is still not running. The error is still the same. Do you have any other advices?

Thanks

Fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have these 3 dll 1. CryptoPlugin.dll 2. DB2e.dll and 3. DB2EJDBC.dll files in your "c:\windows" directory.

Best Regards,

Siva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually copying those 3 dlls into the same folder where the tool is present should also work. But just as a last option try copying the same into c:\windows directory and try once.

Best Regards,

Siva.