cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC WMS vs Decentralized-WMS vs SCM - Extended-WMS. Confusing SAP Strat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a Question ... pertaining to SCM-EWM = Extended Warehouse Management Functionality in SCM.

I knew WMS Functionality that is part of erstwhile R3 4.6, 4.7 and now ECC 6 Releases.

Back in 2003-2004 also came "Decentralized WMS" which was the same thing, but WMS implemented

on a Separate Server integrated to R3 via IDOCs/BDOCs. It had additional functionality of TRM (Task & Resource Mngt)

which I know as my team has implemented in my earlier job as SCM Manager. At that time there was no WMS inside of SCM (primarily APO).

I am now quite confused with the "Extended WM" functionality that has come as part of SCM along with APO.

- What is the reason for coining EWM ? Architecture seems similar to D-WMS. Is this meant to be a 'Replacement' for D-WMS ?

- I am reading this EWM having functionality similar to D-WMS (eg : TRM, Cross Docking, RFID) ... so it

appears to be the same ... except now I am reading it has functionality called 'Slotting', 'Rearrangement',

'Transportation Cross Docking", "EH&S Integration" ... all honestly very confusing to me.

- Is it that SAP will now do all the Latest Developments around WM only in the "EWM" module & slowly phase out WMS in ECC ?

Thought someone might know. This confuses me a lot & I as Head SCM am unable to give the Right Opinion to our Customers on where to head for Warehouse Management.

Regards,

Ambrish Mathur

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

atul_saxena4
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish ,

I have a similar question on recommending SCM EWM Vs Decentralized SAP WMS ?

Can you share your views and findings? .

Appreciate your feedback .

Regards ,

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

This is very old question. I have encountered it during research about issues concerning WMS upgrade etc.

Today I have found a document, whic may help you or others and make this question "answered" (I am not a moderator) ;).

Document treats about SAP WMS and EWM.

http://www.logisticsit.com/downloads/SAP_Which_App_WP_2009.UK.pdf

I hope, it helps at least one SDN "SEEKER"

regards,

Wojciech

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wojciech,

Rich document to decide among  WM, DWM and EWM.

Thanks !

Regards..

Agam

Former Member
0 Kudos

I to am confused by what can be done and what cannot be done with WM, EWM and De-Centralized WM

Is it possible to use elements of EWM with De-Centralized WM such as Yard Management and Cross Docking?

Is there any documents out there that can answer this kind of question?

Regards

Neil

Former Member
0 Kudos

My Question is not answered. Are you the Moderator ?

To better explain ...

I think People like Stephen & Mansuri have tried answering me comparing the ECC WM (Centralized) vs EWM. This I already know that Cost and functionality is the driver.

My Question was ECC DWMS (Decentralized WMS implemented in a separate server than ECC) as comparision to the SCM-EWM Module. Obviously EWM will be better than ECC WM, but I am not sure why DWMS has been developed by SAP then (includes Apps like TRM not present in ECC WM). So the Question and confusion on which to recommend to a MNC Customer (EWM vs DWMS) is still open.

I think the DWMS will probably die it's own natural death as the functionalities there will become part of SCM-EWM. I want an Expert in SAP to confirm this.

Regards,

Ambrish Mathur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I think that you have had the answer to your question. I am trying to get people to keep the forum tidy. If you have what you require could you award you points if you want to and mark your question as answered.

This helps everybody as there are at the moment 48 pages of open questions and if people do not close them the forum will grow and then people like me will not go through all of the pages as it takes too long and some people will not get answers to their questions.

Thank you

Frenchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone ... Please can you help with my requirements on which WM System to recommend to Business Users ?

Ambrish Mathur

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try to list a some key points concerning 'EWM vs WM', where WM can be installed central or decentral. This should not be a consideration in selection WMS platform. Concerning EWM, one important key point is the additional licensen cost, which is added if EWM is chosen. Thus the investment in EWM towards WM should bear a cost benefit analysis. In this work folllowing points are of relevans:

- Are the warehouse processes complex? Then EWM is strongly recommended since it has non of the technical constraints of WM. The most feasible process can be designed.

- Yard management and cross dockinig functionalities have a better design from user point of view.

- Value added service and Kitting/display production should be done in EWM. VAS has some strong limitation in ECC.

- Is quality inspection integrated in the warehouse processes? EWM should be used, since Quality Inspection Engine (QIE) ensures an integrated user interface - nothing similar to ECC.

A few more input, is that EWM as a licens is both for ECC and SCM so are yard management or value added service required. The selection of platform is free, I will never recommend ECC in this case. The only reason to use WM at the ECC platform is cost and in calcalution you should include the risk of lacking agility and flexibility. EWM can support this.

Hope above mentioned is helpful and should read as by personal experience with the EWM platform. I currently works at a large retailer that will implement EWM 2009.

Best Regards,

Steen Kronborg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mr. Mansuri,

Thanks for responding. You seem to be an Expert in this field, but please bear with me for the confusion that still exists.

If I am looking to recommend to a Large Customer who is in Manufacturing or Consumer Products or Automotive/Service Parts or Pharmaceutical Domain who typically Manufacture Finished Goods Inhouse and then Distribute it from Mfg. Plants to Regional Warehouses to Local Warehouses in a Country or across countries to sell to some Distributor or Retail Store for selling it to the Consumers. In such an Environment most of the Warehouses need to be WMS Managed - particularly big ones where RF Automation is also needed. Some even track Handling Units and need to Track Plant Batches so usually Implement HUM / SUM and Batch Management along with WMS to allow Pallet Tracking.

If I were to recommend to such customers which WMS to choose for their SAP Landscape, it is a Confusion of Giant Proportions esp. when deciding between Decentralized WMS Server (i.e : WMS not in ECC but in a separate R/3 which was primarily given by SAP to avoid Performance Issues in the Core Operations in ECC - Batch Management, HUM & WMS can be very Performance Intensive) or use the SCM-EWM Functionality. I want to give a Recommendation that is Futuristic. Why does SAP need to keep both - D-WMS as well as SCM-EWM ?

Bear in mind that EWM is different in Terminologies from D-WMS or ECC-WMS in the sense that the "Transfer Orders" in ECC or D-WMS and they are called as "Warehouse Orders" in SCM-EWM so have different SAP Trainings . In both 'Deliveries' for Sales/POs/STOs get "Distributed" from the Executional ECC System to the EWM/D-WM system to manage Warehouse Picking, Putaway & eventually GI / GR. D-WMS exchanges information with Central ECC Orders via Middleware which is IDOC/BDOC based while I am not sure if EWM uses CIF of SCM or has a different Interface with ECC.

D-WMS & SCM-EWM both run in a Decentralized Fashion to take care of Performance Issues with implementing WMS in the Integrated ECC Environment which I do not recommend for Companies wanting to implement a Lot of WMS.

So the Confusion very much exists between what to recommend between D-WMS & SCM-EWM to a Customer like above with a Futuristic Outlook in mind. It does not make sense for SAP to keep both.

- What do you recommend for above-like Customers ?

- Where do SCM-EWM Trainings happen (seem to be still not common) ... can you refer me ? I cannot see them in the India/Asia SAP Training syllabus.

I want your expertise to make a recommendation.

Regards,

Ambrish Mathur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ambrish Mathur,

There is nothing confusion on EWM, but it seems to us becuase we have no much information about the detailed (particularly distribution & service parts industry). Here are my points which may help you to understand the EWM and complete infrastructure for EWM.

I am now quite confused with the "Extended WM" functionality that has come as part of SCM along with APO.

It is not mandatory to have APO for EWM, you can just implement EWM (which is a part of SCM & ECC both), and backend system can be any ERP system (it works just like D-WHS)

What is the reason for coining EWM ? Architecture seems similar to D-WMS. Is this meant to be a 'Replacement' for D-WMS ?

It works in the same fashion as D-WMS, but with enhanced and more functionality with flexibility.

I am reading this EWM having functionality similar to D-WMS (eg : TRM, Cross Docking, RFID) ... so it

appears to be the same ... except now I am reading it has functionality called 'Slotting', 'Rearrangement',

'Transportation Cross Docking", "EH&S Integration" ... all honestly very confusing to me.

There is nothing confusion, but it is detailed ACTUAL business process what industry has. We need more study and information.

Is it that SAP will now do all the Latest Developments around WM only in the "EWM" module & slowly phase out WMS in ECC ?

Based on the seminar from SAP, I understood that they are adding more and more functionality to EWM to cover major market in service parts and distribution industry, but at the same time they confirm that they will continue with basic WM with ECC as well to give functionality to the small/medium business customer who needs basic WM functionality.

Hope this helps.

Regards