cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Solution Manager manage upgrade?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Except get the upgrade key from SM4.0, I do not see any other involvement of SM4.0 in the

upgrade.

However in a recent paper by Jon Reed , he says that you can use SM4.0 to manage your

upgrade.

Please share your opinions. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guest,

I completely agree with Ruben on the upgrade approach.

To put it more simply:

1.Create a blueprint in Solman which involves all the business processes.

2.Take it for configuration in the SAP box from solman.

3.Set up all blueprinting and config documentation (General and specific) pertaining to business processes in various phases.

4.Create a solution directory to 'extract' the business processes which need to be upgraded.

5.Carry 'em thru a functional upgrade and attach the upgrade related documentations to those business processes.

Hope it helps

Mukhraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solution Manager's module Implementation Tools can help to you conduct from a "Fuctional" point of view your entire Upgrade project, further more can help you to rollout if necessary the Upgrade.

For Upgrade Projects the SAP Solution Manager supports both:

- restarting an upgrade project

- perform an upgrade project based on an implementation project

The scope of support for these upgrade-relevant activities with the SAP Solution Manager is the same as for an implementation project, plus some upgrade-specific functions:

a comparison tool which identifies release-specific changes or deletions, if you used SAP reference contents

an upgrade report which gets the upgrade-relevant configuration settings which you must adjust in upgrade or delta customizing, automatically, based on a connection to the target release system

Upgrade-relevant contents are also delivered with the SAP Solution Manager, as an upgrade roadmap and upgrade-specific business scenario and process contents. At the end of the upgrade project, changed or inserted business scenarios and processes and system information are put in a customer-specific repository (Solution Directory), where they are available for production processing.

Extracted from www.help.sap.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus;

Can we do the upgrade from ECC5.0 to ECC6.0 without using Solution Manager at all except for getting the upgrade key? Thanks!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

unless you plan to include Enhancement Packages into your upgrade, then there is no way to avoid the involvement of solution manager. My advice in this case is to install EhP's after the upgrade! I am fighting my way for 2 weeks through solution manager and still have not been able to get the needed XML-File for inclusion of EhP into the upgrade

Best Regards,

Axel