cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI (Fetching data from) MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am implementing a BI-MDM scenario for the first time. My scenario deals with data stored in MDM is accessed by BI. I need a lot of information on that as I have not tried this scenario before.

Information hunted on SDN yields me results on Open hubs, AbAP APIs, etc.... is this to be used to fetch information from MDM?

Few pain points for me:

1. Brief description on Available ways to access MDM from BI (1 way)

2. I know that MDM can place files on its outbound port. How does BI pick it up? Can we use shared folder (as middleware is not an option here)? Where do we specify this shared folder in BI?

3. Any document/links on the scenario mentioned above

Looking forward to your help and pointers will be rewarded...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devashish,

To integrate MDM and BI you can go with two options :

1 Use XI as a middleware between BI and MDM .

2.Use MDM ABAP API.

Using MDM ABAOP API you can perform MDM Console and MDM Data Manager level operations.

So fetching data can be possible through MDM ABAP API .

you can follow following link for MDM ABAP API and BI .

https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700004121872006E --> Operations

/people/ankurr.goel/blog/2008/01/18/resolve-consolidated-reporting-problem-in-multiple-bi-systems-through-sap-mdm

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/eceebfaf-0801-0010-ce8c-9a1fe263...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Srini/Vinay. Will wait for your inputs...

Are ABAP API/XI the only ways to connect MDM and BI?

Don't they have a predefined MDM Content in BI, which can link the records automatically?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devashish,

As per my knowledge there is no standard business content available for BI MDM integration.You can go either for XI or MDM ABAP API for MDM BI integration.

Reward if helfull.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinay Yadav

Edited by: Vinay Yadav on Apr 29, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys... closing thread..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Requesting other experts to post their views as well...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devashish,

Yes you can use FTP for fetching data from MDM without using XI. Here you need to write ABAP program in BI.

In this case you need to do the following steps:

1) Create a FTP folder.

2) Create a outbond port in Console.

3) Syndicate your data records from MDM syndicator in CSV format on the ready folder of your Outbound port.BI can't accept data in XML format and can accept in CSV format.

4) You need to write a ABAP program in BI to pick data from ready folder. As soon as the data is syndicated to the ready folder you need to run this program in BI to pick the data from the ready folder.

Go through this site if you want to use XI for fetching data from MDM:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/42/ca331193911368e10000000a1553f7/content.htm]

I hope I am able to solve your problem:

Regards

Dilmit Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devashish,

As far as I know, BI-MDM inetgration is possible in 2 ways only :

1. Through File Transfer - This is done by using a FTP path, where BI places the file. When you create a Remote system for BI and an INbound and OUtbound Port, you will find corresponding Inbound and Outbound Ready Folders.

BI places the File into the Inbound Ready Folder and MDM picks up from there.

MDM then does all the necessary actions and then syndicates the Records in .CSV format in the OUtbound Ready FOlder, from where the BI system picks up the File.

MDM and BI both understand .CSV format and hence it is easy yo integrate both the systems.

Moreover, you can easily make the entire process as Automatic.

2. Through ABAP API's- API help in integarting the BI and MDM system. Through ABAP API's, BI accesses all the functionalities and the Data of MDM and hence from within BI, you can perform all the activities in MDM.

These are the ways you can integrate BI with MDM.

Also follow this link :

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/home/connectivity%2b-%2bbi-mdm%2bintegration]

Hope it helps.

*Please reward points if useful

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have not worked on this scenario: Global spend analysis.

i will try to find how exactly we will map this and i will let you know once it is done.

Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Srini for the link...

Well.. I have a moved a step ahead and identified myself as scenario 3 as per the link...

But am still waondering how will MDM and BI Interact.... Do we need to use shared folder? or we can map the MDM (Global) id to the infosource... need some specific illutrative technical details to understand the underlying arch....

Thanks...