cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web services Scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working on a scenario where we are supposed to extract data from a legacy system using a web service, and then send it using XI as a file to some file server.

So in that case what steps should be taken to configure the scenario?

In this case the legacy system should be the service provider?

Please let me know the steps and also in what kind of a scenario would we configure a web service on XI, as per my knowledge a web service is used to extraxt data from a system and I am unable to think of a situation where we would have to use it on XI.

Any examples would be helpful.

Regards,

Sampada

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member187563
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi sampada,

This is a normal soap to file scenario.

And you said you are building your own webservice.You have to use soap adapter to call the webservice.If you keep soap adapter in asynchronous mode and at receiver keep one file adapter and in this case no bpm is required.

If you are keeping it in synch mode then you have to use synch asynch bridge in bpm.

So it depends on your scenario.

regards,

ujjwal kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Based on what you described, you have following scenario:

legacy system -> SOAP Sender -> XI -> File Receiver -> Receiving system (directory)

Define interface on sender side, then you will need to define WS by generating your WSDL in your integration Builder.

The rest step is pretty standard...

Liang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampada,

I have two questions:

1. Your legacy system is a database ? or not ?

2. Does your Legacy already have a Web Service to extract the data to be populated ?

Mickael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mickael,

Yes the legacy system is an SQL database and it does not have a web service at present to extract data.

We are considering creating a web service.

Regards,

Sampada Atri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampada,

XI can automatically poll sender JDBC and File adapters but not sender SOAP( Web Services). Some client should initiate the call to XI. Since you have legacy system as database, use JDBC sender adapter and File Receiver adapter for your scanario.

If you want to use Web Services to extract the data from database, then you have to write WS of your own, and use SOAP Receiver Adapter to call that Web Service, get the response and pass it to file adapter. Use have to use BPM, without BPM it will not be possible.

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

I am still not able to understand as to how can we use a SOAP receiver adapter on the sender side and another File receiver adapter to send the data to the File system.

I understand your concept of Service Provider and Service Consumer(as explained by you in another thread on web services) but the idea of a Soap Receiver at the sender side is not very clear.

Basically in this scenario when ever there is a change in the database we are supposed to send the changed fields(through SOAP) to XI and then to the file system(through file adapter). So cant the web service trigger a call to the SOAP adapter whenever there is a change in the database?

So if you could let me know the step by step data flow in this case, it would be very helpful.

Regards,

Sampada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampada,

Your scenario is

DATABASE-----> XI----->File

Recommended Way is

Database>(JDBC Sender adapter)XI--(File Receiver Adapter)

JDBC Sender Adapter has ability to connect to databse on its own.

Now you want something like

Database>(SOAP Sender Adapter)XI--(File Receiver Adapter)

SOAP sender adapter cannot communicate to database on its own.

Database has to call the WebServices provided by XI.

My question to you----

>

Does your database is capable of sending SOAP/XML calls to XI or can you generate WS client is database?

regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

What we are planning is to host a web service on the DB side and XI consumes that web service to take the xml data provided by the Web Service and send it to the File system.

The JDBC approach has been ruled out due to some constraints.

Regards,

Sampada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampada,

Then you cannot use SOAP Sender Adapter. This adapter is used only if XI is hosting a service.

You can go with SOAP receiver Adapter to call the web service hosted by your database.

But XI scenarios completes only if it also contains something on sender side.

As you have to put your web service response to a file system, you would be using File Receiver adapter.

So , if you want to achieve this functionality, you have to go with BPM.

Also you need something on the sender side to complete this scenario.

Something to initiate--->XI(BPM(initiate soap call, get back response, send to file system))--

>File

Hope this helps you to understand the concept.

regards,

Piyush