cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital signatures in DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I understand, when digital signatures are activated for a document upon reaching a particular status, the user is able to enter a digital signature. I have a couple of questions on the implementation and how SAP stores the digital signature information internally.

1. What are the options for implementing the digital signature – just the SAP userid/password, use of a smart card and/or a device to capture a physical signature etc

2. Where does SAP store the digital signature? Is it stored as part of the metadata of the document info record (DIR) or does it get stored on the actual file attached to the DIR and can be seen when the file is printed? From what I have gathered so far, it seems the digital signature information is stored as part of the DIR metadata and can be reported on. In order to view the signature on a printed copy of the document(s) attached to the DIR, custom programming will be required.

I would greatly apprecitate any additional information from those who have implemented digital signatures with DMS and ECM in SAP.

Thanks

Venki

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi venky,

i think u r asking admin activity any how i have some prediction on urs query

Go through this, u may get idea of digital sign

1. Choose Document management  Environment  Find digital signature.

2. Enter the signature data, for examplesigner, date, time

specify whether you want to include signatures with or without a comment

signature strategy data

status of the signature process

1. If necessary, enter key fields in the Find digital signature for data block (you can also specify a value range here).

2. Set the Include signatures for status change of document indicator.

3. Choose Execute.

You see a list of all the documents that match your selection criteria. In this list, you can

• display the individual document info records (Display object)

• display information on the digital signature (Display signatures for selection).

Call up the log for the digital signature as follows

Engineering Change Management (ECH) Reporting  Log for Digital Signature

Process Management (PP-PI) Evaluations  Log for Digital Signature

Batch Record (PP-PI) Goto  Log for digital signature

Altrenative

Also, u can use alert monitoring, this could be admin part. To call the individual functions in the table, choose CCMS ® Control/Monitoring ® Alert Monitor, or call transaction RZ20. Choose Extras ® Activate Maintenance Functions

rgds,

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swamy,

thanks for the response. I understand how digital signature can be used. My questions are very specific. 1. What are the options to capture the digital signature - a) use SAP userid/password 2) smart card 3) some device to capture a physical signature and transfer it on to the document

2. I understand SAP stores the information about the digital signature in some tables and there are transactions to search for that information. If I am say approving a document (DIR) that has an attached drawing(s), when I view or print the drawing, I would like to know if there is a way to include the digital signature info on that drawing. So when I look at that drawing I know who signed off on it and when, instead of having to run some transactions to find the associated DIR and the digital signature info. It seems to me that it should be possible with custom coding. I wanted to know if anyone has already done it and learn from it.

Thanks

Venki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venki,

Digital Signatures are basically a authorized approval provided by the authorized person from which the doc can move on to further process, infact this is an electronically agreement.

With the usual process of setting up digital signatures it might not be possible for you to view or print the digital signatures but to achieve this some additional enhancements are required which you can get by help of Abapers.

Thank You,

Manoj

Pl. reward if useful

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venki,

If you want to use digital signatures for each status do the following procedure

1) Define signature strategy for each status

2) Select status detail and assign signature stragey

3) Under 'Attributes' select 'Content version'

4) Select the 'Status type' as 'Locked'

The way to use digital signature

Customizing Settings:

The required settings are made under Document Management >> Approval >> Define Signature Strategy

Assign a signature strategy to the document status.

Also the required settings are made under Document Management >> Control data >> Define document type >> Define document status. (You can select any status for which you want digital signature for approval)

Assign a signature strategy to the document status.

Save the changes.

Create DIR

Once the Document is reached to that particular status it will ask for digital signature.

Choose Digital signature (Double click on Enter key).

The Digital Signature dialog box appears. Enter your comment in the text field. Select the individual signature strategy is assigned to you DIR. Put the login id and password.Thus the Digital signature process has been completed.

If you want to see the digital signature for your Document. Goto DIR and use menu 'Environment' >> 'Digital Signature'.

thanks

swamy

reward me points if usefull