cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regarding mdm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have been working on abap, i want to shift to mdm, i want to know how will the opportunities in mdm and what is the purpourse of mdm,please guide me.

regards

raghu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi raghu,

What is MDM?

MDM is an SAP developed tool to manage master data.It is a configuartion driven tool developed on C++

It is used to perform various useful functionalities on master data like

- Data Cleansing

- Data Standardization

- Data Harmonization

- Data Quality check

- Data consistency and completeness check

Most of the It landscape are very widespread so also there master data .As a result there is no single version of the truth of the master data.

To address these and many more problems one faces with master data SAP has developed this tool.

Being an ABAPer will MDM be useful for me?

To be precise ABAP knowledge is not a prerequisite to learn MDM however if you have some knowledge of the functional side in SAP R/3 it will help.

As an ABAPer if you understand the table structure in R/3 the hierarchy in which data are store etc it will help in MDM data modelling as Data modelling is the initial and most important step when working with MDM.

Besides your ABAP knowledge will help when you are integrating with differnt system especially SAP and BI system .ABAP can be used to write different codes and call several functional Modules which are used to to convert data formats and in RFC connections to enable file taransfers.

But I strongly feel that you do not need any such specific kind of training to attend to learn MDM as MDM is a Configuration driven tool and if you go through the different books available online on SAP help and even SDN then it is sufficient to start with the basic concept sin MDM.

The bible for MDM is MDM reference Guides

There are four ref guides

Console

Data Manager

Import Manager

Syndicator

These guides are sufficient to learn within the MDM box for a beginner.

Kindly reward points if found useful

Thanks

Simona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

PURPOSE OF MASTER DATA MANAGEMENT

Companies can use MDM technologies to gain the following business benefits:

1. Synchronization:

An MDM layer improves the ability to share, consolidate, and analyze business information quickly, both globally and regionally. And it makes it possible to rapidly assemble new, composite applications (software that combines the elements of a business activity in a coordinated application and user interface) out of accurate master information and reusable business processes. For e.g. helps to maintain Universal dimensional structures for multi-organizational regulatory compliance.

2. Reduced time to market.

MDM provides a single system for creating and maintaining product information, promotions, and rich, accurate consumer communications via online and traditional channels. One major retailer used MDM to reduce the time to introduce a new product from four weeks to one day.

3. Supply chain improvements.

A single, accurate and agreed upon definition of products and suppliers, made possible by MDM, eliminates duplication, increases buying power, and provides insight into supplier relationships. A major European retailer is combining MDM with Web Sphere Portal to allow more than 30,000 suppliers to manage their own master information

4. Revenue increases.

MDM contributes to better customer relationships. By creating a single 360 degree view of customers, MDM helps sales, marketing, and service teams better anticipate customer needs, provide targeted offers, and improve customer service. Revenue is increased by, for example, from providing more accurate and comprehensive information to the right customers at point of sale.

5. Realize Internal Efficiency

An MDM layer enables companies to realize internal efficiencies by reducing the cost and complexity of processes that use master data (through fewer code clashes, less data duplication, better control over business processes, and so on). It reduces manual translation and analysis to improve repeatability and speed to insight.

6. Finance and Operations:

MDM can lead to more accurate reporting and BI, more efficient planning and budgeting and enhanced ability for regulatory compliance.

7. Sales and Marketing:

MDM can provide a "single view of the customer," leading to greater customer satisfaction. For example – Spend Analysis is one the trend that is used in Sales and Marketing with the help of MDM, say for example if we say HCL supplies computers to Wipro Technologies and also to Wipro InfoTech, now if HCL uses MDM than the data would be consolidated that is it would see that in total how many computers are being send to Wipro and accordingly HCL can plan out its business with Wipro like how much discount it has to give and all other business related issues.

8. Procurement and Supply Chain Management:

MDM could mean reduced delays in shipment and fewer errors in item coding. For Example – Say we need to deliver a product to out Customer and if we have reliable and correct data, then we can send the Right Product to Right Place and at Right Time, because of which our delay in shipment would be less and it would also reduce the extra cost which the company has to pay for wrong shipment.

9. Product developers:

MDM means faster product launches and a better handle on customer feedback. For Example- We have heard about the companies like Maruti which deals in Cars, now say if Maruti comes out with a new Car Model, then it generally happens that many Customers do the Advance booking for that particular car, now if the data is not maintained properly then Company would not be able to release the product in Time and also this would affect its image in the Market, however if the Product launches on time we will always

get good Customer feedback which would in turn increase the reputation of our Company.

10. Customer Data Integration (CDI):

It is the process of consolidating and managing customer information from all available sources, including his contact details, customer valuation data, and information gathered through interactions such as direct marketing. CDI ensures that all the relevant departments of the company have access to the most current and complete view of customer information available.

Regards

Richa

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

I have been working on abap, i want to shift to mdm, i want to know how will the opportunities in mdm and what is the purpourse of mdm,please guide me.

MDM is very hot in the market now.The product has stabilized a lot and MDM 7.1 is expected to come in October this year.

But MDM market has already picked up its pace. And you being an ABAPer it would always be easier for you to relate MDM as MDM basically involves a lot of integartion to be done with SAP and non-SAP systems. I would also like to suggest you to go ahead and start learning MDM.

To start Learning MDM, you can basically start off with the 4 components of MDM. Please follow the link:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/D7AED5058201B4E10000000A11466F/frameset.htm]

To understand MDM in a better way, kindly go through :

[;

For career prospects in MDM, PLease follow:

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/profile/new%2bto%2bmdm%2b~%2bhow%2bis%2bcareer%2bin%2bsap-mdm]

Hope it helps.

*Please reward points if useful,

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu,

Go through below threads.

Hope it helps

Cheers,

Narendra