cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing a legacy interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to replace a legacy outbound interface from SAP. Current scenario is :

ABAP program extracting data (lets say its customer master data), writing to a file which is then FTP'd.

Implementing this via XI I believe options are :

Option 1. Don't use XI. Continue with current process. Benefits of this - cost. Drawbacks - Political, as this would go against the new integration strategy which is to use an integration hub solution.

Option 2. Use exactly the same process to produce the file. FTP the file to XI and get XI to despatch it.

Benefits - Limited cost implications, Satisfies political initiatives. Drawbacks - Are we complicating things just for the sake of using XI.

Option 3. Replace the writing of the file with a IDOC/BAPI/Proxy call to XI which is converted to file and dispatched. Benefits - utilising XI as it should be used. Drawbacks - Unnecessary cost and risk. Why replace a perfectly functioning process?

Any thoughts, greatfully received.

Thanks

Nigel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion:

Best ways is to create an ABAP proxy re-using your old ABAP source code, sending it to xi creating a file receiver.

Advantage:

1. using your already made program.

2.Moving into a central Interface monitoring solution with XI (HUB).

3.Leverage the Software logistics of XI as the main object repository for your organization interfaces.

4.>Why replace a perfectly functioning process?>

fast adaptation to organization changes of Interfaces.

Best Regards

Nimrod

Rewarding points...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick response Nimrod.

Anyone else agree / disagree.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nigel,

In most of the SAP customer sites, XI is/will be used as a primary integration tool. Since there are so many interfaces already in place, the following things need to be considered.

1. Keep the existing interfaces in SAP with no change

2. If you are replacing an integration tool with XI (ex: webmethods, crossworlds etc.), then redesign the interfaces (This is a definite change in the interface).

3. Value-Addition. If you change the current interface is there any value added. If there is no value added, then I would not recommend to use XI for those interfaces. In R/3 environment every customer has so many file interfaces which will increase the project cost for no reason.

Even though it is political about the XI usage, I would strongly recommend not to change the interfaces which are not needed.

regards

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shravan,

Thanks for your thoughts. I totally agree with your thinking, however as usual a logical decision can ofter be overpowered by political objectives.

Nigel

Answers (0)