cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Painter Request - Cost Center and WBS Element

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Currently, my company settles all project related expenses through to a cost center by way of an internal settlement cost element (category 21). The issue with this is that when the expense gets to the cost center, they lose all visability as to where the expense originated, such as salaries or travel expense (category 1 cost elements). We can't switch the settlements to the originating cost element from wbs to cost center just because of the additional data/volume that will cause. My thought was to create a report painter that can run by cost center but also show the wbs's that settle to that cost center and group the expenses by primary cost element (cat 1). I'm assuming that there is a way to marry a cost center and wbs element by way of the wbs settlement rule but how would that be done for reporting purposes? I've seen it done before by way of a nightly job that created sets based on the combination of cost center and wbs but I'm not sure how that was done. Any advise and examples?

Example:

Cost Center: IT

WBS: A.0017.01.01 (settles to cost center IT)

Postings made:

1. CC IT and CE 552000 "salaries"..............................$20,000

2. WBS A.0017.01.01 and CE 552000 "salaries"........... $5,000

3. Settlement of WBS to CC (expenses flow through to CC IT by way of CE 985000)

I want to run CC IT and see that the account 552000 really shows $25,000 and can be broken down by cost object (CC and WBS by the amounts above)

Thanks,

Pete

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I had a similar requirement and used report painter report group 1SHK-002 (in library 1VK).

I took a copy of the standard and ameneded it slightly, I switched the explode so it occured on the cost center not cost element.

The report runs so that direct costs on the cost center are shown at primary cost level. And values settled to the cost center are shown on the partner object. In your case i guess WBS Elements (Partner ObjType WBS).

Now in my case I didnt need cost element breakdown on partner level, just on cost center so effectively I have(sorry for text alignment but I hope you get the idea):

GL1 ............. 100

GL2 ............. 250

+ Cost center1 total ....350

GL3 ............. 50

GL4 ............. 100

+ Cost center2 total.... 150

Primary Cost Total ..... 500

X-YZ-1.200 ............. 50

X-YZ-1.400 ............. 100

+ WBS total ............. 150

IO 1............. 100

IO 2 ............. 100

+IO total ............. 200

Partner Total............. 350

Overall total ............. 850.

Its not exactly like your requirement but it might be a good report for you to work with to get what you need.

Elaine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot.

Pete

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elaine,

The library noted would only give me the account settlement detail of the wbs. It was a good try though. I think I need to dive into PCA (library 8A*) in order to get the primary cost element of the wbs to be reported with the cost center primary account.

Can anyone else provide assistance?

Thanks again,

Pete

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any thoughts?

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PCA would address your requirements. There are several reports, when run by PCA will show bothe the CC and WBS that are assigned to them. Or even a custom report would address that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to direct me toward the right library or report to use in order to create a report painter for such a request?

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Look at GR55 t-code, enter 8A* then search (F4). You get a whole range of standard PCA reports. If not readily available, they can be copied from client 000 Utilities>Transport>Import from client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been looking through those already and am having a hard time locating a report that I can run by cost center and then see the expenses that were settled to that cost center but viewed within the originating cost element. Its hard to believe that this isn't a standard report that many people require. An example is noted within my earlier replies.

Thanks again!

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would recommend then, copy PRCTR-00 report from 8A1 and then include cost center hierarchy also into that section.