cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal connection to R/3 Backend

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good evening guys and girls, this is officially my first post. And i have (well to me) a tricky 1 to ask. My guys want to connect a Portal System to an R/3 Backend. We have 2 backend servers we want to connect to, but getting either 1 to do it is fine. The problem we encounter is in 2 places.

1. In the Portal (System Configuration) Page we do the necessary configs to the system, when doing the test connection it gives an error that the connection properties arent correct.

2. Using a sample iView that we are trying to test with, the login page comes up to try and access our backend system (Connecting to a BI Client) it gives us a RABAX_STATE error.

Can someone help out by pointing me to a simple guide that steps 1 through connecting this sort of thing? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darren,

Check the following Connection Properties.

1. under Connector property

a) Application Host (should be fully qualified hostname) - Give the R/3 "Application Name",

which can be obtained from the SAP Logon Pad (check what R/3 system you are using, right click on it , go to the properties,

it will open a window which has the Application Server Name.

b) Logical System Name - Give the logical name as defined in the backend system

c) SAP Client - Check the Client in the backend system and give the appropriate number (3 digits)

d) SAP System ID(SID)* - Check the R/3 properties and give the check for System ID

e) System Type* - Since we are connecting to R/3, select SAP_R3 system.

f) System Number - This is a two digit number that you can find in the SAP Logon Pad

2. Select "Internet transaction Server (ITS)" property, now fill the required fields like

a) ITS Description à Give some Description

b) ITS Host Name - Same as "Application Host" of R/3 (when integrated ITS) and should be attached with the

port number of ITS Server (to get port number detailed description is given below). ex: hostname : port number

c) ITS Path - To get the path along with the port number you have to Log on to R/3 system. Use the

Transaction Code "SICF", it opens a new window go to:

default_host -> sap -> bc -> gui -> sap -> its -> webgui -> SAP GUI for HTML -> right click on

that and click "Test Service'. This will open a new window, on the address bar you will find the "port number", and

the path something like (/sap/bc/gui/sap/its/webgui). Use the path after the port number.

d) ITS Protocol - There are two protocols "http" & "https", select the appropriate protocol which is

visible when you opened "Test Service" window.

3. Select "Web Application Server" property , now fill the required fields like

a) Web AS Description -> Give some Description

b) Web AS Host Name - same as ITS Host Name

c) Web AS Path - usually /sap/bc/bsp/sapd)*

• Web AS Protocol - should be same as the ITS Protocol.

4. Select "User Management" property, now fill the required fields like

a) Authentication Ticket Type - Since we are not using SSO leave the field

empty i.e. put in select mode. (Please note that longer term you will probably want to use SSO)

b) Logon Method - Select UIDPW.

c) User Mapping Type - In case you have administration rights then you choose "admin" or in case you

just have user rights then choose "user", better go for "admin/user".

if still need i will send u a doc

best regards

ep

Edited by: Anja Engelhardt on Dec 23, 2010 1:41 PM

former_member158191
Discoverer
0 Kudos

hi

We have ESS & MSS Portal , which connects to backend ECC 6.0 with only one web application server . The backend ECC 6.0 is having 3 servers ( 2 web application server + one DB server ),

My question is now , how do i connect all 3 servers to Portal ? Is it possible to connect 2 web application server from portal ?

In the Connector property

for web appliaction server , it allows only one server to enter , and can be used.

This indicates , the portal request goes only to one particular backend server , hence there is no load balancing at backend .

How do we avoid this ?

Edited by: Halid Mohadi on Nov 1, 2010 5:00 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

While configuration of back end system parameters in Portal, you will be giving properties like: Group,Logicalsystem name, message server, server port, SID, client and system type etc.. Even for application server the connection properties would be same. So I think Group (PUBLIC) will use application server utility.

Thanks

former_member71614
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need a web dispatcher in your scenario.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwes70/helpdata/EN/28/75153a1a5b4c2de10000000a114084/frameset.htm

You can only use the SAP message server for HTTP load distribution if the browser is the direct client of the message server. If another component lies between the client (browser) and the message server, (for example, the portal), you cannot use the message server to distribute the load.

Former Member
0 Kudos

See the links below .

If it is useful , close the thread.

Koti Reddy