cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBS threadPoolSize on AIX with DB2

Former Member
0 Kudos

CBS threadPoolSize is set to 2.

CBS is successfully restarted and only 1 Java process starts to process from the build queue.

I was expecting 2 Java processes.

Is that not the expected behaviour ?

Does this work on, for example, Win OS ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I actually increased the number to 4 (the machine had 4 virtual processors available),

but only 2 java processes started.

This happened during ESS import, so the queue was full (ca 90 queued entries).

Are you saying that an ESS import could be slow because of sequential code dependencies ?

Or is there some setting in for example Config Tool that I'm overlooking, that could tell CBS that it has 4 processors at it's disposal to increase paralell compilation ?

0 Kudos

Hi Henrik,

no, that value is the only way to tell CBS the number of processes it may start. I am not aware of any additional settings that are required. As far as I remember it was recommended to use number of processors - 1 (to leave some processing time for CBS itself/database/etc.).

I would expect that the number of processes varies during processing. There may well be some periods of "serialed" procesing, but you should also see times with more parallel processing. In other words: ESS import may be "slow" in the sense of "not utilitizing hardware resources to the fullest extend" during some phases (because of code dependencies). As soon as the import gets into an area where there are more "leaf" components (without further dependencies) CBS should be able to process more builds in parallel.

(Also note that the number of queued requests may actually go UP during processing, before finally going down. The number of "dirty" components is a indicator with a more linear behaviour).

Regards,

Marc

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

The threadPoolSize is the maximum number of processes, it does not mean that you always will see that amount of processes.

E.g. if only two components are scheduled for build and one depends on the other they can't be processed in parallel and you will only see one process.

Regards,

Marc