cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPOSCOL update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey gang,

I'm on R/3 4.6C running on AIX 5.3. My SAPOSCOL is behind ( version 20.81 ) and I need to update it to keep SAP happy doing earlywatch. I pulled down the latest (saposcol_98-10002589) and moved the .car file to my sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory. I stopped the collector (saposcol -k) and then unpacked the .car file into the sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory. Restarted saposcol and then run the saposcol -v to check the version and it still says 20.81 ?? What gives ??

Lloyd Campbell

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lloyd,

Are you sure you were able to unpack saposcol properly.

Cause saposcol int /sapmnt/<SID>/exe generally is owned by user root.

so you need to uncar it somewhere else maybe in /sapmnt/ and then use the root priveleges to copy it over.

Also remember to run shutdown saposcol before copying over or overwriting the original file.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it's unpacked properly, I can see the different date on the saposcol file.

Lloyd Campbell

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is from my DEV system where I am testing the "new" SAPSCOL

-rwsrwxr-x 1 root system 593614 Dec 31 1969 saposcol

I know it was unpacked as I had to correct the permissions on the new saposcol file afterwards. Had an error when I first tried to restart the collector due to the permissions being incorrect.

This is from my PRD system where I have not done any update to SAPOSCOL since the last Kernel update a few wekes ago.

-rwsrwxr-x 1 root system 593618 Jan 13 15:44 saposcol

Lloyd Campbell

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lloyd,

I hope you have followed the procedure mentioned over here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/75/a0c43a1291a74ce10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Regards,

Siddhesh

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just recollected that in newer netweaver based systems although the kernel is installed in /sapmnt/<SID>/exe (alongwith the saposcol in it).

The kernel runs from /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

This happens using the sapcpe , which synchronises the kernel executables, check if there is any older copy present in the following paths depending on how your system is configured:

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/dbg

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/opt

Check this link to understand more about Automatic Adjustment:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4f/37782d21fc11d288cd0000e83539c3/frameset.htm

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Edited by: Siddhesh Ghag on Apr 30, 2008 3:46 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siddhesh,

Well I used the SAP Note 19227, but the instructions are basically the same. the collector is running, I just don't seem to get a newer version ?? Heck SAPOSCOL comes with the Kernel and I just did that 2 weeks ago on PRD but I only moved from 20.79 to 20.81 (Nice job there SAP !!) so my earlywatch report was crying about the 20.79 version before my kernel install and now it's crying about the 20.81 version being out of date. That's why I am trying to do this update independently.

Lloyd

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lloyd,

Did you see my last update, i think that there are multiple versions of saposcol currently existing and when you start saposcol , it is probably starting the older version.

When you do kernel upgrade, you normally stop/start the SAP Instance.

I doubt you have done this during saposcol update, so i think you need to manually sync up the different saposcol versions that 'may' exist.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siddhesh,

I already checked for any other copies laying around, no more saposcol files laying about other than in the oldkernel subdirectory that I created when I did the kernel update (which I knwo was SAPOSCOL version 20.79) , no other versions are around.

Lloyd

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lloyd,

In that case, this must have something to do with the Shared memory segment.

if you recollect the sapstart sequence , you will remember that saposcol is the first process that is started.

It creates a shared memory segment with key 0x4dbe or something similar. all this is documented in the

SAP NOTE 710975 - FAQ: which saposcol should be used on AIX

You can try cleaning up the shared memory belonging to the SAPOSCOL ONLY !

The note gives u details.

Regards,

Siddhesh