cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Buffer - High Number of Swaps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We experiencing high number of program buffer swaps per day, they usually get into 500,000 - 700,000 range. Our abap/buffersize is 500,000 KB. It seems like the general suggestion of the buffersize is that it should be somewhere between 300-700 MB, which I thought 500 would be enough, at least enough no to have such huge numbers of swaps per day. The PHYS_MEMSIZE = 9057, as we have 16 GB of total server memory and 9 is dedicated to SAP, while the other 7 is to SQL Server. I have followed the note about zero admin memory management so other than PHYS_MEMSIZE parameter I don't think I have any memory restricting parameters in there.

In ST06 I always seem to have about 3 GB or physical memory free. We have release 640.

ST02 shows high number of objects swapped, and frames swapped always seem to be at 0. Looking at the buffer history, it seems like we always have only about 1500KB free space out of 500000KB, and the directories free are always around 114000. This makes me think that I should increase the buffer size, however maybe someone can suggest another reason why I have this scenario.

Thank you in advance,

Sergiy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, increase your Abap buffer size. 500 MB is much too small.

On our old R/3 4.7 systems we need to allocate 1 GB for the Abap buffer.

We put also 1 GB as a minimum for new Netweaver 7.0 systems...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your post. I will try to bump up the program buffer to 1GB tonight and see what kind of results I get tomorrow.

Sergiy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Increasing the buffer did work as expected. ABAP buffer has no swaps today at all. Thanks!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Execute at the OS level :

sappfpar check pf=<instance profile name>

If it reports any change in parameters, modify accordingly and check how the performance is.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sappfpar check pf=<instance profile name> seems to check for errors and warnings in the profile and its parameters, as well as give minimum requirements for swap space. Not sure how it could help me in this case?