cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache is 100% full. How do I empty it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a cache server (6300.1.15.193). The datavolume sizes add up to 20gb and the ini file parameters are

[CSProxyCache]

Security=1

AdminSecurity=0

ContentStorageName=CC5

CacheSizeMB=20480

Storage=ContentStorage.dll

driver=LiveCache

I am new to most of this. The cache does not seem to function now it is 100% full.

Do I need to empty it? If so how? How do I make it empty automatically or stop it reaching 100% I can add extra datavolumes, but this would only be a temporary solution.

If I were to use Database Manager to drop and re-create the database, would the cache still work or are there some internal database users?

I am fairly new to all this. Are their any good SAP notes or books available that explain the whole concept?

Thanks,

Philip.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

No it is a LiveCache server which is a Maxdb databse alongside a content database. It is used for caching requests from other content servers when a user in a different county requests a document. The cache database is 100% full and this seems to prevent users opening documents from remote content servers.

Thanks,

Philip.

Edited by: Philip Makinson on May 2, 2008 10:51 AM

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Philip,

for me this very much sounds like you are using a Content Server and a Content Server Cache - not a liveCache.

I would assume that the Content Server Cache should run fine when it is configured with the same size as the

Content Server itself. Please check how large the Data Area (sum of data volumes) of the Content Server is and

compare that to the size of the Content Server Cache.

You should also check SAP note 351647.

If this doesn't provide enough information, please open a message on component BC-SRV-KPR-CS.

Best regards,

Melanie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Melanie,

We have a SAP Content Server in Norway which is around 400gb. This server is accessed from satellite servers in locations such as Brazil and Aberdeen. These servers have a small cache on each, as well as their own local Content Servers. We don't wish to have a very large cache on each server. We understood that the cache would be filled and emptied as required. Each cache is probably around 50gb. We use it so the current working set of documents a person may be accessing from the main server in Norway is cached to speed up the access the second time they open the documents.

Everything seems to work fine until the cache fills. It then freezes. The only workaround is to increase the size of the cache. However, we thought the oldest information would just be deleted from the cache and replaced by the new.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

Is there a username / password we can use to connect to the database and delete from the cache tables?

Is there any manuals and training we can consult.

Thanks for your help so far on this. I will also do what you suggested and log a call on this issue.

Philip.

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Philip,

as far as I understand note 351647 you can configure the size of the cache that it removes data from the cache database automatically when the specified size is reached (check file CSProxyCache.INI, entry MaxCacheSize - this value should be 30% smaller than the data area of the database). I don't think that you should remove data manually from the database. But this question probably can be best answered from my colleagues working on component BC-SRV-KPR-CS.

For me it looks like your cache is not configured accordingly to the actual size of the database. Therefore the data volumes get completely filled and all database tasks get suspended until you add a new volume. Once the cache is configured correctly this should not happen again...

Please let me know the result of the call.

Best regards,

Melanie

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I assume you´re talking about a content server, right?

You have to make a difference between the "Cache" (which is in memory) and the data volumes, which are on disk.

It is normal and expected behaviour, that the cache is becoming full to increase speed. If your cache hitrate is 100 % you couldn´t be better!!

Do NOT re-initialize the database, this would empty it and your stored documents would be gone.

Markus