cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Solution Manager content across platforms

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a pretty good understanding of Solution Manager's capabilities but need to make a decision about the platform to install it on for our project.

We want to get something up and running quickly so we can learn from it, but this probably wont be the final platform that we use for our implementation and production running.

How difficult is it to take Solution Manager content from an installed server and move it to another one? Can this be done? Will it result in much "downtime" for our project?

What if the final platform is totally different from the initial one - say from SQL Server/Windows to Oracle/AIX - will we still be able to move developed content from old to new?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What if the final platform is totally different from the initial one - say from SQL Server/Windows to Oracle/AIX - will we still be able to move developed content from old to new?

You can do system copies - but the "content" (means solutions, EWAs) are not that easy to transfer since they depend on the CRM structure (Businesspartners, roles of them etc.)

We are in the same situation of having an upgraded SolMan (initally started with 2.1 over 3.1/3.2 to 4.0 with Unicode conversion) with > 7.000 support desk messages which we don't want to loose. Our research to move those messages to a freshly installed SolMan turned out to be too complicated and needing too much time - thus we decided to freeze the current SolMan at some point soon and install a new one and start the implementation from scratch.

It may be possible to export/import certain configurations/settings but as far as I know there is no standard procedure for this.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marcus,

thanks for the reply. We will probably not be using the Service Desk functionality of SolMan and in any event will not be using it during our implementation project. Does this same limitation apply to any other areas of SolMan - eg Business Process Structure, Projects, Test Workbench related content etc?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the corresponding application does not support it you will be lost. It's basically the same as with other "modules", it's not that easy to transfer e. g. a customer order from system A to system B. I remember there was a "solution export" from one version to another (I think it was 2.2 to 3.x).

I'm not sure if the SLO guys could help here but I doubt so. Maybe there are inofficial ways of doing that so I must admit I don't know any.

Markus

Answers (0)