Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

some questions on SAP DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

some questions on SAP DMS:-

- can versions of same document be shown graphically. ?

- can links be created for documents. can we make sure that links are not broken when document is moved ?(links to document on 1st location shall not be broken)

- is there a notification mechanism(user can recieve e-mail when document gets changed)

- is there a review mechanism, before doc. is archived.(sort life cycle)

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shovon,

1. can versions of same document be shown graphically?

You can display all existing versions of a document info record by using the menu 'Extras' >> 'Versions'. Then you will see all existing document version for this specific document number. Further you will see which is the current version at the moment.

2. can links be created for documents. can we make sure that links are not broken when document is moved ?(links to document on 1st location shall not be broken)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by links to documents. If you mean linking document info records together, I can confirm that this works also in DMS. You can maintain the object DRAW for object links in the customizing and then you will be able to link one document info record to another. The data for all document info records is stored in table DRAW.

If you are talking about originals which are linked to document info records, please note that if you check in an original the system creates a unique LOIO- and PHIO-ID which is stored in the Content Server and in the database tables DMS_DOC2LOIO and DMS_PHIO2FILE. But there are also different reports to migrate original data from one content Server to another (e.g. DMS_RELOCATE_CONTENT).

3. Is there a notification mechanism(user can recieve e-mail when document gets changed)

Yes you can activate an event type linkage for object

DRAW CHANGED DOKST

DRAW CHANGED DWNAM

in transaction SWE2. Here you just have to set the flag for 'Type linkage' (linkage activated). Then everytime the document is changed a notification is sent to the entered USER of this document info records.

4. Is there a review mechanism, before doc. is archived.(sort life cycle)

Normally there is no special lifecycle. You can control this by maintaining a released status and if there are more versions always version with the release status is the current one. But there is no specific date when the document info record expires or something like that.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for useful information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the assistance Christoph.

on # 2 , I meant , html links, like some other versioning tools. (cvs, gforge etc.)

can links be made then and not broken afterwards ?

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shovon,

if you try to link HTML files to document info records I would kindly ask you to see the following WIKI page https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/plm/ca-dms-LinkingURLpagestoDocuments, which explains in details the necessary customizing steps for this behavior. However please note that HTML orignals have not to be stored anyway because they are already

stored on an internet server and therefore these kind of originals don't need to be checked in.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for useful information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi chris,

i am new to this DMS i am a MBA finance graduate is it useful to my career...what is this exactly.......currently i am working as a FICO consultant in an MNC.

regards

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Salsa,

as you are interested in DMS it's a pleasure for me to give you a short overview about its functions. So mainly the SAP Document Management System (DMS) allows you to handle and manage documents, drawings or other files in your SAP System.

So first of all the necessary and important transaction are CV01N (create), CV02N (edit), CV03N (display) and CV04N (search). Within CV01N you create a so called document info record which means to be the frame for your original data mainly. For this frame you can enter a description, add SAP objects (e.g. materials, customers, etc.) or classify the info record. Of course you can also add your original data (e.g. drawings, invoices, contracts, etc.) to it.

In transaction CV04N, you are able to search for your document an a broad selection range. This means you can search just by document data like number or type but you can also search with linked objects or classification or short and longtexts. If you enable the fulltext search for DMS (using TREX) you can also search for text which is in the original files itself.

But there are also some additional functionalities like Document Distribution or Document Conversion. However you will find a description of this functionalities and more details in the SAP Online Documentation under http://help.sap.com for your current release. All DMS information could be retrieved here under 'SAP ERP Central Component' >> 'Cross-Application Components' >> 'Document Management'.

So I hope this short description is usefull for you.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for all usefull information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Christoph Hopf,

Can we do indexing for Documents which are located in SAP DMS???

With SAP DMS search iview can I search Documents from SAP DMS to SAP EP 7.0?

If the above can done ,so pls send me the step by step procedure.

Regards

Subash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Hopf,

i just read that information to crate an "external" link in DMS.

Just tried that to customize, but seams in need some assist from you.

I did the customizing steps, but iam not sure how i can create the links in DMS.

( which data type to you use therefore ?)

Thanks

Michael Lipp

michael.lipp@magna.com

Answers (0)