cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kpro, vaults & content server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

what is a 'knowledge provider' in simple terms. ?

contrary to a DMS secure storage area (which is always) a SAP database.

so would anyone tell me what is a kpro with an example please.

also what's a 'vault' {other than the obvious} and a 'content server' ? with an example please.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shovon,

as far as I know a Knowledge Provider is a Content Server and on one content server you can maintain different storage categories. Into the storage categories the originals are checked in by using DMS.

So the Content Server is the like a drive (C:\) on your PC and the storage category is a folder (temp).

In former times the storage in DMS was possible by using SAP-SYSTEM, archive or vault. So the vault is a former stroage type and in most cases it was realised by maintaining an application server as vault.

For more information on how to set up a vault, please see SAP note 183119.

However now I would recommend you to use the Content Server (KPRO) storage function because this allows you to add an unlimited number of originals to a documetn info record. With vault functionality you can only add two originals per document info record.

So I hope my explanation is useful for you.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please reward points for useful information

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

for vault and sap db

refer this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/c1/1c31a243c711d1893e0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm

award point if useful

regards,

nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The SAP Content Server is a separate and server based component to store content such as electronic documents originating from different formats. The SAP Content Server ist provided by development of technology and is to be used cross application for any SAP applications. He is to be installed on a separate system. Typical content is training material and documentation from Knowledge Warehouse or technical drawings originating from mySAP PLM Document Management System.

Kpro n wledge Provider (KPro) is a generic document management infractructure,KPro is the standard document management infrastructure of the SAP Web Application Server, formerly known as the Basis system. KPro offers a wide range of document management functions, such as check-in, check-out, logical hyperlinks, and versioning. The fundamental concepts of KPro are protected by US Patent 6,134,552.

Knowledge Provider (KPro) is the standard document management infrastructure of SAP Web Application Server (formerly known as the Basis system). As such, it is a service which is part of every SAP Web Application Server system.

KPro is a (mostly) invisible service layer that can manage any kind of document. It can be deployed by any SAP application in order to manage and maintain documents and document content in a sophisticated manner.

KPro uses the component SAP Content Server to store document content. In other words, SAP Content Server stores the documents that KPro manages and maintains. SAP Content Server runs on a separate computer that hosts an Internet Information Server (IIS), SAP extensions, and a database (with SAP's DBMS SAP DB). The database is installed as part of SAP Content Server.

pls refer this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/c1/1c31a243c711d1893e0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm

award point if useful

regards,

nitin