cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queries on Business Process Monitoring (BPM) & Interface Monitoring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have got a few queries on the subject and would greatly appreciate any valuable inputs.

Before I proceed, want to clarify that I have downloaded all overtly available documents (PDFs, SIMs) from the following URLs:

http://service.sap.com/rkt-solman

http://service.sap.com/solutionmanager Media Library

http://service.sap.com/bpm Media Library

I may not have read them all though since I come from a Functional angle.

Kindly reply to whatever query you can please. Not all of them are sequential.

Queries:

(1) How are Interfaces with External Systems (beyond the firewall of the enterprise) monitored ?

(2) Is it really worth listing all such External Systems as Logical Components in their own right ? I guess this makes sense if at a Process Step level, one wants to list a 'specific' Logical Component involved instead of 'generic' term like External System. However, it would benefit only if Interface Monitoring is feasible; isn't it ?

(3) There are Interfaces which are built between SAP and External System and serve various Business Processes under various Business Scenarios. In such circumstances, it is not easy to list which Process 'owns' the Interface. Therefore, under a normal Implementation Project structure (SOLAR02), choosing a particular Process Step, getting into 'Development' Tab and listing the Interface Program name may not be feasible, since there is no particular place where it belongs.

Is it therefore a good idea to create namesake Scenario for capturing all interfaces and list a library of all interfaces and store documents right there ? If so, will these namesake processes be of any use in BPM at a later date ?

(4) If my primary objective is to accomplish Interface Monitoring and not Business Process Monitoring per se, is it a good idea to create a new Solution Landscape, and manually create Business Processes that are suited to list Interfaces than to assign Template or Implementation Project to the Solution Landscape, and inherit those Processes ?

(5) What is it that a SAP Competence (Support) Centre will find as a 'major' gain in activating BPM to monitor Interfaces alone - is there something that SolMan's BPM based Interface Monitoring gives more than what PI level reporting may provide them with ?

(6) In Interfaces with Non-SAP Systems (some of them are old/ proprietary legacy systems with Credit Card companies; some of them are like 'Active Directory' servers), is it possible to define Metrics for BPM that such systems will contribute to SolMan, for reporting purposes ? Or, is it too much to hope for

Thanks again, for your patience and advance thanks for your kind responses.

Srini

Bes

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Welcome to BPM

You have asked too many questions in a single Post, Please read rules of engagement before posting

You can monitor the following without any trouble.

● ALE/EDI

● qRFC

1) Its obvious, if your firewall blocks all your request to external enterprise, it is not possible to monitor.

3) These interfaces are not the one related to development tab in SOLAR02, you have to map them from BPM.

4) Yes, you don't have to depend on any project for your processes, you can add it in your Solution Landscape.

5) Post a Separate Thread!!!

6) Post a Separate Thread!!!

Hope this gives a better idea.

Feel free to revert back.

--Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ragu,

Thanks for your reply.

>>Please read rules of engagement before posting<<

In as much as one hates to be reminded of something as basic as that I agree that one must comply, and take your chiding in right spirit. Thanks.

Often, when posting a chain of 'inter-related' thoughts, to gather them all in one place, it's better to go with one thread, IMHO.

>>3) These interfaces are not the one related to development tab in SOLAR02, you have to map them from BPM<<

Could you please elaborate on what would you have foreseen (among Interfaces) to occur within SOLAR02, Development Tab ?

Thanks and regards,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I found another piece of information relating to my query in SAP Online Help.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/en/45/51fbdbd4941803e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm

Please let me have your expert views.

Regards,

Srini