Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between AIX and Windows for SAP

former_member190272
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a problem regarding SAP Software.We want to change our company software .First we order SAP On Windows with Oracle10g But Now We want SAP on AIX with Oracle10g.

SAP delivered us software on Windows platform.

Please Suggest me for this as what are the differences between the above two platforms and what are the differences between the above 2 platforms.

Regards,

Pankaj Kalsayan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Pankaj,

well, this is a very general question. perhaps you could specify a little more.

in general i would see no difference regarding the end user sitting in front of his pc using sapgui.

as far as i know all server side sap software is available for aix and windows (and many more).

for administration on the other hand there is of course lots of difference. AIX is a UNIX operating system running on special hardware with power processors. it offers quit extensive virtualisation abilities using so called LPARs and supports real big number of CPUs and large RAM. Windows is a completly differnet operating system running mostly on x86/amd64 hardware.

therefore you should also consider what know-how is available in your system administration.

not shure if that is partly answering your question ...

btw. if you are going forward with AIX you should perhaps consider switching oracle with db2. so you have a consistent IBM based landscape. also to me, sap and db2 seem to "like" each other more than sap and oracle

regards,

martin

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi pankaj,

How is you company even cosidering the installation of SAP in AIX/Windows when you don't even know the differences in between them??

Are you telling me that you just wake up one day and thought... mmmmm will be intresting to do it in AIX....?

Serious players do a large study on what benefits on platform will give you against another one not only based in performance but also in if the solution is cost effective for the projected number of systems/usage/transactions/concurrent users, availability and maintenance, and also important and directly related to you SUPPORT.

regards

Juan

former_member190272
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

i want to know that what all DVD's are different for installation of sap on AIX. What right now we have is windows on oracle10g DVD's.

What else is required for AIX on Oracle10g.

Thanks And Regards

Pankaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj!

All media will remain same except the RDBMS

You have Kernel DVD with different OS with unicode/non unicode

RDBMS Media need to change your selected database.

Regards

Anwer Waseem

former_member190272
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Waseem,

Thanks for your quick reply I have search this thing on service market place i found RDBMS DVD is different DVD 51031672 on AIX.and Kernel AIX DVD 51033030.

Please suggest me i am right or wrong.

Thanks

Pankaj Kalsayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj

Usually Kernel DVD shipped with different OS but RDBMS with selected OS, you can order RDBMS DVD or download from the SMP.

Regards

Anwer Waseem

former_member190272
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Wseem,

Thanks for ur support to me we have kernel DVD on diffrent Os.I was confuse only for Oracle RDBMS DVD.So Can we order only for RDBMS DVD.

Thanks for ur time

Pankaj Kalsayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pankaj!

DVD deliver from the SAP take 10-15 days , if you have high speed internet then you can download from service.sap.com/swdc

Regards

Anwer Waseem

Answers (0)