cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assignment Operation failed....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have an assignment expression created with the field "Name" which if is null ie no value at all,then should load a default value from the lookup table

I have the assignment defined as follows

If(Is_Null(Name),Name[3])

where Name[3] is a value from a lookup table.

When i execute the above assignment it fails as "Assignment Operation failed. I tried with "If then else " statement as follows and it too fails when i execute the assignment

If(Is_Null(Name),Name[3],Name)

where Name[3] is a value from a lookup table.

Any Help greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Aravind

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried a few variations of your logic and haven't been able to get it to work properly. Very curious, perhaps it's a bug? If you figure it out I'd be interested to know the answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still trying out....

Edited by: Aravind Sathiyanarayanan on May 8, 2008 12:28 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wrote a statment similar to yours and it works when the record has no value in that field. But if there is a value in the field it still changes the value to the selected one. If you change the field to writable once it will solve this issue, but unfortunately then the user can never change the value once it's set.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you brief me ,how you did that.My record also has got no value in that field ,but it still fails,i have that field as "Writable Once" No.

Former Member
0 Kudos
IF(IS_NULL(ACCOUNT GROUP . [RECORD]), ACCOUNT GROUP [KUNA])

But it still throws an error if you already have a value in the account group field.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are there any examples for assignment expressions at all.??

Former Member
0 Kudos

try this itt works

IF(IS_NULL(field1),value1) . also check the field type and value you are assigning.they shud be of same type.

let me know if u need any help

Regards

Ravi

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

check out the record and then run the assignment on the main table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the follow up! That's good to know.

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind,

I have tried you two assignements; I am able to achieve the purpose. I was even able to assing to to a normal field(a text field; not an lookup field); just make sure you have taken the fileds and if else contidtions from the drop down and didnt type them. might be then you will achieve ur results.

Cheers,

Cherry

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am still facing the same problem. I just tried it for a simple text field that has got no value at all

If(IS_NULL(Name1),"Test") where Name1 is the text field on the main table.

It still fails and popup says "Assignment operation failed". I guess the problem is something else.Is there anyway i can see the log for this error?

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,,

Ok; there is another reason where this can happen; check wether you are in read only mode in data manger; and you user has execute rights(from role) to edit the records. and last check wether any record is locked. You sample case just try and insert an sample record and then run your validation on that sample record only. Then it might work.

Cheers,

Cherry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

While creating the Assignment what type of field you are selecting ? Please select the Text field and run the assignment and do not put the value in " " i.e. If(IS_NULL(Name1),'Test').You can use ' ' or it is optional.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its a bit confusing but last time i remember i used it was with in cotes and today when i tried for another version it does not require any double or single codes. Just try its simpel first double, then single and then none;.......

Cheers,

Cherry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not in read only mode ,my role has got execute rights.How do i know whether the records are locked,i am not seeing any locked symbol for the records in lock column.(the lock column header is blue lock symbol)

I am not able to run any assignments on the main table .I tried this following assignment on a lookup table and it works.

If(Is_Not_Null(Country,"AD"))

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is fixed finally,you need to check out the record first and then run the assignment.It is weird that the error does not tell the exact information.

Thanks everyone for all your valuable tips....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this out

IF(IS_NULL(Name),Account Group [ABC])

Above Assignment will be valid only if this Assignment is on look field Account Group and Name is the text field.

For getting value from the lookup table position the cursor accordingly in the expression and select the Lookup table from the Lookups.Once you will select the lookup table you will get the list of values present in that table.There you can select the value you want to populate.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja