cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 5 and 4.6 to be planned to run on same system.

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We have a 4.6 system running with backend orale 8.1.7.4.1(central system).

This system is very less frequently used(1 user at a time).

However we cannot dump it.Now we have some problem with its hardware licensing.Hence we need to remove this instance from the existing hardwareA and put into another hardwareB which also runs ECC5 with oracle 9.2.0.6.0(central system).This system is also less frequently used.

In effect we are planning to running both 4.6 and ECC5

in hardwareB.Could you please suggest,is it possible?

Is there any coflict arises due to that?

If it is possible go ahead as below

PLAN A

step1)Take an offline backup of 4.6 which exist in hardwareA.

step2)install 4.6 instance on hardwareB.

step3)Restore the offline backup taken.

But we doubt applicability of the above solution.Is there any PLAN B available?

Thanks and Regards

Syamkrishnan.M.R

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

That was a very helpful answer(I have awarded points for it).But my main doubt is what about the licence? Being installed on a different hardware and consequently a different hardware key, how will we licence this installation?

My guess is that SAP would not be providing license keys for 46C. please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Syam

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

you need to install new SAP license if your hardware is change ( i.e hardware key is change)

My guess is that SAP would not be providing license keys for 46C. please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't think so, if your are not change your SID on target system then you can apply the license for additional

hardware key due to hardware change. if you are also change the SID then go for new license key.

regards,

kaushal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> My guess is that SAP would not be providing license keys for 46C. please correct me if I am wrong.

you will get a license key if you have a maintenance contract for 4.6c.

Markus

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have awarded points for Markus.Kindly put some light into the possibility of System copy in this scenario.Is system copy and Plan A is the same or they are two different process?

If we put two different oracle versions together in a single hardware,would it be a problem?what is MCOD?

Thanks and Regards

Syamkrishnan.M.R

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are two ways of doing a system copy:

- backup/restore

- R3load

The first one is the fastest one - you take an (offline) backup of a system and restore it on a second system. Depending on if there´s already everything in place (kernel, profiles, environment) you can "just restore" according to the guide. If the system is naked, use sapinst/R3setup to install. SAPINST has the functionality to do those kind of system copies, you have to select, that you want to either install a new system or use a backup/restore method.

The second one is a slower one because it will logically export the database using R3load. With that export you can then create a new system with a different tablespace layout/other database versions etc.

MCOD is "Multiple components in one database" - see http://service.sap.com/mcod. Basically it means, that only one database instance is running more than one "schema" is used to separate them. I personally would NOT use that approach for administration reason - e. g. a necessary shutdown of the database will shut down both instances.

You can have more than one ORACLE_HOME having different versions of the database, however, this can become quickly very complicated in administration and - what´s more important - you have no influence which system is taking the power - one system can seriously slow down the other and there´s nothing you can do about it.

Markus

Syamkriz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the repy.

Is this backup restoration step can be avoided by a system copy?

I checked the system copy guides at Check the system copy guides to decide feasibility , but unfortunately couldnt figure out.Could you please help.

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

and

Thanks and Regards

Syamkrishnan.M.R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Do you know if there is any free trial version available for VMware ESX?

Thanks,

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check

http://www.vmware.com/download/esx

If you ask them for an evaluation key they should provide you with the same.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you plan looks good but I would add 1 more step, upgrade to Oracle 9.2 BEFORE doing the migration... because the new machine probably runs on Windows 2003 and won't support Oracle 8.

Markus' VMware solution looks interesting but I had bad performance when running SAP systems on VMware.

One last thing, I would not put 2 production instances on the same server. this is supported but not recommended.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Markus' VMware solution looks interesting but I had bad performance when running SAP systems on VMware.

Did you use VMWare ESX? Not the normal VMware Server you run on your workstation?

One last thing, I would not put 2 production instances on the same server. this is supported but not recommended.

We run many systems together on one server, admittedly, not under VMware but using Xen under Linux - but a big performance impact is not visible. If the box is sized appropriately, it´s not a problem.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

we were using VMware ESX. performance was bad for an APPS server. we had to revert to a physical server.

as for multiple production systems on the same system, I was not talking about some kind of virtualization. but anyways, I prefer keeping my productive system, on standalone machine by themselves and not put all of my eggs in the same bag.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

we were using VMware ESX. performance was bad for an APPS server. we had to revert to a physical server.

really interesting statement - I´ve not heard of such experiences and many people seem to jump on that bandwagon.

as for multiple production systems on the same system, I was not talking about some kind of virtualization. but anyways, I prefer keeping my productive system, on standalone machine by themselves and not put all of my eggs in the same bag.

that is true for sure, it makes handling them and dealing with problems easier. I was proposing virtualization for the fact, that two systems on one box without a software layer in between, that separates them, can be pretty difficult to handle if one system pulls off the performance of the other...

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In effect we are planning to running both 4.6 and ECC5

> in hardwareB.Could you please suggest,is it possible?

> Is there any coflict arises due to that?

Yes - it is possible. You can install several instances on one system. However, you have to be VERY carefull about paths, users, environment variables, instance numbers (they can't be the same) etc.

> If it is possible go ahead as below

> PLAN A

> step1)Take an offline backup of 4.6 which exist in hardwareA.

> step2)install 4.6 instance on hardwareB.

> step3)Restore the offline backup taken.

Yes

> But we doubt applicability of the above solution.Is there any PLAN B available?

You could buy a VMWare ESX license and put those two on the same server appearing as a single machine.

Markus