cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending large messages via ABAP client proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

my scenario is the following. I have an ABAP report which creates files. These files are currently moved by an FTP auto job, to a target folder and are finally imported into an 3rd party programm.

The CSV-files created consist of approx. 3000 records, each with a length of 1000. So the total size is about 3 MB. The files are send at night, once a day.

We want to distribute these files via SAP PI. My question is the following:

Is a client proxy able to send the whole (3MB) message to PI (which will just write the message to the target FTP destination) or do I have to send each record with the client proxy to PI (and append the record to the file).

If both solutions are feasible,what would be preferable? The solution of sending single records to PI, would be more generic in my opinion, because I could define a message type for the records in PI. So in future i could add also some mapping stuff. If I would want to send the whole file content with one client proxy call, i would basically have one big string.

How do both options compare in regard to performance? Sending 3000 small messages oder one big message?

What about the file adapter? Is it an option to append 3000 records to a file?

Does anyone have another solution for that scenario?

Best regards and thank you for your help!

Florian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is a client proxy able to send the whole (3MB) message to PI

yes it is capable.

If both solutions are feasible,what would be preferable?

yes both solutions are feasible ,but preferable is to send the whole message rather than one by one.

How do both options compare in regard to performance?

sending whole message is far more better than sending record by record.

regards,

pradeep A.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx for your replies. Is it a problem for a proxie, if the messages size up to 30 MB?

Best regards

Florian

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to consider this in hardware sizing for PI and sender system.

30 MB is not too much, but when this is the only message with this size, you have to take into account that you size the system just for this message.

In that case it might be better to end the message in pieces of 5 MB.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

Proxies are most efficient in terms of their performance.Also the file adapter can deliver such volume(3Mb)

on the ftp.

so you should use the first approach i.e pick and dump the entire data(all the records).

reward points if helpful

Edited by: Milan Thaker on May 7, 2008 9:09 AM