cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startsap fails with sql error -4008 performing CON

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Well, due to a small security issue we had on our Solution Manager 4.0 server, we decided to change our MaxDB passwords for the following users:

CONTROL

SUPERDBA

SAPSMD

SAPSMDDB (J2EE user)

We updated the passwords using the DBMGui.

We have updated XUSER with the new password details and have tested using the following commands that each user can access the database ok.

dbmcli -d SMD -U DEFAULT (and dbmcli -d SMD -u control,<pass>)

dbmcli -d SMD -U w (and dbmcli -d SMD -u superdba,<pass>)

dbmcli -d SMD -U c (and dbmcli -d SMD -u control,<pass)

sqlcli -d SMD -u sapsmd,<pass>

sqlcli -d SMD -u sapsmddb,<pass>

They all connect and work correctly. I also verified that R3trans works also (RC 0).

I have updated the J2EE engine using the "configtool" and have verified this is also working correctly.

Now my problem ... when I start SAP via the SAP Management Console (MMC), the startup fails, and the following error message is found in all the work process' (wp) dev trace files:

C Fri Apr 25 01:38:19 2008

C *** ERROR => Connect to database failed, rc = -4008 (POS(1) Unknown user name/password combination)

[dbsdbsql.cpp 136]

B ***LOG BY2=> sql error -4008 performing CON [dbsh#2 @ 1204] [dbsh 1204 ]

B ***LOG BY0=> POS(1) Unknown user name/password combination [dbsh#2 @ 1204] [dbsh 1204 ]

B ***LOG BY2=> sql error -4008 performing CON [dblink#3 @ 431] [dblink 0431 ]

B ***LOG BY0=> POS(1) Unknown user name/password combination [dblink#3 @ 431] [dblink 0431 ]

M ***LOG R19=> ThInit, db_connect ( DB-Connect 000256) [thxxhead.c 1426]

M in_ThErrHandle: 1

M *** ERROR => ThInit: db_connect (step 1, th_errno 13, action 3, level 1) [thxxhead.c 10240]

What have I missed? Is there something else I need to change?

Please help!

Cheers

Shaun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shaun,

from what you've written I conclude that the system is running on Windows.

In that case the Workprocesses run as the SAPSERVICE<SID> user - not as the <SID>adm that you use to administer the database.

The XUSER data in turn are stored per machine for each single user.

Therefore I assume that you've just changed them for the <sid>adm user but not yet for the SAPSERVICE<sid>.

(also see my blog on this [Mind the gap...|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/7595] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Anyhow, it's easy to do it:

xuser -c SAPService<sid> -U c -u control,<pw> ...

With the -c argument you can specify for which OS-User the xuser data should be set.

If your SAPService<SID> is a DOMAIN-User you've to specify it like this:

xuser -c <DOMAIN>SAPService<sid> -U c -u control,<pw> ...

Best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars. 100% correct, I had not updated the xuser config for the SAPServiceSID account.

BTW, loving your Mind the Gap series!

Would love to see you cover hot-standby, and also clustering solutions.

Would also love to see a good "review" of the new Database Studio vs DBMGui 7.6. I personally have had problems finding a lot of the features from the DBMGui in Database Studio, thus I use both tools depending on what I'm doing.

Melanie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Shaun,

if you let us know which functions you ar missing in Database Studio, we can help you to find them.

However, some functions might not yet be implemented in Database Studio.

Best regards,

Melanie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for your offer to help. Given this is off topic from my original post, I will create a new one.

Cheers

Shaun

Answers (0)