cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to improve speed of queries that use ORM one table per concrete class

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Many tools that make ORM (Object Relational Mapping) like Castor, Hibernate, Toplink, JPOX, etc.., have the one table per concrete class feature that maps objects to follow structure:

CREATE TABLE ABSTRACTPRODUCT (
    ID VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL,
    DESCRIPTION VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)
//
CREATE TABLE PRODUCT (
    ID VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL REFERENCES ABSTRACTPRODUCT(ID),
    CODE VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL,
    PRICE DECIMAL(12,2),
    PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)
//
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX iProduct ON Product(code)
//
CREATE TABLE BOOK (
    ID VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL REFERENCES PRODUCT(ID),
    AUTHOR VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (ID)
)
//
CREATE TABLE COMPACTDISK (
    ID VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL REFERENCES PRODUCT(ID),
    ARTIST VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)
//

there is a way to improve queries like

SELECT 
    pd.code CODE,    
    abpd.description DESCRIPTION,
    DECODE(bk.id,NULL,cd.artist,bk.author) PERSON
FROM 
    ABSTRACTPRODUCT abpd,
    PRODUCT pd,
    BOOK bk,
    COMPACTDISK cd
WHERE
    pd.id = abpd.id AND
    bk.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    cd.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    pd.code like '101%'

or like this:

SELECT 
    pd.code CODE,    
FROM 
    ABSTRACTPRODUCT abpd,
    PRODUCT pd,
    BOOK bk,
    COMPACTDISK cd
WHERE
    pd.id = abpd.id AND
    bk.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    cd.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    abpd.description like '%STARS%' AND
    pd.price BETWEEN 1 AND 10

think in a table with many rows, then exists something inside MaxDB to improve this type of queries? like some anotations on SQL? or declare tables that extends another by PK? on other databases i managed this using Materialized Views, but i think that this can be faster just using PK, i'm wrong? the better is to consolidate all tables in one table? what is the impact on database size with this consolidation?

note: with consolidation i will miss NOT NULL constraint at database side.

thanks for any insight.

Clóvis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

we don't know yet:

- database version

- execution plan for the queries

- statistics for the tables/indexes

- runtime actual / expected

- database setup

I would propose you check the MaxDB wiki on how to gather the required information [Poor Performance when executing Individual SQL Statements|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/rmk].

For general information on how to check on performance issues with MaxDB see [Tuning MaxDB|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/jRI].

Looking at the DDLs is nice, but does only let room for guesswork.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make CODE in the PRODUCT table the primary key (as ID is just a surrogate key without meaning).

Anyhow - we need more information.

Best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars

The Version is: 7.6.03.07

i dont post here the execution plan, statistics and runtime, because its just a sample, i dont have data for these tables, here in production the tables are more complex, but follow that structure with much more columns and rows.

i'm tunning my database and checked that when i have queries like the 2nd case explained in this post, the things goes too slow, the maxdb first walk, master table, then check child table, and the query dont have a good select ratio.

the idea that i think is, if would possible we have "fast join" for two tables with Indexes, since that tables have one primary key and one side have a foreign key to another, something like:

CREATE INDEX iJoinedIndex ON AbstractProduct(description) AND Product(price)

note, that command is just a "dream", but with this we can tell the optimizer how to execute that query better.

regards

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

without any data in the tables - how will you know what execution plan the optimizer will choose?

This decision is totally dependend on the data and the statistics.

There is just no way to check the execution plan, without data and statistics (this is not a rule based optimizer ... ).

Only-Index-Accesses can and will be used for joins. They are used daily in huge SAP databases.

Why do you think, the optimizer will always first read all the "master table" (I believe you refer to the ABSTRACTPRODUCT table here, do you) ?.

Well - anyhow:

What's the reason here for ABSTRACTPRODUCT at all?

As far as I can see, there is no other table that is "derived" from the ABSTRACTPRODUCT.

So just put the DESCRIPTION field to the PRODUCT table and you've spared one join.

With that it's an easy three table join and for the queries you've given us all the selection criteria are based on the DESCRIPTION, PRICE or the CODE of the PRODUCT table.

PRICE and CODE will surely benefit from beeing indexed.

For DESCRIPTION you'll have to check if it really improves performance to do so.

KR Lars

BTW: usually it's not sensible to try to perform "general" performance tuning.

Better check what is the problem with a specific query - if this problem reoccurs, OK. Then you might have solved several issues at once. But most often it's the tiny differences that makes one query a showstopper and the other blazingly fast.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars,

Maybe you misunderstand what i wish with this post, the idea is to discuss or know how to deal with this type of table structure, the DDL posted here, is just for example, i'm sure you that in another scenario ABSTRACTPRODUCT have more derived tables, i put just one case for us to see the table hierarchy, and think that ABSTRACTPRODUCT have several rows, but to improve our discussion i will add more info below:

1) DDL to create INDEX for description:

CREATE INDEX iAbstractProduct ON AbstractProduct(description)
//

2) script to insert some data:

INSERT INTO ABSTRACTPRODUCT VALUES ('AAAAAAAA','BOOK A')
//
INSERT INTO PRODUCT VALUES('AAAAAAAA','0001',5)
//
INSERT INTO BOOK VALUES('AAAAAAAA','AUTHOR A')
//

INSERT INTO ABSTRACTPRODUCT VALUES ('AAAAAAAB','BOOK B')
//
INSERT INTO PRODUCT VALUES('AAAAAAAB','0002',10)
//
INSERT INTO BOOK VALUES('AAAAAAAB','AUTHOR A')
//

INSERT INTO ABSTRACTPRODUCT VALUES ('AAAAAAAC','BOOK c')
//
INSERT INTO PRODUCT VALUES('AAAAAAAC','0003',15)
//
INSERT INTO BOOK VALUES('AAAAAAAC','AUTHOR A')
//

INSERT INTO ABSTRACTPRODUCT VALUES ('AAAAAAAD','CD A')
//
INSERT INTO PRODUCT VALUES('AAAAAAAD','1001',5)
//
INSERT INTO COMPACTDISK VALUES('AAAAAAAD','BAND A')
//

INSERT INTO ABSTRACTPRODUCT VALUES ('AAAAAAAE','CD B')
//
INSERT INTO PRODUCT VALUES('AAAAAAAE','1002',10)
//
INSERT INTO COMPACTDISK VALUES('AAAAAAAE','BAND A')
//

INSERT INTO ABSTRACTPRODUCT VALUES ('AAAAAAAF','CD C')
//
INSERT INTO PRODUCT VALUES('AAAAAAAF','1003',15)
//
INSERT INTO COMPACTDISK VALUES('AAAAAAAF','BAND A')
//

3) SQL to explain:

SELECT 
    pd.code CODE,    
FROM 
    ABSTRACTPRODUCT abpd,
    PRODUCT pd,
    BOOK bk,
    COMPACTDISK cd
WHERE
    pd.id = abpd.id AND
    bk.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    cd.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    abpd.description like 'BOOK%' AND
//

4) result of explain:

OWNER|TABLENAME     |COLUMN_OR_INDEX|STRATEGY                              |PAGECOUNT
     |ABPD          |               |TABLE SCAN                            |        1
     |PD            |ID             |JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN                   |        1
     |BK            |ID             |JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN                   |        1
     |CD            |ID             |JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN                   |        1
     |              |               |     NO TEMPORARY RESULTS CREATED     |
     |JDBC_CURSOR_38|               |     RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS|        5

5) result of explain of a production system here:

OWNER|TABLENAME     |COLUMN_OR_INDEX       |STRATEGY                               |PAGECOUNT
     |TM            |ITIPOMOVIMENTO1       |INDEX SCAN                             |       19
     |              |                      |ONLY INDEX ACCESSED                    |
     |MF            |IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1|JOIN VIA RANGE OF MULTIPLE INDEXED COL.|     9270
     |              |MY_SACADO             |     (USED INDEX COLUMN)               |
     |              |TIPO                  |     (USED INDEX COLUMN)               |
     |PS            |OID                   |JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN                    |     1339
     |TC            |OID                   |JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN                    |     5279
     |BOL           |OID                   |JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN                    |      490
     |              |                      |     NO TEMPORARY RESULTS CREATED      |
     |JDBC_CURSOR_16|                      |     RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS |     1168

the item 1 was created just if the data on table increases, the optmizer can use the index to avoid TABLE SCAN at first line of item 4, i know that used TABLE SCAN because table have low data.

then as i understand, maybe i'm wrong, the MaxDB, (with index or no) will walk on all rows that have reached by expression "abpd.description like 'BOOK%'" and if matches then join with PD and then check the expression "pd.price BETWEEN 1 AND 10" if true, the row is returned, right?

if i'm right then think that table ABSTRACTPRODUCT have 1 million of rows, and the expression "abpd.description like 'BOOK%'" selects 50% of this rows, and expression "pd.price BETWEEN 1 AND 10" selects 50% of rows in table product, but the "join" only returns 100 qualified rows.

the only way to change this scenario, and speed queries that i know, is consolidate all hierarchy to one table, using the strategy, one table per class hierarchy, and create the right index.

see for example the item 5 the explain its like the item 4, but uses more pages, because its from a production system that have data, , this SQL is one that i get from diagnose monitor, and the selectivity is less than 1%

the ways to solve that, i think, without changing table structures, is if MaxDB support Materialized views, or a way to use a "Joined Index" that Optmizer can use to better Walk between joins.

if you have a better example of how hierarchical tables, with several data, and criteria to select few rows, is only achieved after join, please post here, i just used that sample, to have something to discuss this problem, the source that i'm based to make this sample DDL is from http://www.jpox.org/docs/1_1/inheritance.html, that have a graph that can explain better the table hierarchy.

best regards

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Clovis,

thanks for the Explain plans.

They show exactly what I wanted to tell you: the chosen execution plan depends on the data in the tables.

In your testcase, the tables only have one page each. So the quickest access possible is: read whole tables/indexes.

In the example of the production system you see that there is no tablescan done at all.

Instead an Only-Index-Access is used.

After that the joins via OID are done via the KEY - which is also the fastest join option (perhabs you are aware of the fact, that in MaxDB tables are in fact B*Trees like the indexes).

Anyhow - let's check what happens to your queries, when we load some data:

insert into product
 (Select id, 'x' & id, 99.90 from abstractproduct where id  not like  'A%')
//
 insert into abstractproduct
 (Select rowno, 'MY DESC' from tables a, tables b where rowno <100000)
//
update stat *
//
explain SELECT 
    pd.code CODE,    
FROM 
    ABSTRACTPRODUCT abpd,
    PRODUCT pd,
    BOOK bk,
    COMPACTDISK cd
WHERE
    pd.id = abpd.id AND
    bk.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    cd.id(+) = abpd.id AND
    abpd.description like '%STARS%' AND

TABLENAME	COLUMN_OR_INDEX		STRATEGY					PAGECOUNT	
	ABPD	IABSTRACTPRODUCT	RANGE CONDITION FOR INDEX	     354
								ONLY INDEX ACCESSED	
			DESCRIPTION	     	(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	PD		ID					JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN	    		 394
	BK		ID					JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN	         	 1
									TABLE HASHED	
	CD		ID					JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			     1
			     NO TEMPORARY RESULTS CREATED	
	JDBC_CURSOR_46	 RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS	       526

As you see - you're right At first the index (not the table!) IABSTRACTPRODUCT is scanned for the hits in DESCRIPTION.

Since in all secondary indexes the primary key is stored, the ID is known afterwards, so no table access is necessary here.

With that the product table has to be read for those matching rows to check the prices.

This - as well as the other joins - can be done via primary key access.

So with the current index-structure - this is the optimal access.

Anyhow - the query can be improved. Let's create an index for the price:

create index i_prodprice on product (price)
//
update stat product
//
TABLENAME	COLUMN_OR_INDEX		STRATEGY					PAGECOUNT	
	PD		I_PRODPRICE			RANGE CONDITION FOR INDEX       394
			PRICE	     		(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	ABPD	ID					JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN				354
	BK		ID					JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN				1
	CD		ID					JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN				1
	JDBC_CURSOR_44	  RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS	        5

>the only way to change this scenario, and speed queries that i know, is consolidate all hierarchy to one table, using the strategy, one table per

> class hierarchy, and create the right index.

As you see - not true

> the ways to solve that, i think, without changing table structures, is if MaxDB support Materialized views, or a way to use a "Joined Index" that

> Optmizer can use to better Walk between joins.

Once you provide the right indexes, the join order will be adopted to get better results. For queries like this, neither MVs nor "Joined Indexes" are necessary.

What's important for MaxDB as well as for all other RDBMS is:

Tuning won't be done in a "general" fashion.

Design the tables/indexes and queries to perform. The data structure that is given to you by some modelling tool is not meant to be fast - it's meant to be "general". That usually leads to performance issues and bringing up database features is the wrong direction to solve them.

Better change the cause for the issue!

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars, thanks for your explanations,

but with your solution you still have a low selectivity, walk many rows to return only few rows, the only way to really achieve a better selectivity ratio today in MaxDB is to consolidate all tables in one, i tried to find in another databases what i try to explain here about index join, i think that i found the ideia in:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v111/topic/com.ibm.ddi.doc/ddi244.htm#sii111003305

the ideia is not to change the DDL for tables, but implement a new feature that where clauses that uses that type of structure, can act as a consolidate table.

best regards.

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

true - the selectivity does not change here.

You still want to see only a few rows.

But the performance will be increased to a sufficient level.

The concept you wish for does exists in other datbases. E.g. Oracle has this - and for SAP systems this functionality has been disabled...

The point in query tuning cannot be to think up database features that may or may not help to bring up a optimal 100% selectivity for an outer join (which would render it ridiculous).

The goal has to be to bring the response time to the desired level.

What response time do you need? What do you get?

BTW: the prejoined indexes also need to be maintained! Think about it - everytime you insert, update, delete one row in one of the tables, the database has to actually perform the join to set up the index again.

So, I believe I got your point. New features are always nice to play with, but most often they are not the salvation for badly designed databases.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Today the query to return first row, reply after 382128ms its about 6 minutes, and the problem explained by the diagnose monitor is the selectivity, well, with our discusion, to continue using MaxDB and have future speed i must consolidate all table hierarchy to one table, as i dont understand the internal structures of MaxDB, how much space will be consumed if i change the DDL to:

CREATE TABLE PRODUCT (
    ID VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL,
    DESCRIPTION VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL,
    CODE VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL,
    PRICE DECIMAL(12,2),
    AUTHOR VARCHAR(60),
    ARTIST VARCHAR(60),
    PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)
//

i'm right to think that colums dont used by a Row, dont consume space? then i dont have a great impact on storage?

best regards

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hi Lars,

Hi again Clovis!

> Today the query to return first row, reply after 382128ms its about 6 minutes, and the problem explained by the diagnose monitor is the selectivity, well, with our discusion, to continue using MaxDB and have future speed i must consolidate all table hierarchy to one table, as i dont understand the internal structures of MaxDB, how much space will be consumed if i change the DDL to:

Hmm... basically if you really want to "consolidate" your table, go ahead. It's your table after all

But until now I don't see how you're approach is going to make anything faster.

You still will need the right indexes to support your queries. If you query for a certain price and that field has no index, the database will have to read all the rows. The same goes for the description.

6 Minutes is really a long time - but it does not tell us, where the time was spent. How many rows should have been returned for that query?

How did the query look like? What looked the involved tables/indexes like?

If you give us the necessary information, we will try to help you with the performance issue. Otherwise it's just guessing around...

You see, the major issue is not whether to denormalize or not. But to see where the time is spend and if it is necessary that the time is spend there.

That cannot be done - as already said - in a general manner.

With the tables and indexes you create the data structures for your application. These have to be fitted to your application.

The one size fits all approach simply does not work here.

>

CREATE TABLE PRODUCT (
>     ID VARCHAR(8) NOT NULL,
>     DESCRIPTION VARCHAR(60) NOT NULL,
>     CODE VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL,
>     PRICE DECIMAL(12,2),
>     AUTHOR VARCHAR(60),
>     ARTIST VARCHAR(60),
>     PRIMARY KEY(ID)
> )
> //

>

> i'm right to think that colums dont used by a Row, dont consume space? then i dont have a great impact on storage?

Nope, sorry, if you put NULL in a column, it has to be denoted - so it will use some space (but of course not the whole maximum possible size).

Ah - BTW - if I look at your proposal for "consolidation": Why not combine the fields AUTHOR/ARTIST? As far as I've seen these fields have the very same semantic meaning for any product: CREATOR.

If the product is a CD - then it's a ARTIST. If it's a book, then it's an AUTHOR. If you like you can add a PRODUCTTYPE to distinguish both types and create views for BOOKS and CDS and rename the CREATOR field appropriately.

> best regards

>

> Clóvis

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

The SQL statement of above explain is:

SELECT 
    MF.OID OID,     
    MF.MY_SACADO MY_SACADO,     
    MF.MY_CEDENTE MY_CEDENTE,     
    PS.ABREVIACAO NOME_CEDENTE,     
    MF.VALOR VALOR,     
    MF.DATA DATA,     
    MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO,     
    TM.ID_SYS ID_SYS_TIPO_MOVIMENTO,     
    MF.SITUACAO SITUACAO,     
    MF.OBSERVACAO OBSERVACAO,     
    TC.NUMERO NUMERO,     
    TC.SUBCLASS SUBCLASS,     
    TC.TIPO_COBRANCA TIPO_COBRANCA,     
    TC.DATA_EMISSAO DATA_EMISSAO,     
    TC.DATA_PAGAMENTO DATA_PAGAMENTO,     
    TC.DATA_VENCIMENTO DATA_VENCIMENTO,     
    TC.VLR_PAGO VLR_PAGO,     
    TC.VLR_MULTA VLR_MULTA,     
    TC.VLR_JUROS VLR_JUROS,     
    TC.VLR_DESCONTO VLR_DESCONTO,     
    BOL.MY_CONFIGURACAO_BOLETO CFG_BOL 
FROM MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO MF,     
    TITULOCOBRANCA TC,     
    BOLETO BOL,     
    PESSOA PS,     
    TIPOMOVIMENTO TM 
WHERE TC.OID = MF.OID AND     
    BOL.OID(+) = TC.OID AND     
    MF.MY_SACADO = 'AAAAAZAT' AND     
    PS.OID = MF.MY_CEDENTE AND
    TM.OID = MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO AND
    MF.SITUACAO BETWEEN '0' AND '7' AND
    MF.TIPO = 'CE' AND     
    TC.DATA_VENCIMENTO BETWEEN '2008-01-01 00:00:00.000' AND '2008-05-03 23:59:59.000'
ORDER BY TC.DATA_VENCIMENTO, TC.NUMERO

explanation

1) all OID columns is the primary key.

2) the table Boleto extends TituloCobranca that extends MovimentoFinanceiro. (joined by OID fields)

3) the execution time is 331140 ms and returns 2033 rows

4) the count of MovimentoFinanceiro with above where clause is 22662 rows.

5) the count of MovimentoFinanceiro without where is 821021 rows.

6) the count of TituloCobranca with above where clause is 52271 rows. (this table have a index on data_Vencimento field).

7) the count of TituloCobranca without where is 390493.

note: i post the Product idea just for example, and to have an English example, this table is the real table running in my application and i dont know how to translate to a English like, but this maybe the better translation:

MovimentoFinanceiro = Financial movement

TituloCobranca = Receivables for collection

Boleto = Bank payment slip

TipoMovimento = Type of Movement

Pessoa = Person

then what is your suggestion to make this execute fast?

KR

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis,

Ok, let's see.

We don't have the exact statistics for all tables, we don't know about the index-structure and we don't have the execution plan.

Not too much to discuss here...

Anyhow, are there indexes for these conditions in place?

- MF.MY_SACADO = 'AAAAAZAT'

- MF.MY_CEDENTE

- MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO

- MF.SITUACAO BETWEEN '0' AND '7'

- MF.TIPO = 'CE' AND

Specifically an index on TC (DATA_VENCIMENTO, NUMERO) might be helpful.

• How many different TIPO_MOVIMENTO entries are there?

It might be a good idea to make the TIPO the primary key of the table TipoMovimento. That way you can save a join to the table here.

• The same question goes for CFG_BOL - could this be a prim key on BOLETO?

• for that query a index on MF (OID, MY_SACADO, MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO, SITUACAO) may be helpful

(if the TIPO is selectable via the primkey, include it into the index after OID).

That way, the join could be started at TC (52.271 rows), joined against the MF (22.662 rows left)

• Did you update the statistics for the tables? Did you update statistics for the join columns?

(UPDATE STAT ) (UPDATE STAT COLUMN () FOR <tablename>)

• What does the application exactly do with those 2033 rows? If some kind of aggregration should be done, than it might be worth to consider doing it in the database.

• Is the ORDER BY really needed?

Due to the lack of further data I can only give you these general hints.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

i will reply on every question.

> Hi Clovis,

>

> Ok, let's see.

> We don't have the exact statistics for all tables, we don't know about the index-structure and we don't have the execution plan.

execution plan

OWNER	TABLENAME	COLUMN_OR_INDEX			STRATEGY				PAGECOUNT
	TM		ITIPOMOVIMENTO1			INDEX SCAN				22
							ONLY INDEX ACCESSED	
	MF		IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1		JOIN VIA RANGE OF MULTIPLE INDEXED COL.	9270
			MY_SACADO	     		(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
			TIPO	     			(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	PS		OID				JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			1339
	TC		OID				JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			6509
	BOL		OID				JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			490
	JDBC_CURSOR_17		     			RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS	1234

indexes of MovimentoFinanceiro

INDEXNAME		COLUMNNAME	SORT	COLUMNNO	DATATYPE	LEN	INDEX_USED	FILESTATE	DISABLED
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	MY_SACADO	ASC	1		CHAR		8	448025		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	TIPO		ASC	2		CHAR		2	448025		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	DATA		ASC	3		TIMESTAMP	20	448025		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX2	MY_CEDENTE	ASC	1		CHAR		8	154709		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX2	TIPO		ASC	2		CHAR		2	154709		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX2	DATA		ASC	3		TIMESTAMP	20	154709		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO3	MY_CEDENTE	ASC	1		CHAR		8	9770		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO3	MY_SACADO	ASC	2		CHAR		8	9770		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO3	TIPO		ASC	3		CHAR		2	9770		OK		NO
IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO3	SITUACAO	ASC	4		CHAR		1	9770		OK		NO

indexes of TituloCobranca

INDEXNAME		COLUMNNAME	SORT	COLUMNNO	DATATYPE	LEN	INDEX_USED	FILESTATE	DISABLED
ITITULOCOBRANCA		DATA_EMISSAO	ASC	1		TIMESTAMP	20	1310		OK		NO
ITITULOCOBRANCA1	DATA_VENCIMENTO	ASC	1		TIMESTAMP	20	28696		OK		NO
ITITULOCOBRANCA2	DATA_PAGAMENTO	ASC	1		TIMESTAMP	20	128		OK		NO
ITITULOCOBRANCA3	NUMERO		ASC	1		CHAR		12	35861		OK		NO

OPTIMIZERSTATISTICS of MovimentoFinanceiro

TABLENAME		INDEXNAME		COLUMNNAME		DISTINCTVALUES	PAGECOUNT
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			DATA			2666		?
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			MY_CEDENTE		12643		?
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			MY_SACADO		72828		?
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO	522		?
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			OID			675349		?
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			TIPO			8		?
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	?	?		3926
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX2	?	?		2751
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO3	?	?		2282
MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			TABLE STATISTICS	675349		9270

OPTIMIZERSTATISTICS of TituloCobranca

TABLENAME	INDEXNAME		COLUMNNAME		DISTINCTVALUES	PAGECOUNT
TITULOCOBRANCA	?			DATA_EMISSAO		2454		?
TITULOCOBRANCA	?			DATA_PAGAMENTO		2076		?
TITULOCOBRANCA	?			DATA_VENCIMENTO		2933		?
TITULOCOBRANCA	?			NUMERO			207798		?	
TITULOCOBRANCA	?			OID			390457		?	
TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA2	?			?		902
TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA		?			?		895
TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA1	?			?		885
TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA3	?			?		1440
TITULOCOBRANCA	?			TABLE STATISTICS	390457		6509

files and roots of MovimentoFinanceiro

TYPE	TABLENAME		INDEXNAME		ENTRYCOUNT	TREEINDEXSIZE	TREELEAVESSIZE	LOBSIZE
INDEX	MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO3	144571		1008		18264		0
TABLE	MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	?			821639		336		91832		0
INDEX	MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	374533		160		31408		0
INDEX	MOVIMENTOFINANCEIRO	IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX2	204274		120		22008		0

files and roots of TituloCobranca

TYPE	TABLENAME	INDEXNAME		ENTRYCOUNT	TREEINDEXSIZE	TREELEAVESSIZE	LOBSIZE
TABLE	TITULOCOBRANCA	?			390857		92		52128		0
INDEX	TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA2	2076		816		7216		0
INDEX	TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA		2455		968		7160		0
INDEX	TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA1	2933		608		7080		0
INDEX	TITULOCOBRANCA	ITITULOCOBRANCA3	208003		64		11520		0

if i miss something, please tell me.

> Not too much to discuss here...

>

> Anyhow, are there indexes for these conditions in place?

> - MF.MY_SACADO = 'AAAAAZAT'

> - MF.MY_CEDENTE

> - MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO

> - MF.SITUACAO BETWEEN '0' AND '7'

> - MF.TIPO = 'CE' AND

>

not in this exact sequence, see above

> Specifically an index on TC (DATA_VENCIMENTO, NUMERO) might be helpful.

>

today have a index for tc.data_vencimento

> * How many different TIPO_MOVIMENTO entries are there?

the table TipoMovimento have 1029 rows, and the SQL have just only 125 different references.

> It might be a good idea to make the TIPO the primary key of the table TipoMovimento. That way you can save a join to the table here.

Tipo, because? since the table have the primary key OID ? i dont know because what the primary key OID isnt used for table TipoMovimento, since the where clause is TM.OID = MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO and the TM.OID is the primary key.

>

> * The same question goes for CFG_BOL - could this be a prim key on BOLETO?

no, all my primary keys is OID.

>

> * for that query a index on MF (OID, MY_SACADO, MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO, SITUACAO) may be helpful

> (if the TIPO is selectable via the primkey, include it into the index after OID).

i dont understand because what a index with primary key as the first column may increase the speed of query, since this dont create any sequential range, you can explain me?

>

> That way, the join could be started at TC (52.271 rows), joined against the MF (22.662 rows left)

>

> * Did you update the statistics for the tables? Did you update statistics for the join columns?

> (UPDATE STAT ) (UPDATE STAT COLUMN () FOR <tablename>)

>

i'm using auto update statistics this dont works?

> * What does the application exactly do with those 2033 rows? If some kind of aggregration should be done, than it might be worth to consider doing it in the database.

its used to show a report, detailed, and after the group of Data_Vencimento, have a sum of the values.

>

> * Is the ORDER BY really needed?

its used to group rows for report internal calculations.

>

> Due to the lack of further data I can only give you these general hints.

i think that now i post the required data, if i miss something, please tell me, and i post the required data.

>

> KR Lars

regards

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Clovis,

not a easy one here, that's for sure ...

Anyhow...

The problem seems to be that the starting table is not a good choice here.

At the first step a index of TM is completely read to obtain a list of TM.OID and TM.ID_SYS. This list is then 1029 entries long.

Question: Is ID_SYS also UNIQUE?

If this would be the primary key of TM instead of OID, then you would have the values already in MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO and save a join.

(* sorry, I mixed up the field in my last reply *)

To join the intermediate list of 1029 rows, the MF table is accessed but only TIPO and MY_SACADO can be used for filtering the rows on this index access. For further processing the table has to be read as well.

So for this join step, all rows of MF that fit to MY_SACADO = 'AAAAAZAT' and MF.TIPO = 'CE' are read and compared to MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO= TM.OID.

If there would be an index including MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO the join could be done more efficient here.

The next join is a kind of lookup to the persons table - should be ok like it is.

But then the join to the TC table is not too nice again, as the range on the time condition is not exploited.

Since the join condition is MF.OID = TC.OID, the optimizer uses the KEY to perform the join.

If there would be an index like (ID, DATA_VENCIMENTO) than it might be taken as it reduces the list of fitting rows earlier.

Concerning the aggregation of data in your application: I would try to leave this to the database as it might optimize the access further.

Since the tables are not that big I'm wondering how your instance is setup. Could you post some detaiils on the machine config (CPUs, Cache size, No. of Volumes, Size of Volums, OPTIM*-Parameters)? Somehow the execution time does not fit what I would expect from such a plan.

Did you use the DBAnalyzer already for bottleneck analysis?

Would it be possible for you to export the tables and send the data to me so that I can reproduce the statement in-house at SAP?

It's quite difficult to try to tune a statement just 'on paper'.

best Regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

i dont understand because the optimizer get that Index for TM at execution plan, and because dont use the join via KEY column, note the WHERE clause is "TM.OID = MF.MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO" by the key column, and the optimizer uses an INDEX that the indexed column is ID_SYS, that isnt and cant be a primary key, because its not UNIQUE, follow the index columns:

indexes of TipoMovimento

INDEXNAME	COLUMNNAME		SORT	COLUMNNO	DATATYPE	LEN	INDEX_USED	FILESTATE	DISABLED
ITIPOMOVIMENTO	TIPO			ASC	1		VARCHAR		2	220546		OK		NO
ITIPOMOVIMENTO	ID_SYS			ASC	2		CHAR		6	220546		OK		NO
ITIPOMOVIMENTO	MY_CONTA_DEBITO		ASC	3		CHAR		8	220546		OK		NO
ITIPOMOVIMENTO	MY_CONTA_CREDITO	ASC	4		CHAR		8	220546		OK		NO
ITIPOMOVIMENTO1	ID_SYS			ASC	1		CHAR		6	567358		OK		NO
ITIPOMOVIMENTO2	DESCRICAO		ASC	1		VARCHAR		60	94692		OK		NO

after i create the index iTituloCobrancaX7 on TituloCobranca(OID,DATA_VENCIMENTO) in a backup instance and get surprised with the follow explain:

OWNER	TABLENAME	COLUMN_OR_INDEX		STRATEGY				PAGECOUNT	
	TC		ITITULOCOBRANCA1	RANGE CONDITION FOR INDEX		5368	
			DATA_VENCIMENTO	     	(USED INDEX COLUMN)		
	MF		OID			JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			9427	
	TM		OID			JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			22	
						TABLE HASHED		
	PS		OID			JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			1350	
	BOL		OID			JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			497	
	JDBC_CURSOR_19				RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS	988

note that now the optimizer gets the index ITITULOCOBRANCA1 as i expected, if i drop the new index iTituloCobrancaX7 the optimizer still getting this execution plan, with this the query executes at 110 ms, with that great news i do same thing in the production system, but the execution plan dont changes, and i still getting a long execution time this time at 413516 ms. maybe the problem is how optimizer measure my tables.

i checked in DBAnalyser that the problem is catalog cache hit rate (we discussed this at [catalog cache hit rate, how to increase?|;

) and the low selectivity of this SQL command, then its because of this that to achieve a better selectivity i must have an index with, MF.MY_SACADO, MF.TIPO and TC.DATA_VENCIMENTO, as explained in previous posts, since this type of index inside MaxDB isnt possible, i have no choice to speed this type of query without changing tables structure.

MaxDB developers can develop this type of index? or a feature like this dont have any plans to be made?

if no, i must create another schema, to consolidate tables to speed queries on my system, but with this consolidation i will get more overhead, i must solve the less selectivity because i think if the data on tables increase, the query becomes impossible, i see that CREATE INDEX supports FUNCTION, maybe a FUNCTION that join data of two tables can solve this?

about instance configuration it is:

Machine:

Version:       '64BIT Kernel'
Version:       'X64/LIX86 7.6.03   Build 007-123-157-515'
Version:       'FAST'
Machine:       'x86_64'
Processors:    2 ( logical: 8, cores: 8 )

data volumes:

ID	MODE	CONFIGUREDSIZE	USABLESIZE	USEDSIZE	USEDSIZEPERCENTAGE	DROPVOLUME	TOTALCLUSTERAREASIZE	RESERVEDCLUSTERAREASIZE	USEDCLUSTERAREASIZE	PATH	
1	NORMAL	4194304		4194288		379464		9			NO		0			0			0			/db/SPDT/data/data01.dat	
2	NORMAL	4194304		4194288		380432		9			NO		0			0			0			/db/SPDT/data/data02.dat	
3	NORMAL	4194304		4194288		379184		9			NO		0			0			0			/db/SPDT/data/data03.dat	
4	NORMAL	4194304		4194288		379624		9			NO		0			0			0			/db/SPDT/data/data04.dat	
5	NORMAL	4194304		4194288		380024		9			NO		0			0			0			/db/SPDT/data/data05.dat

log volumes:

ID	CONFIGUREDSIZE	USABLESIZE	PATH			MIRRORPATH
1	51200		51176		/db/SPDT/log/log01.dat	?

parameters:

KERNELVERSION                    	KERNEL    7.6.03   BUILD 007-123-157-515
INSTANCE_TYPE                    	OLTP
MCOD                             	NO
_SERVERDB_FOR_SAP                	YES
_UNICODE                         	NO
DEFAULT_CODE                     	ASCII
DATE_TIME_FORMAT                 	ISO
CONTROLUSERID                    	DBM
CONTROLPASSWORD                  	
MAXLOGVOLUMES                    	2
MAXDATAVOLUMES                   	11
LOG_VOLUME_NAME_001              	/db/SPDT/log/log01.dat
LOG_VOLUME_TYPE_001              	F
LOG_VOLUME_SIZE_001              	6400
DATA_VOLUME_NAME_0005            	/db/SPDT/data/data05.dat
DATA_VOLUME_NAME_0004            	/db/SPDT/data/data04.dat
DATA_VOLUME_NAME_0003            	/db/SPDT/data/data03.dat
DATA_VOLUME_NAME_0002            	/db/SPDT/data/data02.dat
DATA_VOLUME_NAME_0001            	/db/SPDT/data/data01.dat
DATA_VOLUME_TYPE_0005            	F
DATA_VOLUME_TYPE_0004            	F
DATA_VOLUME_TYPE_0003            	F
DATA_VOLUME_TYPE_0002            	F
DATA_VOLUME_TYPE_0001            	F
DATA_VOLUME_SIZE_0005            	524288
DATA_VOLUME_SIZE_0004            	524288
DATA_VOLUME_SIZE_0003            	524288
DATA_VOLUME_SIZE_0002            	524288
DATA_VOLUME_SIZE_0001            	524288
DATA_VOLUME_MODE_0005            	NORMAL
DATA_VOLUME_MODE_0004            	NORMAL
DATA_VOLUME_MODE_0003            	NORMAL
DATA_VOLUME_MODE_0002            	NORMAL
DATA_VOLUME_MODE_0001            	NORMAL
DATA_VOLUME_GROUPS               	1
LOG_BACKUP_TO_PIPE               	NO
MAXBACKUPDEVS                    	2
LOG_MIRRORED                     	NO
MAXVOLUMES                       	14
LOG_IO_BLOCK_COUNT               	8
DATA_IO_BLOCK_COUNT              	64
BACKUP_BLOCK_CNT                 	64
_DELAY_LOGWRITER                 	0
LOG_IO_QUEUE                     	50
_RESTART_TIME                    	600
MAXCPU                           	8
MAX_LOG_QUEUE_COUNT              	0
USED_MAX_LOG_QUEUE_COUNT         	8
LOG_QUEUE_COUNT                  	1
MAXUSERTASKS                     	500
_TRANS_RGNS                      	8
_TAB_RGNS                        	8
_OMS_REGIONS                     	0
_OMS_RGNS                        	7
OMS_HEAP_LIMIT                   	0
OMS_HEAP_COUNT                   	8
OMS_HEAP_BLOCKSIZE               	10000
OMS_HEAP_THRESHOLD               	100
OMS_VERS_THRESHOLD               	2097152
HEAP_CHECK_LEVEL                 	0
_ROW_RGNS                        	8
RESERVEDSERVERTASKS              	16
MINSERVERTASKS                   	28
MAXSERVERTASKS                   	28
_MAXGARBAGE_COLL                 	1
_MAXTRANS                        	4008
MAXLOCKS                         	120080
_LOCK_SUPPLY_BLOCK               	100
DEADLOCK_DETECTION               	4
SESSION_TIMEOUT                  	180
OMS_STREAM_TIMEOUT               	30
REQUEST_TIMEOUT                  	5000
_IOPROCS_PER_DEV                 	2
_IOPROCS_FOR_PRIO                	0
_IOPROCS_FOR_READER              	0
_USE_IOPROCS_ONLY                	NO
_IOPROCS_SWITCH                  	2
LRU_FOR_SCAN                     	NO
_PAGE_SIZE                       	8192
_PACKET_SIZE                     	131072
_MINREPLY_SIZE                   	4096
_MBLOCK_DATA_SIZE                	32768
_MBLOCK_QUAL_SIZE                	32768
_MBLOCK_STACK_SIZE               	32768
_MBLOCK_STRAT_SIZE               	16384
_WORKSTACK_SIZE                  	8192
_WORKDATA_SIZE                   	8192
_CAT_CACHE_MINSIZE               	262144
CAT_CACHE_SUPPLY                 	131072
INIT_ALLOCATORSIZE               	262144
ALLOW_MULTIPLE_SERVERTASK_UKTS   	NO
_TASKCLUSTER_01                  	tw;al;ut;2000*sv,100*bup;10*ev,10*gc;
_TASKCLUSTER_02                  	ti,100*dw;63*us;
_TASKCLUSTER_03                  	equalize
_DYN_TASK_STACK                  	NO
_MP_RGN_QUEUE                    	YES
_MP_RGN_DIRTY_READ               	DEFAULT
_MP_RGN_BUSY_WAIT                	DEFAULT
_MP_DISP_LOOPS                   	2
_MP_DISP_PRIO                    	DEFAULT
MP_RGN_LOOP                      	-1
_MP_RGN_PRIO                     	DEFAULT
MAXRGN_REQUEST                   	-1
_PRIO_BASE_U2U                   	100
_PRIO_BASE_IOC                   	80
_PRIO_BASE_RAV                   	80
_PRIO_BASE_REX                   	40
_PRIO_BASE_COM                   	10
_PRIO_FACTOR                     	80
_DELAY_COMMIT                    	NO
_MAXTASK_STACK                   	512
MAX_SERVERTASK_STACK             	500
MAX_SPECIALTASK_STACK            	500
_DW_IO_AREA_SIZE                 	50
_DW_IO_AREA_FLUSH                	50
FBM_VOLUME_COMPRESSION           	50
FBM_VOLUME_BALANCE               	10
_FBM_LOW_IO_RATE                 	10
CACHE_SIZE                       	262144
_DW_LRU_TAIL_FLUSH               	25
XP_DATA_CACHE_RGNS               	0
_DATA_CACHE_RGNS                 	64
XP_CONVERTER_REGIONS             	0
CONVERTER_REGIONS                	8
XP_MAXPAGER                      	0
MAXPAGER                         	64
SEQUENCE_CACHE                   	1
_IDXFILE_LIST_SIZE               	2048
VOLUMENO_BIT_COUNT               	8
OPTIM_MAX_MERGE                  	500
OPTIM_INV_ONLY                   	YES
OPTIM_CACHE                      	NO
OPTIM_JOIN_FETCH                 	0
JOIN_SEARCH_LEVEL                	0
JOIN_MAXTAB_LEVEL4               	16
JOIN_MAXTAB_LEVEL9               	5
_READAHEAD_BLOBS                 	32
CLUSTER_WRITE_THRESHOLD          	80
CLUSTERED_LOBS                   	NO
RUNDIRECTORY                     	/var/opt/sdb/data/wrk/SPDT
OPMSG1                           	/dev/console
OPMSG2                           	/dev/null
_KERNELDIAGFILE                  	knldiag
KERNELDIAGSIZE                   	800
_EVENTFILE                       	knldiag.evt
_EVENTSIZE                       	0
_MAXEVENTTASKS                   	2
_MAXEVENTS                       	100
_KERNELTRACEFILE                 	knltrace
TRACE_PAGES_TI                   	2
TRACE_PAGES_GC                   	20
TRACE_PAGES_LW                   	5
TRACE_PAGES_PG                   	3
TRACE_PAGES_US                   	10
TRACE_PAGES_UT                   	5
TRACE_PAGES_SV                   	5
TRACE_PAGES_EV                   	2
TRACE_PAGES_BUP                  	0
KERNELTRACESIZE                  	5369
EXTERNAL_DUMP_REQUEST            	NO
_AK_DUMP_ALLOWED                 	YES
_KERNELDUMPFILE                  	knldump
_RTEDUMPFILE                     	rtedump
_UTILITY_PROTFILE                	dbm.utl
UTILITY_PROTSIZE                 	100
_BACKUP_HISTFILE                 	dbm.knl
_BACKUP_MED_DEF                  	dbm.mdf
_MAX_MESSAGE_FILES               	0
_SHMKERNEL                       	44601
__PARAM_CHANGED___               	0
__PARAM_VERIFIED__               	2008-05-03 23:12:55
DIAG_HISTORY_NUM                 	2
DIAG_HISTORY_PATH                	/var/opt/sdb/data/wrk/SPDT/DIAGHISTORY
_DIAG_SEM                        	1
SHOW_MAX_STACK_USE               	NO
SHOW_MAX_KB_STACK_USE            	NO
LOG_SEGMENT_SIZE                 	2133
_COMMENT                         	
SUPPRESS_CORE                    	YES
FORMATTING_MODE                  	PARALLEL
FORMAT_DATAVOLUME                	YES
OFFICIAL_NODE                    	
UKT_CPU_RELATIONSHIP             	NONE
HIRES_TIMER_TYPE                 	CPU
LOAD_BALANCING_CHK               	30
LOAD_BALANCING_DIF               	10
LOAD_BALANCING_EQ                	5
HS_STORAGE_DLL                   	libhsscopy
HS_SYNC_INTERVAL                 	50
USE_OPEN_DIRECT                  	YES
USE_OPEN_DIRECT_FOR_BACKUP       	NO
SYMBOL_DEMANGLING                	NO
EXPAND_COM_TRACE                 	NO
JOIN_TABLEBUFFER                 	128
SET_VOLUME_LOCK                  	YES
SHAREDSQL                        	YES
SHAREDSQL_CLEANUPTHRESHOLD       	25
SHAREDSQL_COMMANDCACHESIZE       	262144
MEMORY_ALLOCATION_LIMIT          	0
USE_SYSTEM_PAGE_CACHE            	YES
USE_COROUTINES                   	YES
FORBID_LOAD_BALANCING            	YES
MIN_RETENTION_TIME               	60
MAX_RETENTION_TIME               	480
MAX_SINGLE_HASHTABLE_SIZE        	512
MAX_HASHTABLE_MEMORY             	5120
ENABLE_CHECK_INSTANCE            	YES
RTE_TEST_REGIONS                 	0
HASHED_RESULTSET                 	YES
HASHED_RESULTSET_CACHESIZE       	262144
CHECK_HASHED_RESULTSET           	0
AUTO_RECREATE_BAD_INDEXES        	NO
AUTHENTICATION_ALLOW             	
AUTHENTICATION_DENY              	
TRACE_AK                         	NO
TRACE_DEFAULT                    	NO
TRACE_DELETE                     	NO
TRACE_INDEX                      	NO
TRACE_INSERT                     	NO
TRACE_LOCK                       	NO
TRACE_LONG                       	NO
TRACE_OBJECT                     	NO
TRACE_OBJECT_ADD                 	NO
TRACE_OBJECT_ALTER               	NO
TRACE_OBJECT_FREE                	NO
TRACE_OBJECT_GET                 	NO
TRACE_OPTIMIZE                   	NO
TRACE_ORDER                      	NO
TRACE_ORDER_STANDARD             	NO
TRACE_PAGES                      	NO
TRACE_PRIMARY_TREE               	NO
TRACE_SELECT                     	NO
TRACE_TIME                       	NO
TRACE_UPDATE                     	NO
TRACE_STOP_ERRORCODE             	0
TRACE_ALLOCATOR                  	0
TRACE_CATALOG                    	0
TRACE_CLIENTKERNELCOM            	0
TRACE_COMMON                     	0
TRACE_COMMUNICATION              	0
TRACE_CONVERTER                  	0
TRACE_DATACHAIN                  	0
TRACE_DATACACHE                  	0
TRACE_DATAPAM                    	0
TRACE_DATATREE                   	0
TRACE_DATAINDEX                  	0
TRACE_DBPROC                     	0
TRACE_FBM                        	0
TRACE_FILEDIR                    	0
TRACE_FRAMECTRL                  	0
TRACE_IOMAN                      	0
TRACE_IPC                        	0
TRACE_JOIN                       	0
TRACE_KSQL                       	0
TRACE_LOGACTION                  	0
TRACE_LOGHISTORY                 	0
TRACE_LOGPAGE                    	0
TRACE_LOGTRANS                   	0
TRACE_LOGVOLUME                  	0
TRACE_MEMORY                     	0
TRACE_MESSAGES                   	0
TRACE_OBJECTCONTAINER            	0
TRACE_OMS_CONTAINERDIR           	0
TRACE_OMS_CONTEXT                	0
TRACE_OMS_ERROR                  	0
TRACE_OMS_FLUSHCACHE             	0
TRACE_OMS_INTERFACE              	0
TRACE_OMS_KEY                    	0
TRACE_OMS_KEYRANGE               	0
TRACE_OMS_LOCK                   	0
TRACE_OMS_MEMORY                 	0
TRACE_OMS_NEWOBJ                 	0
TRACE_OMS_SESSION                	0
TRACE_OMS_STREAM                 	0
TRACE_OMS_VAROBJECT              	0
TRACE_OMS_VERSION                	0
TRACE_PAGER                      	0
TRACE_RUNTIME                    	0
TRACE_SHAREDSQL                  	0
TRACE_SQLMANAGER                 	0
TRACE_SRVTASKS                   	0
TRACE_SYNCHRONISATION            	0
TRACE_SYSVIEW                    	0
TRACE_TABLE                      	0
TRACE_VOLUME                     	0
CHECK_BACKUP                     	NO
CHECK_DATACACHE                  	NO
CHECK_KB_REGIONS                 	NO
CHECK_LOCK                       	NO
CHECK_LOCK_SUPPLY                	NO
CHECK_REGIONS                    	NO
CHECK_TASK_SPECIFIC_CATALOGCACHE 	NO
CHECK_TRANSLIST                  	NO
CHECK_TREE                       	NO
CHECK_TREE_LOCKS                 	NO
CHECK_COMMON                     	0
CHECK_CONVERTER                  	0
CHECK_DATAPAGELOG                	0
CHECK_DATAINDEX                  	0
CHECK_FBM                        	0
CHECK_IOMAN                      	0
CHECK_LOGHISTORY                 	0
CHECK_LOGPAGE                    	0
CHECK_LOGTRANS                   	0
CHECK_LOGVOLUME                  	0
CHECK_SRVTASKS                   	0
OPTIMIZE_AGGREGATION             	YES
OPTIMIZE_FETCH_REVERSE           	YES
OPTIMIZE_STAR_JOIN               	YES
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_ONEPHASE           	YES
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_OUTER              	YES
OPTIMIZE_MIN_MAX                 	YES
OPTIMIZE_FIRST_ROWS              	YES
OPTIMIZE_OPERATOR_JOIN           	YES
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_HASHTABLE          	YES
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_HASH_MINIMAL_RATIO 	1
OPTIMIZE_OPERATOR_JOIN_COSTFUNC  	YES
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_PARALLEL_MINSIZE   	1000000
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_PARALLEL_SERVERS   	0
OPTIMIZE_JOIN_OPERATOR_SORT      	YES
OPTIMIZE_QUAL_ON_INDEX           	YES
DDLTRIGGER                       	YES
SUBTREE_LOCKS                    	NO
MONITOR_READ                     	2147483647
MONITOR_TIME                     	2147483647
MONITOR_SELECTIVITY              	0
MONITOR_ROWNO                    	0
CALLSTACKLEVEL                   	0
OMS_RUN_IN_UDE_SERVER            	NO
OPTIMIZE_QUERYREWRITE            	OPERATOR
TRACE_QUERYREWRITE               	0
CHECK_QUERYREWRITE               	0
PROTECT_DATACACHE_MEMORY         	NO
LOCAL_REDO_LOG_BUFFER_SIZE       	0
FILEDIR_SPINLOCKPOOL_SIZE        	10
TRANS_HISTORY_SIZE               	0
TRANS_THRESHOLD_VALUE            	60
ENABLE_SYSTEM_TRIGGERS           	YES
DBFILLINGABOVELIMIT              	70L80M85M90H95H96H97H98H99H
DBFILLINGBELOWLIMIT              	70L80L85L90L95L
LOGABOVELIMIT                    	50L75L90M95M96H97H98H99H
AUTOSAVE                         	1
BACKUPRESULT                     	1
CHECKDATA                        	1
EVENT                            	1
ADMIN                            	1
ONLINE                           	1
UPDSTATWANTED                    	1
OUTOFSESSIONS                    	3
ERROR                            	3
SYSTEMERROR                      	3
DATABASEFULL                     	1
LOGFULL                          	1
LOGSEGMENTFULL                   	1
STANDBY                          	1
USESELECTFETCH                   	YES
USEVARIABLEINPUT                 	NO
UPDATESTAT_PARALLEL_SERVERS      	0
UPDATESTAT_SAMPLE_ALGO           	1
SIMULATE_VECTORIO                	IF_OPEN_DIRECT_OR_RAW_DEVICE
COLUMNCOMPRESSION                	YES
TIME_MEASUREMENT                 	NO
CHECK_TABLE_WIDTH                	NO
MAX_MESSAGE_LIST_LENGTH          	100
SYMBOL_RESOLUTION                	YES
PREALLOCATE_IOWORKER             	NO
CACHE_IN_SHARED_MEMORY           	NO
INDEX_LEAF_CACHING               	2
NO_SYNC_TO_DISK_WANTED           	NO
SPINLOCK_LOOP_COUNT              	30000
SPINLOCK_BACKOFF_BASE            	1
SPINLOCK_BACKOFF_FACTOR          	2
SPINLOCK_BACKOFF_MAXIMUM         	64
ROW_LOCKS_PER_TRANSACTION        	50
USEUNICODECOLUMNCOMPRESSION      	NO

about send you the data from tables, i dont have permission to do that, since all data is in a production system, the customer dont give me the rights to send any information. sorry about that.

best regards

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm... a hash join is quite Ok there.

But why the DATA_VENCIMENTO is not taken on the production system is weired.

Please execute this command for each of the tables for once:

UPDATE STAT COLUMN (*) FOR <tablename>

Does the plan change afterwards?

Some general other remarks:

If possible you should change the parameter SIMULATE_VECTORIO to NEVER.

For LOG_QUEUE_COUNT better set 0 - so MaxDB automatically creates the optimal number of LOG Queues.

Depending on the number of waits you get for writing into the log you may want to increase LOG_IO_QUEUE to say 1000.

HASHED_RESULTSET should be better set to NO.

Try to set the following parameters to larger values:

MAX_HASHTABLE_MEMORY = 24000 KB

MAX_SINGLE_HASHTABLE_SIZE = 4000 KB

BTW:

LOG_MIRRORED NO ...

Do you have a RAID 1+0 for your log volume?

If there is no mirroring for the log in place, than you should better activate the MaxDB log mirroring for a bit more backup security.

Concerning your development request:

As already explained I don't see that this would work well for the MaxDB data structure.

For queries like yours a better approach would be to use multiple single indexes and merge primary key lists from these indexes.

Anyhow - the problem with your query is more the data modell:

Since MF is the only connection between all tables all joins that are done after the visit to MF can not make use of the restrictions on the following tables.

Right now I would propose to check on why the access path on the production system does not choose TM as entry table.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

UPDATE STATS dont work, still same plan, i dropped that index, then optimizer get the UNIQUE index for TM, iow, still getting the wrong path, the only way to avoid the use of TM table in the execution plan is to remove that table from SQL query, but if i remove, the TC table still dont enter as entry path, the table choose by optimizer is the MF, its a strange behavior, i cant understand what is the reason and dont know how to debug how optimizer choose this.

the parameters i will change today night, the database in production system is RAID 1 hardware, for log, data and operating system.

about a feature like Joined Index, what is the right place to make a proposal of this?

KR

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clovis

UPDATE STATS dont work, still same plan, i dropped that index, then optimizer get the UNIQUE index for TM, iow, still getting the wrong path, the only way to avoid the use of TM table in the execution plan is to remove that table from SQL query, but if i remove, the TC table still dont enter as entry path, the table choose by optimizer is the MF, its a strange behavior, i cant understand what is the reason and dont know how to debug how optimizer choose this.

Hmm... debugging the optimizer is no option for anybody outside the optimizer development team - really, the trace is not comparable...

Anyhow - we're not done yet ...

I reviewed the query and found that BOL can actually also joined to MF directly - is this correct?

The connection MF : TC must be a 1:1..n connection for this - is this the case?

That given, it might pay off to join BOL directly to MF instead or in addition to the join TC:MF.

Moreover please create the index on MF (OID, MY_SACADO, MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO, SITUACAO) I already proposed.

If the optimizer decides to start with TC it can directly join via this index and apply the restrictions from your where clause.

This should reduce the number of rows to be checked as well. If OID is not in the first place here - the index cannot be used for the join transition.

Also I'd like you to execute a "EXPLAIN JOIN" on the statement and post the output. Perhabs we can see the reason for the optimizer decision then.

> about a feature like Joined Index, what is the right place to make a proposal of this?

You're already in the very right place with that here.

The developers, the development support as well as the global sap support (like me) is reading this forum.

To stress it, you can post a seperate thread for it so that your wish does not get burried in this lengthly optimization thread.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Lars,

The conection MF:TF:BO is just 1:1 (one to one) the connection is by the primary key OID, because in design BO extends TF that extends MF, when Join is by OID column (ObjectID), then exists just one row that match the join.

i created the Index and changed the parameters with your suggestions, less the parameters SIMULATE_VECTORIO(i can change this to never on Linux? the note means something about a bug on linux kernel) and LOG_QUEUE_COUNT (i must stop the database to change).

after i created the index on MF (OID, MY_SACADO, MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO, SITUACAO) and run UPDATE STAT for all tables, and changed the where clause of bol.oid(+) = tc.oid to bol.oid(+) = mf.oid

but the plan remains unchanged.

the explain join result

STRATEGY			OWNER	TABLENAME	MAX ADDNL. ROWS		MULTIPLIER	REVERSE MULTIPLIER	ADDITIONAL PAGES	ADDITIONAL ROWS	ACCUMULATED_COSTS
					TM		1012			1		1			5.24352331606218	1012		9
JOIN VIA MORE THAN ONE FIELD		MF		13632.0001524817	9		1			314.068965517241	9108		489.83516270034
JOIN VIA SINGLE KEY			PS		92925			1		1			337.333333333333	9108		971.739924605102
JOIN VIA SINGLE KEY			TC		54751.9977176785	1		1			535.764705882353	9108		1661.87751184339
JOIN VIA SINGLE KEY			BOL		106656			1		1			535.764705882353	9108		2249.39221772574

i created the index iTituloCobrancaX4 ON TC(OID,DATA_VENCIMENTO) too and the execution plan is:

TM		ITIPOMOVIMENTO		INDEX SCAN				22
						ONLY INDEX ACCESSED	
	MF		IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	JOIN VIA RANGE OF MULTIPLE INDEXED COL.	11513
			MY_SACADO	     	(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
			TIPO	     		(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	PS		OID			OIN VIA KEY COLUMN			1475
	TC		ITITULOCOBRANCAX4	JOIN VIA RANGE OF MULTIPLE INDEXED COL.	6535
						ADDNL. QUALIFICATION ON INDEX	
			OID	     		(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	BOL		OID			JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			607
	JDBC_CURSOR_33		     		RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS	2296

well in any case the query executes in 317860 ms, as you said i'm getting a weird thing here,

about the feature, i think that is a great way to improve performance of joins, another feature that can be made, maybe have a way to one table extends another, then have a way to create an index for that extended table, something like:

CREATE TABLE TituloCobranca EXTENDS MovimentoFinanceiro...

then we can create index like

CREATE INDEX ON TituloCobranca (MY_SACADO, TIPO, DATA_VENCIMENTO)

thanks so much for your attention

KR

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hi, Lars,

>

> The conection MF:TF:BO is just 1:1 (one to one) the connection is by the primary key OID, because in design BO extends TF that extends MF, when Join is by OID column (ObjectID), then exists just one row that match the join.

Hi Clovis,

if the connection between these three tables is really always 1:1:1 (i doubt that from the data you send), then a) you don't need to outer join BO and b) it seems that the data belongs together. That is it should be stored into one table - if that's what you wanted to 'consolidate' - then I've to excuse as you're right then.

Anyhow - the statistics data showed 675349 OID values for MF but only 390457 values for OID on TC (I assume TF was a typo).

That is not a 1:1 relationship, but a 1:0..n (MF:TM).

> i created the Index and changed the parameters with your suggestions, less the parameters SIMULATE_VECTORIO(i can change this to never on Linux? the note means something about a bug on linux kernel)

It references to a bug in the 2.6 Linux Kernel.

See PTS 1132876 [http://maxdb.sap.com/webpts] for details on that.

If you're on a newer Linux Kernel you should set this parameter to NEVER.

> after i created the index on MF (OID, MY_SACADO, MY_TIPO_MOVIMENTO, SITUACAO) and run UPDATE STAT for all tables, and changed the where clause of bol.oid(+) = tc.oid to bol.oid(+) = mf.oid

>

> but the plan remains unchanged.

>

> the explain join result

>

STRATEGY			OWNER	TABLENAME	MAX ADDNL. ROWS		MULTIPLIER	REVERSE MULTIPLIER	ADDITIONAL PAGES	ADDITIONAL ROWS	ACCUMULATED_COSTS
> 					TM		1012			1		1			5.24352331606218	1012		9
> JOIN VIA MORE THAN ONE FIELD		MF		13632.0001524817	9		1			314.068965517241	9108		489.83516270034
> JOIN VIA SINGLE KEY			PS		92925			1		1			337.333333333333	9108		971.739924605102
> JOIN VIA SINGLE KEY			TC		54751.9977176785	1		1			535.764705882353	9108		1661.87751184339
> JOIN VIA SINGLE KEY			BOL		106656			1		1			535.764705882353	9108		2249.39221772574

Hmm... ok - this picture does not fit with the original explain plan you send:

TM		ITIPOMOVIMENTO		INDEX SCAN				22
						ONLY INDEX ACCESSED	
	MF		IMOVIMENTOFINANCEIROX1	JOIN VIA RANGE OF MULTIPLE INDEXED COL.	11513
			MY_SACADO	     	(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
			TIPO	     		(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	PS		OID			OIN VIA KEY COLUMN			1475
	TC		ITITULOCOBRANCAX4	JOIN VIA RANGE OF MULTIPLE INDEXED COL.	6535
						ADDNL. QUALIFICATION ON INDEX	
			OID	     		(USED INDEX COLUMN)	
	BOL		OID			JOIN VIA KEY COLUMN			607
	JDBC_CURSOR_33		     		RESULT IS COPIED   , COSTVALUE IS	2296

Something is quite wrong here and I doubt that we can find it w/o beeing able to actually have a look into the system or get the data for in-house reproduction.

You wrote that the execution plan on your development machine has already changed. Did it change on your Q/A system as well?

Could you refresh your Q/A system with the current state of the production database, so that the dbs contain the same data?

Are there any differences in the table-definitions or the way you access the data from your dev-system to the prod-system?

> about the feature, i think that is a great way to improve performance of joins, another feature that can be made, maybe have a way to one table extends another, then have a way to create an index for that extended table, something like:

> CREATE TABLE TituloCobranca EXTENDS MovimentoFinanceiro...

> then we can create index like

> CREATE INDEX ON TituloCobranca (MY_SACADO, TIPO, DATA_VENCIMENTO)

Well - I've written enough on why I don't see that this feature won't help much.

It's just a patch for bad Object to Relation mapping and not a very good one though.

Perhabs one of the developers feels lucky and decides to implement such a thing, but I would not wait for it...

BTW: Clovis, it looks like you're developing quite intensively with MaxDB.

Perhabs you don't know yet, but there is the http://maxdb.sap.com site as well as the [MaxDB Wiki|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/gjc] with lots of documentation, examples and internals.

Might be worth a look.

Best regards,

Lars

Answers (0)