cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client copy question - ALE impact

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

We are running R/3 4.6C. I need to do a remote client copy from PRD to QAS using profile SAP_APPL which would bring over customization and current transaction data as well.

Two questions: 1) would it delete the existing customization and transaction data in the target client in QAS?

2) Would it also impact the configuration of ALE stuff like SALE, distribution model BD64, partner profiles for Logical system, etc.

I need to know this because we use ALE a lot to bring back data to QAS and DEV for Org. charts etc.

If you can share your expertise, I would appreciate it.

Regards

Nirmal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Quick question - do workflows (definition, not runtime instances data) get copied back to the target system if do a customization+appli data?

regards

Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nirmal,

Here are the answers:

1) would it delete the existing customization and transaction data in the target client in QAS?

I would rather use the word overwrite instead of delete but I understand what you ae getting at taking a cue from your second question.

2) Would it also impact the configuration of ALE stuff like SALE, distribution model BD64, partner profiles for Logical system, etc.

I need to know this because we use ALE a lot to bring back data to QAS and DEV for Org. charts etc.

Yes it would initilally immediately after the copy but then you can recover it pretty fast through a sound post client copy technique. Make sure that you do BDLS conversion after client copy. Also keep and eye on RFC destinations.It won't be such a bad idea to export RFC destinations before However during the copy data exchange would be impacted but anyways it is QAS .

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Appreciate you quick and detailed response. This will definitely help. I need one clarification on your comment:

"Yes it would initilally immediately after the copy but then you can recover it pretty fast through a sound post client copy technique. Make sure that you do BDLS conversion after client copy."

You meant, I will need to run BDLS as a post client copy technique to recover the impacted ALE stuff ?

Also, is there any other such post client copy operation that I should take care of?

Regards

Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes what you asked is correct. You need to do that after the client copy.

Refer SAP note numbers 325470 and 121163 for steps after client copy.

Although these notes are for BW systems, but will guide you in your process.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Would this also apply if I was copying to an existing client in QAS? I was reading the documentation for BDLS and it mentioned that if you copy application data as well, the logical system names are automatically converted provided that logical system names have been defined in both clients. It goes on to say that, client independent table entries are not converted.

Regards

Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirmal

Always be sure of one thing, even if you do a client copy with Profile SAP_ALL, it will never effect Cross client customizing.

Always client specific customization data is imported.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to do a test run with BDLS. Suppose my PRD client is 100 and I am copying over an existing client in QAS 200, what do I need to input in the 'Old Logical system name' and 'New Logical system name' fields?

Regards

Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirmal

Go through following link:

It will help you resolve your query.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmobile71/helpdata/en/33/c823dbaea911d6b29500508b6b8a93/content.htm

Regards

Rahul