Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner to MI

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are implementing MI for first time.

Please update us with respect to the following points:

1. We are on Netweaver2004s(SP13)->EP7.0->ECC6.0 Does

it support MI . Are any updates needed .

2. Any business package is required for MI on portal? Please

let me know about the same.

3.To implement this what kind of mobile handset do we require.

Any other guidelines regarding architecture of MI or any other suggestions for beginners are welcome.

Expect points for helpful answers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you are new to SAP MI ...you can have a look on the following doc..

This one is for installation and configuration of MI client

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/60447dc8-19f4-2a10-f59d-89df2068...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/bc48bf90-0201-0010-5a95-b671fea8...

and you'll find many more tutorial on SDN.

If u find this helpful please reward some points.

Regards,

Laboni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laboni,

Thankyou for your response

I already have netweaver 7.0.9 installed on my machine with MI plugin present in it .

1) Wat is the advantage if i use sapnetweaver 7.1 instead of netweaver

7.0.9 ?

2) Wat would be the difference between the two as far as the client

configuration is concerned?

3) Does netweaver 7.0.9 have an inbuilt emulator to test the applications

built for MI?

Regards;

Anzar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually I don't know about the official release of NWDS CE 7.1 .A trail version is available on SDN.

I have use this IDE but never worked on it officially to build some applications.

But NWDS CE 7.1 is much more functional than NWDS 7.0.9 for mobile development.

I don't think there is any difference between the installation & configuration procedures of SAP MI client for these two IDEs.

No, there is no in-built Emulator in NWDS 7.0.9.

I think u have also posted a thread regarding Emulator, I’ve replied to that one also, please find the reply there.

If you think that this information is helpful for u, please reward some points.

Regards,

Laboni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laboni,

When I am trying to synchronise for the first time to get device ID I am getting following error.

Could any body through some light on this please.

• Synchronization started

• Connection set up (without proxy) to: http://XYZ:portno/meSync/servlet/meSync?~sysid=MOB&;

• Connection to server failed.

• Synchronisation problems: Transport-layer (http) sync exception raised (root cause: Exception while synchronizing (java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format))

And let me add that I am using IE6.0 on my machine.

I am doing the client configuration as per your document on MI Client Installation.

*Do I need any patch on R/3 before synchronising.?

Regards,

Anzar Naik

sapna_jgurudutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Anzar Naik,

Can you please add the following parameter to the MobileEngine.config file and try to sync once more and check whether it helps you:

MobileEngine.Datacompression.Gzip=false

It is not mandatory to patch on R/3 before synchronising.

Best Regards,

Sapna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sapna

Thankyou for your response. It worked .But now I am getting a new error

"Synchronisation problems: Format of the synchronization inbound file is not supported; Check sync gateway

"

I am usin SP13 on both Web AS and middleware.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess you are having this error while clicking on the synchronize button on the MI home page...did you get the device Id or did you upload your application?

If you have the syncBO, u must have SAP Logon installed on your PC. Just for your own clarification please check whether the application server ip address of SAP Logon and the SAP MI server ip address are same or not and also check the other details.

There should not be any error. All the configuration files will take care of themselves.

I will just ask you to kindly follow the steps carefully with correct SAP MI server details(that should b correct.. ).

Regards,

Laboni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Laboni ,

1)Yes I am having this error while clicking on the synchronize button on the MI home page.

2)Please clarify wat is Sap Mi server Ip address?And where can I get that for verification.

Please help.

Edited by: anzar naik on May 12, 2008 3:10 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know that u r aware of this .....that SAP MI consists of a server component and a client component.

u trying to configure SAP MI client...

to configure this ....u must have the SAP MI Server details like host name, port etc etc....

u have MI server running on a machine...so use that's ip address...and port #..

since u r getting an error during the synchronization, u don't have the device Id...

I hope u have already completed the following steps.

Please just check if u miss any one of them...

Step 1.

Start the MI client. A logon screen will come.

Step 2.

Select New User.

Step 3.

Enter the SAP MI server user name and password assigned to you by administrative side and save it. This

will display the SAP Mobile Infrastructure Home screen and the username you created is displayed in the

top-left corner and that MI reports that you have no application installed.

Step 4.

Click on Settings.

Step 5.

Enter all the MI server details as you have from your administrative side and click on the save button.

Step 6.

Go back to the Home and Click on the Synchronize icon. Once the synchronization is completed the MI

home will get refreshed automatically and you can see a different welcome message i.e. your user id will be

replaced by your first name and last name.

Step 7.

Then go to the Settings again and you will see the field for device id has got populated.

If it works, please reward some points....

regards,

laboni

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

javed_shaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Architecture Overview and Runtime (Link to eLearning). This session is suitable for mobile beginners as well as for experienced Mobile Infrastructure experts who want to get an overview on the new architecture. It decribes how data is staged, retrieved, distributed and how the mobile client interacts with the server. In this session you will also see several demos with a simple mobile application in action.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e048e20c-7246-2a10-e8a5-8b2b78b5...

New Development Cycle and Tools (Link to eLearning). This session is suitable for mobile beginners as well as for experienced Mobile Infrastructure experts. It explains the development process at a high-level. It describes how data objects are designed, BAPIs are connected and data distribution is modeled. This session will also demonstrate the new design time tools for model-driven frontend design.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/204fc387-6646-2a10-99b7-bba030bc...

javed_shaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use the efollowing Links for more information.

service.sap.com/mi

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-mobile

For a complete overview of all Mobile related Weblogs,

see: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/weblogs/topic/15

how to deploy MI application without using an MI WebConsole.

http://jogel.sdn.googlepages.com/milad

MI LAD: Tool for deploying MI app without using MI WebConsole

/people/jogel.santiago/blog/2006/07/27/mi-lad-tool-for-deploying-mi-app-without-using-mi-webconsole

Mobilizing SAP

/people/tanveer.shaikh2/blog/2006/09/28/mobilizing-sap

NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 is in Ramp Up. Get all info on the new release:

/people/community.user/blog/2007/07/12/live-sessions-get-up-to-date-on-sap-netweaver-mobile-71

Starting a Mobile Project or Upgrading an existing one?

/people/community.user/blog/2007/10/31/starting-a-mobile-project-or-upgrading-an-existing-one

You can find step-by-step instructions on where to find the new NWDS for NW Mobile 7.1 and what you need to do to get the MDK at the following link:

/people/angela.yip/blog/2007/11/21/setting-up-nwds-71-sp01-with-mdk-peter-ng-angela-yip

Cheers!!

SJ.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the scenario mentioned above will support MI. IF you install NW2004s you will have MI 7.0 build in. We have to differentiate clearly between ofline and online usage of MI. If you have an occasionally connected application, then SAP recommends having a dedicated box for MI Middleware cause of performance and datavolume. In that case (occasionally connected) MI will work on mostly any PPC device running Windows Mobile and as well on Laptop devices. If you talk about an online application (and your Portal installation points into this direction) it will work on most of the devices with browser support . Have a look into the MI PAM for a detailed recommendation, cause this changes from time to time due to further development at SAP.

If you want to use occasionally connected Apps - I would recommend the usage if MDK as a starting point. This should give a fairly good understanding of MI architekture.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Oliver