cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checked In Documents By Other person who hasn't checked out

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

I am new to Solution Manager (SM) and I have a requirement in SM. My limited understanding of SM is if a person checked out a document from SM, then only that person will be able to check in the same document after correction. But I have been asked to look whether the check in option can be done others as well but not restricted to the same person who checked out. Any ideas / suggestions please.

Advance Thanks

Ramesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinu,

Thanks for your reply. But what happened is though I clicked Unlock Check-Out, but SM is still asking the other person to check-out before check-in the correct document. My task is group of people have the option to check out the document and check in the same document irrespective who checks out.

Thanks

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramakrishnan,

If anyone ever wants to 'Check In' a document, the prerequisite is that the documen must have been in 'Checked Out' status till that point.

If Person A had 'Checked Out' the document first, but for some reasons isn't able to 'Check In' himself/herself, you can use that 'Unlock Check Out' function.

Once that's done, Person B should 'Check Out' the document to his/her PC, edit whatever is required and then 'Check In'.

The very purpose of Check Out/ Check In is to ensure this discipline is followed.

If, for whatever project reasons, you feel that the people who are supposed to Check Out are perpetually going to be different from those who are going to Check In, may I suggest you another option:

Do not use this button at all and instead, as the team members to launch the document in Change mode right from there, edit and save.

Check Out/Check In merely facilitates the task of 'Offline' editing. If someone is traveling away or working from home, and have the need to carry the document in laptop, a 'Check Out' ensures that none else tampers with it, till this person comes back and Checks In the updated version.

From your brief posts, the intent or purpose isn't clear enough.

I hope this post may make it more clear for you to articulate your project needs.

Cheers,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramakrishnan,

There is one way -

Please select the document (row) that has been checked out, click on 'Attributes' button, in the window that comes up, go to 'General' tab (that's the one highlighted by default).

Look for the icon that looks like an 'open lock' (Unlock Check Out). If you click this, the document becomes immediately editable.

Unfortunately, this icon appears for person other than the one who Checked Out too, therefore, anyone can potentially 'Unlock Check Out' and shove in his/her version of the document.

Also, rather unfortunately, the usage of buttons 'Check Out/In' or of 'Unlock Check Out' do not appear in the History tab of attributes. So, it would be difficult to say who made the override.

Once a person 'Uploads' (or Checks In) a version, only that information gets recorded in History tab.

If my post sounds confusing, please let me know. Else, I hope this answers your query.

Cheers,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Srini, very helpful!