cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP or JAVA edition of the sneak preview sap netweaver ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi we want to install a local enviroment to test sap netweaver, in particular, sap portals.

We have seen that there are two edition and I have some questions:

1.-What's the diference between the ABAP and JAVA edition of the sneak preview sap netweaver? The abap does not include the portals, true?

2.-is possible to install both, ABAP and JAVA edition of the sneak preview sap netweaver?

3.-Are there installation guides and how-to of the sneak preview sap netweaver?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

1) The ABAP side is more of the SAP basis platform which R/3 runs on top of. You have ABAP programs, Data Dictionary, Function modules, etc. Portals does NOT run on this side. If you are just looking for portals, then just install the java stack.

2) Yes it is possible.

3) There are a few weblogs on the subject.

/people/sugree.phatanapherom/blog/2005/08/17/a-visual-installation-guide-on-sneak-preview-sap-netweaver-04-abap-edition

/people/sugree.phatanapherom/blog/2005/08/01/a-visual-installation-guide-on-sneak-preview-sap-netweaver-04-java-edition

/people/gregor.wolf3/blog/2005/09/24/a-visual-installation-guide-on-sneak-preview-sap-netweaver-04-java-slim-edition

Please award points for helpful answers. Thanks.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again, if I decide install the two editions, Have I to install first one than the other? or it do not mind.

Thanks.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I've heard success stories when installing ABAP before java. But I don't know if it matters or not.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you or someone else try the dual installation? And if so, did you succeed and how did you do it?

Thanks

Christophe

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed Java edition of Sneak Preview, and then could install ABAP stack on same machine by stopping its OS services. However, i am yet not able to login via sap gui to ABAP stack. Trying to figure out so far.