Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Genarates Keys in MDM

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frnds,

I want to know some more information about MDM Keys, Suppose i am having one Data Base Record its having 1000 employees information , I'm storing this document in MDM,But in Dta Base its already having Employee number for unique identification for each and every employee.

But My doubt, when i store the data in MDM data manager MDM will generate New Key's??

If its generate new key for each every employee, What happened to employee number in Data Base ??

Regards,

raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

There can be 4 approach for this:

1. Using MDM Auto ID - This is an inetrnally generated number by MDM and is unique by all means. If you want to take MDM's help to generate new ID for your Records, you can create a field in MDM with the type Auto ID.

In this, your record ID's remain intact.

2. Using Matching Merging Startergy of MDM- When you use this statergy of MDM, and merge two potentail duplicte records, you will have to merge their record ID also ( And that will become your Gloabl ID). But however, using remote keys, your Local ID will also be intact, however, on the Main Screen, only the Merged record ID will be seen.

3. You can have Auto ID of MDM and then use Assignment and generate a new ID. You can also use your Record ID and Auto ID together to generate a new number altogether.

4. You can only use your Record ID's. You do not have to mandatorily use the MDM ID. If your Record ID's are unique, it will be sufficient enough to identify each record.

I think, the last approach can be finbe if it suits your requirement.

Hope it helps.

*Please reward points if helpful.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your early response ,But i want to some more things

Suppose MDM Auto ID Genarated for my DATA Base Records, When i am syndicating the File to DATA Base, Data Base already having the EMP ID's, its unique numbers, But MDM also genarated Auto ID for my DATA Base Record, In DATA Base Records 2 id's included or only MDM Auto ID' s only available...

Regards,

raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Suppose MDM Auto ID Genarated for my DATA Base Records, When i am syndicating the File to DATA Base, Data Base already having the EMP ID's, its unique numbers, But MDM also genarated Auto ID for my DATA Base Record, In DATA Base Records 2 id's included or only MDM Auto ID' s only available...

Now, MDM generates unique MDM ID -Auto ID. Now if you are syndicating the file back to the target system, then target system should have that field to map the Value with.

If the target system only has the originally present Record ID, then only those values will be populated.

Note : Auto ID should be ideally used, when there is no primary key in the source. But since here you are already having a Record ID, it is of not much use.

And apart from this, coming back to your question, the record ID's will not get affected. They will be definitely present. And if you maintain an Auto-Id,then even that will be present in the target system.

As far as I have understood your requirement, you do not require an Auto-id as you are already having Record ID which are unique.

Hope it helps.

*Please reward points if helpful.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja

in this case MDM Auto ID should not be included as in DB the unique ID is say Employee No. MDM Auto ID will be used when say you have merged two records from different source systems and in MDM we have the merged record.If we want to find out which were the merged records MDM Auto ID and remote key mappings if enabled answer this.

hope it helps

Regards-

Ravi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are a couple of ways you can do this, but traditionally MDM is used to serve as a central data hub across your landscape of systems. In this topology, most likely each system will have it's own unique number associated with each record. MDM can generate a global number when you bring records into MDM, or create new records in MDM. Then you can import the old numbers into MDM and store them in the "key mappings". This way, when you syndicate a record to a particular remote system, you will syndicate the remote key instead of the global number.

For example, if you have a record such as the following:

MDM ID = 1, Description = Screw, Material Type = HALB

Key mappings:

Remote System = Oracle, Key = 10001

Remote System = ECC, Key = 200002202

Remote Sysem = Legacy, Key = 3000123

When you build your syndication map, you will map the "remote key" to the material number field, this way the map will determine which remote system you are syndicating to and place the correct key in that field.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

You can remove the Auto ID field from the repository if you dont want that field in your repository.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja