Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC6.0 and BW on the same hardware

mahesh_kumar27
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all

I am preparing for the installation of SAP on the following senario please guide me.

1. ECC6.0 and BW are to be installed on same h/w [HP-UX]with different oracle and different SID, ie I will be installing two oracle on the same machine.[we are not going for MCOD]

question here is:-

a. Can we install SAP this way?

b. If yes, Please tell me what precautions I should take during the installation of second oracle for BW.

c. please guide me through the rough procedure.

2. Installation of ECC6.0 in cluster based environment[HP-UX].

we are planning for Active-Active clustering.

My Questions are:-

a. what componants are to be installed on the second node if CI and DB instance are installed on the first one.

b. how will be the partition structure for Active-Active clustering.

Regards

Mahesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. ECC6.0 and BW are to be installed on same h/w [HP-UX]with different oracle and different SID, ie I will be installing two oracle on the same machine.[we are not going for MCOD]

This is a good decision (from an administrative point of view) and because of the fact, that the two databases can be configured on their own (means OLAP vs. OLTP).

> question here is:-

> a. Can we install SAP this way?

Yes - you can.

> b. If yes, Please tell me what precautions I should take during the installation of second oracle for BW.

SAPINST will ask you if you want to use the software installed or if you want to install a new one.

> c. please guide me through the rough procedure.

> a. what componants are to be installed on the second node if CI and DB instance are installed on the first one.

> b. how will be the partition structure for Active-Active clustering.

Check the installation guides - they have a complete section how to install a HA environment.

Another approach to get what you want is to use HP Integrity VM - which can also be clustered using MCSG and will give you a completely isolated environment for both instances as if you had two machines.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/262803-0-0-0-121.html

and

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=sghpvmtk

Markus

mahesh_kumar27
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Thank you very much for ur reply.

I have few more doubts.

a. For cluster.

1. what is the significance of the directory "/export/sapmnt"

as this directory is not created in the normal installation.

2. How much will be the downtime for switchover when primary node is down.

b. Installation of two oracle

1. will the directory /oracle/client be replaced when another instance is installed on the same machine.

if yes is there any harm if it is replaced.

if it is harmful how to deal with this?

Regards

Mahesh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have few more doubts.

> a. For cluster.

> 1. what is the significance of the directory "/export/sapmnt"

> as this directory is not created in the normal installation.

It depends how you set up the clustered filesystems. For a very good guide about the technical infrastructure check

--> Technical Infrastructure Guide

> 2. How much will be the downtime for switchover when primary node is down.

This depends on how fast Oracle can rollfoward/rollback during restart on the second node (I/O speed, size of redo logs etc.)

> b. Installation of two oracle

>

> 1. will the directory /oracle/client be replaced when another instance is installed on the same machine.

> if yes is there any harm if it is replaced.

> if it is harmful how to deal with this?

Check note 651797 - Oracle client software in the UNIX cluster environment

Markus

mahesh_kumar27
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Thank you very much

The two oracles I am installing are not in cluster.

the "Two oracle" senario is in different system other than cluster.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can install oracle release 10.2 more than once on the same system if each installation is installed in a separate Oracle home directory.

also consider Note 98252 - Installing two Oracle databases on a host

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. will the directory /oracle/client be replaced when another instance is installed on the same machine.

if yes is there any harm if it is replaced.

if it is harmful how to deal with this?

/oracle/client has subdirectories under it. It creates a new directory for each version - ie, 81x_64, 92x_64 etc. If you install another instance with a newer version of oracle, it creates a new subdirectory under /oracle/client. If it's the same version, you are fine.

-RK

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Mahesh,

Installing multiple components in the same partition is not an issue. It is called stacking.

By installing SAP products (based on ABAP and Java stacks), you have to enter the "system number". This number and the SID will segregate the disk layout and the ports used by the different applications. I have seen this solution used by lot of major customers in the last 5 years (pharmacieutical, consumer product, manufacturing,...).

Stacking is a great solution for sandboxes, Training and Development systems.

For QAS, it shoud be a decision between the technical team, the validation team and the project management. The pros are cost saving (cpu, memory and labour), you will have more cpu available during the data load phase. The cons are that you will not be able to identify some issues to connected systems (eg SCM and LiveCache), but you can use 2 partitions for your QAS envvironment as a compromise if you have such kind of SAP products).

Also, an other advantage is the ROI. By having a big machine instead of multiple small ones, It will be easier to reuse your hardware when your systems will have to be recyled.

This will minimize

You should also explore the utilization of stacked systems and Adaptive Computing in order to optimize your hardware landscape (especially QAS environment).

Check notes:

21960 Several instances/systems on one UNIX computer

1154448 SAP on HP-UX: Instance number limitations on HP-UX

Best regards.

Frank Markarian

SAP America

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You might see some docs in http://saperptech.com

Cheers

rajeev_das
Participant
0 Kudos

> b. If yes, Please tell me what precautions I should take during the installation of second oracle for BW.

b. If yes, Please tell me what precautions I should take during the installation of second oracle for BW.

Please refer to note 98252 for two instances in one host. Please bear in mind that to have two different Oracle inventory. That way you can reduce the effort required in maintenance. For e.g - you can upgrade once oracle instance (ERP 6.0) and leaving the other (BW) on old version.

Normally it needs to be located in /oracle/<SID>/oraInventory

PS: Awards points if helpful

Cheers,

Rajeev

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

We have an MCOD one with R/3 enterprise and Netweaver BW together in one database. So it should work for ECC 6 and BW too.

I haven't used HP-UX.

Regards,

Siddhesh

mahesh_kumar27
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhesh

Thanks for the reply.

It works fine with MCOD but we are not planning to install it using MCOD we want the different oracle database for R/3 and BW.

Reason:- if we face any issue in oracle of R/3 atleast BW system should be working fine.

regads

Mahesh