cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I correlate an Java instance number with a server id?

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I have 6 Web App Server running ABAP and the JAVA stacks. I can log into the Central Instance server and run /usr/sap/<SID>DVEBMSG00/j2ee/configtool/configtool.sh and bring up the GUI interface to "see" all the instances and their variables. I don't see an easy way to trace back the Java INSTANCE to the physical server's hostname.

Is there a central repository to correlate a Web App Server Java instance number to the actual hostid/hostname of the target server? I realize I can log into each Web App Server and look at the /usr/sap/<SID>D00/j2ee/cluster/instance.properties and find the Instance number, but I was wondering if this information was held in the SAP Central instance or SAP Database somewhere.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

The instance ID used for the JAVA cluster is generated at installation time, and -amongst other things- takes into account the time it was generated. We installed two instances in parallel (on different hosts) and ended up with almost the same instance ID.

Because this can be very confusing, we asked SAP if this was changable - in theory it is only an ID which could be changed as long as it is updated on all places the identifier is stored - but SAP indicated that that is not possible, nor supported. We ended up with a diagram of the system architecture with all the identifiers on our desk.

Note that in the config tool - all instances are displayed with their system instance number. If you were to install a new system it might be usefull to install all instances with different instance numbers so you and distinguish more easily between them.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Walter

ekaterinamitova
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

have you tried using the SAP MMC? I think there you can find such information.

For more information about SAP MMC: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/63/0f5bc7bc3611d2890d0000e8200722/frameset.htm

Best regards,

Ekaterina