cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapinst - extremely long run-time with BW 3.0B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm in the process of converting BW 3.0B SQL 2000 database to SQL 2005 using sapinst. I've done this on a number of R/3 databases and the whole process has taken a couple of minutes. On the BW database and its taken about 30 Hours so far. The database is about 200gb. It had about 900,000 stored procedures which I deleted with sap_droproc before starting the conversion.

The sapinst.exe process in task manager and sp_who2 in query analyzer are still both clocking CPU time and disk I/O so it would appear its still moving along.

The status bar on the sapinst shows 'Moving objects from dbo to q75, remaining object 2967192...' Would there be some other objects that could be stripped from the database before attempting the conversion again? (maybe with a similar stored proc to sap_droproc??)

Does anyone have any other suggestions???

Thanks,

Kye

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

see note 449891 to check which other temp objects exists. The best guess is, that so many views exists. The problem with views is, if you change the owner the dependencies of the views have to be updated and that is what takes so much time.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clas,

I managed to find that there where millions of /BI0/03.. objects in sysobjects table!! I didn't realise that these objects existed there but not in the SAP Data Dictionary. I used a drop_table function to remove all of these. The conversion then took about 35 seconds.

Cheers for your reply though.

Kye

Answers (0)