cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two step picking

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

do you know if it is possible to make a two-step picking also against inbound deliveries.

My customer has a case in which they transfer goods from non-sap managed plants to the sap managed warehouse.

the process would be like: i receive the ID, pack the products, put them in special stock in transit location, when they get to the warehouse i unpack and repack them at need and complete the GR and putaway process.

The two step picking seems good as a process for this scenario, since i can confirm twice that everything is correct and i can manage the two-step transfer.

Of course, the assumption for me is that i can make the 2step picking against the ID.

May you confirm this?

Points will be rewarded,

thanx,

Michele

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michele,

Following information might be helpful.

Within SAP Inventory Management, there are two methods how stock are moved between plants using a 2-step process:

Stock Transport Orders (UB)

Transfer Posting

What does 2-step mean?

Example: Let’s assume stock is moving from Plant A (Storage Location 0001) to Plant B (storage location 0002).

Two step means that two transactions will be used to move the stock. After the first transaction, stock has left plant A but it is not yet available at Plant B. Only after the second transaction is it available for use in Plant B.

Some reasons for using 2-step movements (and not 1 step):

Long time span between leaving Plant A and arriving at Plant B

Need to control when goods leave plant A but not received at plant B

Using Stock Transport Orders (STO)

Steps:

Create a Stock Transport Order (ME21N, Purchase Order doc type UB)

Process Goods Issue against STO (MIGO > Goods Issue > PO) – movement type 351

Process Goods Receipt against STO (MIGO > Goods Receipt > PO) – movement type 101

The use of Planned Orders and Purchase Requisitions are optional.

Using Transfer Postings (TP)

Steps:

Process a Transfer Posting (MIGO > Transfer Posting) – movement type 303

Process a Transfer Posting (MIGO > Transfer Posting) – movement type 305

The Transfer Posting can be done with reference to a Reservation. Although this is not used a lot.

Similarities between Stock Transport Orders (STO) and Transfer Postings (TP)

Both use transaction MIGO for both steps

After first step, goods are already reflected in receiving plant and not available

Differences between Stock Transport Orders (STO) and Transfer Postings (TP)

Movement types are different

351 & 101 for STO

303 & 305 for TP

Stock types at receiving plants are different

- In Transfer (MARC-UMLMC) for TP

- Stock in Transit (MARC-TRAME)for STO

For STO, 351 and 101 is group together where for TP there is no link between 303 and 305

STO requires more transactions than TP

STO must be configured for the sending plant / receiving plant where no plant specific configuration exists for TP

STO is based on Stock Transport Order (type of Purchase Order). Where no purchasing document is used for TP

STO can be initiated with a Planned Order or Purchase Requisition

Planning (MRP) can be used to initiate movements, but only STO’s

Configuration required to use STO

Config: MM > Purchasing > Purchase Order > Set up Stock Transport Order > Assign Document Type, One-Step Procedure, Underdelivery Tolerance

Here the source plant, destination plant and allowed STO document type is specified.

Reward if helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Naveen Dasari.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basically 2 Step picking means, we are grouping two different outbound deliveries into one group and it will allows you to create one TO. By using this TO warehouse personal will pick the products from bin. After picking it will be distributed at interim storage bin for different OD's.

As for your issue concerned, it is not comes under as 2 step picking process. As per my knowledge, you can create some temporary storage location(say XXXX) so that your all pack and unpack activities can be done over there. ID can be GR'ed first at this location XXXX. Then using MB1B you can transfer again to warehouse managed location

Regards

Malli.