Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Japanese characters showing Junk when opened in MS Excel

Hello Friends,

I have a ABAP report which displays vendor name and address as a list. Some of the vendor address are in Japanese Language and they are displayed properly on the report output ie on screen. (We have logged in as language JA). Now, when the user uses the SAP standard menu ie SYSTEM->LIST->SAVE->Local File-> and selects SPREADSHEET and saves the file as a .XLS on his desktop. When he opens this MS Excel spreadsheet from the desktop...all the Japanese characters are displaying as JUNK!

Since it is displaying properly on SAP, I am assuming this is something to do either with MS Excel or there is something going wrong when SAP downloads to Excel.

How can I get the Japanese characters displayed properly via the spreadsheet. Could anyone kindly help me to resolve this issue.

Our SAP is NON UNICODE enabled. We are on SAP ECC 5 ie 6.40.

Your help is much appreciated.

For me, it was default, 932: japanese (shift - JIS ).

mhh... looks like an interesting issue... what if the file contains, multiple languages like, korean, japanese etc..

why dont you shoot a mail to SAP and ask this ? (as no one in the forum had a better solution ) let us see what they are gonna say...

I was under the impression that unicode UTF 8 shud work...but didnt...

i will try downloading a file with multiple languages..and continue my R & D.

meantime, let me know, if u find a better solution.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question