cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTS: What does "Overwrite Originals" really mean?

Former Member

Hello,

I have looked many places but have yet to find more details about what "Overwrite Originals" really means in the transport system.

We have a situation where we would like to completely replace a table and it's records in QA from a repair done in Dev. The keys do not match between these systems so we cannot transport just the row changes.

If I understood what "Overwrite Originals" meant in more detail, perhaps it would solve the problem.

Thank you,

John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John

I would present a simple to understand scenario :

You might have encountered an error while importing a particular abap change request that states, XXXXXX original object cannot be replaced, in the import log.

Actually SAP under the standard transport i.e unconditional mode 0 does not allow to repair original objects (Object which were originally created in the target system either at the time of installation or by an Abaper). In these conditions we have to use unconditional mode "Overwrite Originals".

Hope this helps.

If yes please award points.

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick reply.

The root of the matter is: Will "overwrite originals" completely overwrite all contents in a table even if the row keys in the table between the source and destination system do not match?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Overwrite originals would not threat any table entry, as overwrite originals is intended at object level, rather than table level.

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Logic suggests that if I overwrite the table object, I am going to blow away all of the content within the object also. T of F?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

True, but in this case you need to transport whole table. If you want to overwrite it.

So unconditional mode has to be selected carefully.

Regards

Rahul.