cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

many files in /tmp directory owned by the user of the Portal installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I found many files in the /tmp directory which are owned by the <sid>adm of my portal installation (NW 7.0). The files look like this:

-rw-rr 1 <sid>adm sapsys 0 2008-03-13 02:28 ZZZKG6

-rw-rr 1 <sid>adm sapsys 0 2008-03-24 15:38 Zzzpnq

-rw-rr 1 <sid>adm sapsys 0 2008-04-21 14:47 ZZzVAN

They are empty and they are created nearly every minute. The OS is LINUX.

Does anybody know such files and can anybody explain these files?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Ines

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

got no reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another thing to try is to run the 'file' command on these to get an idea of the contents. Some web applications will use the tmp dir to temporarily store state information or uploads (you can also use the 'head' command to view the first 20 or so lines).

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't get any information using the commands "file" and "head".

The files are empty.

Best Regards

Ines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ines Haller,

All these files created during the installation for different purposes like some of them are the scripts extracted files and some of them were used as log files. most of them details you can get during the installation bye expending the log option during the installation.

But what i can sure you that after installation you can remove all the tmp contains from text mode only.

because if you run GUI than some more files will be in use to run the GUI and to provide the room for that.

I hope this will give you somewhere little bit related to the topic.

Thanks and Regards,

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thank you for your reply but these files are not only from the installation. They are created every 5 minutes.

And I don't have this problem on the servers where the production system is installed.

Therefore I think that it is maybe an OS issue.

Best Regards

Ines

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ines,

I don't have an explanation, but a way to check which application is causing this behavior. Using the root user, you could use the 'lsof' tool to check which process is responsible for these files. The command would look like:

lsof | grep tmp | grep ZZ

You then can identify the PID and then check which application is responsible for writing them. Having found the application (e.g. jlaunch), you may have to check the log files of this application if there is any information of these files.

Thanks,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

the comand doesn't show an output.

I don't get a PID or anything else.

Best Regards

Ines