cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused Regarding SAP XI Pre requiste

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Many of the threads has all the information that ......particularly sravya blog.....all says ...that SAP XI has no pre requiste.........

am still not able to understand that ..what are the concets we need in ABAP or java exactly if we want to enter into this field.

I apologize if am asking a regular question......As i was confused and am not able to decide which i have to learn before going to start my career in SAP XI.. and also i have knowledge on basic concepts of SAP ..please help me out how to start .please explain me in detail..please don't give links..i confused by all the blogs..please explain me....in details....sorry if i troubles u all....

Thanks in Advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Swati,

XI is the Best platform for those who are looking for a change.

Bcoz....

XI suits for the people who has knowledge in

<b>a)other Middlewares like Webmethods,Mercator,MB,WPS,TIBCO etc.,</b>

They will get better idea about the Message monitoring and Mesage Queue and common EAI principles

<b>b) For Java Programmers,</b>

In order to develop mappings between the Source and Target.

And also writing custom Adapters and for UDFs

<b>c)ABAP Programmers</b>

Most of the interfaces involve IDOC and RFCs

Proxies

**********reward points if found useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swati,

Abap or Java knowledge will definitely help you. But even if you dont have these knowledge, dont get dis-heartened. You can pick it up along-side (But they are necessary).

Cheers...Welcome to XI.

Regards

Arpil

Reward points for Encouraging answer

former_member187563
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Swathi,

You know XI is a part of SAP Netweaver.And it is based on java stack and abap stack.

So you need to know a little bit of both abap and java.And if you are an expert in that then its an added advantage.

You need abap in SAP XI because some times you have to deal with RFC and reports,etc.So its good if you can understand the logic behind the RFC.

You need java because When you go for user defined functions(udf)

the you have to write that in java(in message mapping).

You might be doin java mapping for some scenarios

So if you know java and abap then its good.

reward points if helpful

regards,

ujjwal kumar

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swathi,

Adding to ujjwal kumar ...

XI/PI is basically a client/server framework and it has 60 to 70 % inbuilt features.

As a developer you need to do rest of the things(30% to 40 %) like design and configuration as part of standard framework to deploy the things into server. So learning a framework is always easy.

Also you need to have/understand some basic concepts of middleware as XI is basically middleware in normal software terminology. However it is called as an ERP interms of SAP.

Thanks

Gujjeti

Edited by: Praveen Gujjeti on May 9, 2008 9:20 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swathi,

First of all, Welcome to XI

Let me try to explain you in detail:

Q. Why Java and ABAP?

Ans. XI (now PI) is built on Java and ABAP stack, so knowledge of both will help you immensely to understand the working, tracing the error and building scenarios.

Like, for example XI's Integration Server (i.e. XI as a system) has three major components inside it, namely Adapter Engine (Based on Java), ccBPM engine (ABAP stack) and Integration Engine (Both ABAP and Java Stack)

Q. Is there any area where we would not need the knowledge on Java or ABAP?

Ans. While Designing message mappings, exposing Webservices, designing ccBPM scenarios, what you will need is a good knowledge of SOAP, XSDs, XML, WSDL, XSLT etc, i.e. you need to have a feel of open standards to understand how XI works and where it is placed architecturally.

Q. Where do I need Java knowledge the most?

Ans. As I am unaware of your technological background, let me assume that you know nothing of SAP.

So, if you have a descent knowledge and exposure of Java, it would help you to:

a) Understand and resolve errors and issues in XI (mainly based on Java)

b) Enhance the capabilities of Adapters (nothing but complex java programs)

c) Enhancing Message Mappings (by writing Java based 'user defined functions')

d) Writing mapping programs exclusively in Java (Java message mapping)

e) Writing Java code to connect to any Java application (known as Java Proxies)

Q. Where do I need ABAP knowledge the most?

Ans. XI or PI is a middleware, i.e. it interacts with applications or systems at both the ends. Primarily one of the end (back end) is SAP R/3 or ECC (advance version of SAP R/3) box. Here your knowledge in ABAP comes handy. Communication between XI and SAP takes place using core SAP technologies or formats like IDoc, RFCs or plain ABAP code (known as proxies).

Also you need to have an average knowledge of SAP ABAP (Advance Business Application Programming Language), a 4th generation language to be able to trace erros and build customized programs in SAP environment.

I hope, this would help you.

Please free to throw any doubts you still have

As you seem to be a new bie, please award points if you find this information useful.

Thanks,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The pre requisites what is you see on blogs and forum links are optional ones, meaning you need not have ABAP knowledge or JAVA knowledge.

You need to just make up your mind to start knowing about XI and start working on it.

Regards

Ramesh P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Learning XI will be very interesting if you have the knowledge of Java and ABAP.

No need to get confused about the pre requisite.

Regards,

Inidra D

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do not confuse anything more here,if u want to do the masters in XI you have knowledge on JAVA littile bit(Functions and EJB concepts) and if you have ABAP more advantage(Reports and Proxy generations).so consuntrate on these things is enough to do XI.

Regards