cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP to 3rd party: EDI and XI: Needed advantages and disadvantages

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

I have a requirement to sent PO data from SAP to 3rd party Vendors.(more than 30 vendors). Client insists on using EDI.!!

I have completed the config on SAP R/3 side and IDOCS are created in SAP R/3.

Since we have XI in the landscape, I have a few questions in my mind. Appreciate if you could give you feedback on these questions:

1. Should we send data directly from SAP to 3rd party using EDI adapter and avoid XI.

2. I assume EDI adapter will automatically convert IDOC to vendor format data and vice-versa.

3. All 30+ vendors will need to access this EDI adapter system or do they all need to have a separate one installed in there landscape.

4. If we use XI, will the adapter be able to communicate to XI. If yes what is the adapter name which connects to XI.

5. All vendors need this data in a slightly different format, so will the EDI adapter do the format conversion for every vendor ?

6. Since all vendors have a diff file format needed, I want to avoid doing extensive message mapping in XI. So can the EDI adapter handle it or is ther any easy way to do this mapping.

7. If mapping is not possible, then does it mean I will have to create a separate IDOC for each vendor in R/3 ( in vendor specific format) and send that to them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Shirin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yup ...you can send it through EDI also...but this is here it bit leanthy and expensive...bcz we have to set EDI subsystem to each vendor.Using XI you can confiugor to all vendors using ADAPTORS.

There are lot of technical and industrial specific adapotors availbale in XI .so that you can use depends.

Regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

GabrielSagaya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

XI-It is one of EAI tool-used for integration of two systems.

EAI tools -tibco,webmethods..etc.

EDI:It is one of the message format it is not a tool it is just one format of message structure.

EDI is a format for exchange of data between parners in a b2b scenario. It is a standard format for exchange of info.

Vendors like SeeBurger Provide EDI adapters that can be used in XI to integrate XI and your EDI subsystems.

Read this article to understans things better,

Taking Care of Business -- XI and EDI

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/135b0b94-0701-0010-f6a9-86a14057...

EDI came into when there was a need to exchange data between companies ,etc..

there comes with perticular standards like anscii12 and so...so that no one will say that u fallow my method...

EDI is a technology.

EDI goes with perticular standards like HIPPA,ANSCII 12..

EDI has got point to point connection.

xi came into picture ...when u are using SAP why not SAP product to exchnage data...

XI is a tool

it has got shipped sap Components like CRM,etc.

it is an SAP tool.

Openess and interoporability.

single point of connection.

multiple database updation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Should we send data directly from SAP to 3rd party using EDI adapter and avoid XI.

A) For EDI integration u need to have the EDi adapters and for that u need to purchase the seeburger license and which is need to be installed on XI and after that only u can use EDi adapter with Xi.

U can not ignore XI.

2. I assume EDI adapter will automatically convert IDOC to vendor format data and vice-versa.

A) Yes but only when u purchase the seeburger license. there are other ways as well either use conversion agent or module program which convert the XML to EDI format.

3. All 30+ vendors will need to access this EDI adapter system or do they all need to have a separate one installed in there landscape.

A) U have to use the EDI adapters with Xi and configure ur scenario in XI for all the vendors.

4. If we use XI, will the adapter be able to communicate to XI. If yes what is the adapter name which connects to XI.

A) Seeburger provide As2,X400,FTP,VAn adapters for EDi integration.

5. All vendors need this data in a slightly different format, so will the EDI adapter do the format conversion for every vendor ?

A) What EDI format ur vendor receivers the data it depends upon that.

6. Since all vendors have a diff file format needed, I want to avoid doing extensive message mapping in XI. So can the EDI adapter handle it or is ther any easy way to do this mapping.

A) Mapping is the part of desing and mapping changes accroding to the business requirement and mapping rule which is provided by Functional people.

7. If mapping is not possible, then does it mean I will have to create a separate IDOC for each vendor in R/3 ( in vendor specific format) and send that to them.

A) u need to do the mapping between IDOC and EDi then only the data will be mapped with the required target EDI strcuture.

chirag