cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Implosion- Opposite Scenario to BOM Explosion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sap gurus,

i am working on a scenario which is quite new and i need help from the experts in this forum

The Scenario:

BOM Header: A1

Bom coponents: A,B,C

When we enter A1 in sales order, SAP standard functionality will explode this A1 into A.B,C.

Our requirement is while placing order customer will not specify the material as A1, instead he orders by A,B,C and expects us to replace those materials with the BOM header and do the explosion. The reason why cusotmers order by components is because in their system they track the inventory by components not by header material. so they always place the order by bom components.

So when ever the cusotmer orders by A,B,C we need to have a functionality which checks the bom masterdata and rejects these components and inserts the Header material A1 into sales orders.

Can anyone help me out with some inputs, if anyone worked on similar requirement

or is there any SAP Note available for this requirement?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no way the system can understand A, B, C to convert into A1. One thing can happen is if the customer is regularly going to order as A, B, C which is A1 in your SAP system, you have to at the time order entry ensure you enter it as A1. Since you really did not want all the bill of materials to be seen in order, which is what should happen per your expectation of implosion maintain the item cat group of A1 as NORM instead of ERLA / LUMF but still create A1 as BOM containing A,b,C. So the components are delivered, but not seen at order level.

regards

sadhu kishore

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sadhu Kishore's got it right. The only other way to accomplish this is a "Major" SD-User exit, and you will run into so many issues, you do NOT want to go there.

Material determination is not going to work.

The best managable thing I could think of would be to maintain a Z-table of the "implosion" BOM combinations, and an associated Z-Program to find the appropriate imploded BOM that matches, before creating a Sales Document.

I would also search OSS to see if SAP has provided any Consulting Notes on this "implosion" requirement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill and Sadhu kishore thank you so much guys.

Since our requirement is to insert the bom header in place of bom components. To do this we need to consider some requirements i.e cusotmer should order all the components of a bom and the quantities are evenly convertable and the order should be with in a cusotmer specific validity period.

The solution which i am going to propose is

1. create a cusotm table to host the bom header details with validity periods and sold to pary number and sales area

2.while creating sales order, we just check this ztable and if a valid recrod found for this sold to in this ztable, reect all the line items with a special rejection reason.(AT this time we dont really consider whether sales order components match with any sao bom. We just check whether cusotmer is authorised to order by components)

3 cusotmized program to collect all the sales orders with the specific rejection reason and do the bom implosion by comparing sales order components and bom masterdata.

4. if components match to any sap bom, insert the bom header into sales order. If not, remove the rejection reason for the line items.

Can you guys suggest me whether i am going with a good solution?

If SAP have any NOtes regarding this could you please let me know the Notes Number?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

There is a functionality called Material Determination. You can try this functionality.

Here, you can configure the SAP system to substitute the entry of any of the sub-items by the main item, so that whenever you enter a sub-item in the sales order, system automatically substitutes it with the main item of the BoM.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/90/758534c960a134e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

Regards

Nikhilesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikilesh, Thanks for the reply and inputs u have given.

But for my scenario Material determination will not work, becuase i am not goint to reply one material with another.

We have somany components for a single bom. When ever cusotmer orders by components we need to reject all the components and insert the bom header.

the suggestion gave by you will work when the bom header have only one component.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me explain to you why I think it will work.

If I understand you right, then you want the following:

BOM:

Type Material Qty

Main Item X 1

Component 1 A 1

Component 2 B 2

Component 3 C 4

Now customer orders as below:

Material Qty

A 10

B 20

C 40

So do you expect that your end-user do as below?

SNo. Material Qty

1 A 10 => System overwrites A with header item X & explodes the BoM so that the entire requirement is captured.

2 B 20 => No need to enter manually since the entire requirement has been captured in step 1 itself!

3 C 40 => No need to enter manually since the entire requirement has been captured in step 1 itself!

If this is so, then is how material determination works. The only difference from your requirement is that the rejection (in steps 2 & 3) has to be done manually and not by the system. You can also set the main item to explode again so that your user sees that the items in the PO are already covered in the BoM.

If you wish that the rejection of the rest of the components should also be done by the system, then you would need to configure a user-exit with the logic to check duplicate values of MATNR.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP,

For seeing the component availability or tracking - there is a standard report from PP module. SO i dont think there is any need for you to change the BOM explosion setting in the Sales order.

Reward point if useful

Regards,

Reshmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhaskar, Thanks for your reply.

I am not going to change any settings for bom explosion.

I just want if the sales order contains bom components, based on the components i need to identify to which bom these components belong and if match with any bom i need to insert that bom header into sales order and reject the original components

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Srini, thus the bom components should be checked availability while the bom header should be showed in invoice, right? If yes, my suggestions are as follows:

1. Components to be explosed together with A1 in order.

2. Components to be showed in delivery instead of A1.

3. A1 to be showed in invoice instead of components.

Btw, got one question. You mentioned A1would turn into A,B,C. So, if you re-enter A1 after checking the components' availability. Suppose A1 will turn into A,B,C again, right? A1 cannot be showed in order.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cathy, thank you so much for ur reply.

I dont need to consider the availability of the components.

Our scenario is as follows

Bom MasterData:

Header Material : A1 Quantity 1

Components : Material A 10

Material B 10

Material c 5

The cusotmers order by the components like

Material A 200

Material B 200

Material C 100

For the above sales order we need to reject the components and insert Header Material A1 quantity 20

The Bom header will explode afterwards into components.

The reason to reject cusomter's original ordered components is, pricing and discount benifits will be given for the header.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Srini,

Try material determination. It should work. The advantage is that if you simply enter material A in the sales order with qty 100, it will automatically substitute it by A1. I'm not exactly sure about how the BoM of A1 will be exploded, but it should not be very difficult.

Do let me have your feedback.

Regards

Nikhilesh