cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validations for Attributes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to make sure 'all' attributes for a particular leaf node are populated ?

This would be like having validations for all attributes.

Regards,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

Yes it is possible to have a Validations on Attributes.

Steps:

1. Add the new Validation no need to define the expression

2. Add the Branch to it and select the category appears in the drop down list for Branch

3. Attributes menu now will become active and you can perform the operations on the attributes as we can do on the fields.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

corey_chubon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Vinay,

Nice work, I was jus about to reply with that. The validation branches are a good feature as they eliminate complicated expressions to test the value and then branch accordingly, and the branch automatically runs the applicable category-specific validation based on the value of the category for each record.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's pretty slick, thanks for the tip guys

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think there is an easy way to do this. I tried a validation with the following logic:

IS_NOT_NULL([original].[record])

I haven't gotten it to work though. You may have to develop a validation that checks every field, or individual validations for each field. If you are using the Portals iViews (standard content, SP06 Patch 2 or greater), then you can define the fields as required in the MDM Console and I am pretty sure (from reading the release notes) that it will display a notification of some sort for the required fields.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We don't plan to have a front end !! - just using the data manager - how would you make sure all attributes are filled in ?

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

How many attributes are you talking about? If it's not a lot of attributes then the easiest way to do this is with validations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Over 300-400 attributes !! but each node will have a max of 10 - 12 attributes only .

Edited by: Vinay on May 7, 2008 4:33 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you saying it IS possible to build validations for attributes ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You want to avoid building 300 - 400 validations. I'm not sure I understand your requirement fully. Can you elaborate on the "leaf nodes" a bit?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a taxonomy built - which represents the product range across the entire company. This, is in a hierarchial form and has respective attributes which are linked to the leaf nodes.

Requirement is : when the record is created and a node is selected - all its attributes must be populated before the record is saved.

I think I am close to finding out the solution .. will update you soon. Meanwhile .. let me have your thoughts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here goes :

go to validations tab - you will find the attributes option on top greyed out.

this will be selectable only when the validation is a branch validation. So create a validation and then add a branch to that validation. Select the taxonomy lookup table and then select the attributes [which should not be greyed out]

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay

you are corrcet.you can achieve your req in diff ways once you have used the branching.

1.write separate validation for each attribute IS_NOT_NULL(attribute). assign all into 1 validation group and execute it on records selected in data mgr. advantage is u can pop up error msg for the particulat attribute which is blank

2. use AND operator for writing a single validation expression IS_NOT_NULL(attr1)AND IS_NOT_NULL(attr2)AND IS_NOT_NULL(attr3)....so on. But this will have a common error msg and you cannot findout which attibute is blank.

3. Use IS_NOT_NULL(attr1,attr2,att3.......).same demerit as in 2

hope this helped. award points if suitable

Regards-

Ravi Kumar