Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing Search Help to look for data outside R/3 - can it be done ? Thx

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear ABAP developers,

This is our required scenario and I hope you can confirm that it is possible.

We have a R/3 4.6 C system. We are building a new MDM and Portal application for Materials.

Normally users would use the search help on Material master and look for Materials available in R/3 using match code generated search helps.

Now we would like to let them search for Materials in Portal ( MDM data) if they want to.

can we define a new search help which would let them go out of R/3 and into portal to look for Materials if they want ?

The concept is to create a Function module in R/3 which would invoke a Function module in NW ABAP stack which would run the portal application.

Is it possible to customize/modify the code generated in the search help in R/3 to execute the Function Module ? I read somewhere about search help exits . Is theis the right place to put that code ?

If there are other better ways to do this, please let me know.

Thanks for your assistance.

Siva K.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva Krishnamurthy ,

Hate to say this. From my understanding you can't achieve this functionality.

Thanks,

Greetson

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva Krishnamurthy ,

Hate to say this. From my understanding you can't achieve this functionality.

Thanks,

Greetson

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can verywell do it using the seach help exit. In the search help exit call the RFC function module to get the data from other systems and build the internal table and pass it to search help. it displays the data which is coming from other systems.

Thanks,

Srinivas

former_member156446
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check my blog @ https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/du0 to develop a custom search help exit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Greetson, Srinivas and JackandJay,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I feel hopeful that we can accomplish this requirement.

This has been my posting to the ABAP forum and I am impressed by the fast response I got.

I have assigned the points to all of you. It was a pleasure to use this ABAP forum.

Thanks.

Siva K.