cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java vs Abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all

im really confused about some issues and would be very helpfull if someone helpsme out.

i already know java and worked with it for 2 years but i cant really figure out where is java in SAP.

is it true that that SAP is moving towards java technology instead of abap, if so does this mean that the development enviroment will be done in java instead of abap workbench, and when is this due to happen.

one more thing is what courses will be neccessary to take to be able to work with the java enviroment in the SAP area.

Message was edited by: ahmed ahmed

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed

definitely java is a part of the sapnetweaver platform

how means it is the integrated of both j2ee and sap.

suppose we want to create graphical user interfaces in the sapnetweaver platform at that time j2ee background candidates would prefer webdynpro applications in the sapnetweaver platform.

in the sapnetweaver platform actually there are 2 engines i.e j2ee engine stack and abap engine stack.for executing j2ee related applications we can use j2ee stack and for abap related applications we can use abap stac written in the abap language.

All existing SAP business objects and interfaces can be used with both the J2EE environment and the ABAP environment. This approach gives us a single infrastructure that takes best advantage of both environments.

Also separate web server is not necessary to begin the web enabling of business processes.

Usually ABAP stack is used for complex business logic and J2EE stack can be best used for integration.

Regards

Sunil Kumar.R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed

All existing SAP business objects and interfaces can be used with both the J2EE environment and the ABAP environment. This approach gives us a single infrastructure that takes best advantage of both environments.

Also separate web server is not necessary to begin the web enabling of business processes.

Usually ABAP stack is used for complex business logic and J2EE stack can be best used for integration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rakesh

We will be implementating mysap erp 2005 and the EP 7. I have to make a conscious decision to recruit an ABAP developer.

We are a Java shop. When will ABAP ever be used if Java can handle everything.

But is that true?

Can Java handle everything?

Are there things that can only be done with ABAP.

Folks, any feedback will be appreciated.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

If you are implementing mysap erp 2005, then you will need an ABAP developer. Why?, because the core ECC component(R/3) is written in ABAP, and you will of course need some custom objects written. Especially if you are implementing EP 7.0, you will want to create your own custom iViews that will need to talk to the backend, well, then you need to write custom RFC function modules to get your data from the backend.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

> If you are implementing mysap erp 2005, then you will

> need an ABAP developer. Why?, because the core ECC

> component(R/3) is written in ABAP, and you will of

> course need some custom objects written. Especially

> if you are implementing EP 7.0, you will want to

> create your own custom iViews that will need to talk

> to the backend, well, then you need to write custom

> RFC function modules to get your data from the

> backend.

>

> Regards,

> Rich Heilman

Thanks for your feedback Rich.

Just a follow up question:--

So a custom Java iView can not talk to the backend or in other words, custom RFC function modules can not be written in Java??

I had a feeling that the Java development tools like Visual Composer / Developer Studio had access to all SAP backend business APIs.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

<i>So a custom Java iView can not talk to the backend or in other words, custom RFC function modules can not be written in Java??</i>

That's right, they are not written in java. If you are trying to call an RFC or BAPI on the backend and the system is R/3, then it is all ABAP coding on the backend. You java iView uses jCo or JCA to communicate with the ABAP backend system.

<i>I had a feeling that the Java development tools like Visual Composer / Developer Studio had access to all SAP backend business APIs.</i>

Yes, it does, the APIs are implemented as RFC enabled function modules and BAPIs. They are written in ABAP and can be called from your jspdynpage applications, your web dynpro applications, and your visual composer applications.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay so how can is the door open now for editing and customizing the applications and services that run on the

Java Platform, if so what are the tools and where can

i find material on helping me do so.

I already know java; What do i need to know to get into

SAP's java world ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello ahmed,

it's kinda hard to answer your question as these depends

on which area are you trying to enter: development or

administration side? you must also have the idea of how

SAP uses the Java platform.

try accessing SAP Netweaver documentation.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/start.htm

if you're only interested in java, go to

Application Platform ->

Java Technology in SAP Web Application Server

section, it will give you the ideas on what Java

components are there and what tools are used.

Regards

Jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what if you are a brand new customer of SAP and you are just about to start the SAP implementations? Which programming path will you take: Java or ABAP? Will it be difficult to develop solely in Java?

This is the choice we are about to make. We have some Java developers but no one has any ABAP knowledge.

Thanks for any help!

Kenny

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello ahmed,

>i cant really figure out where is java in SAP

the SAP Netweaver has 2 application engines: the Java(or

J2EE) stack and the ABAP stack. most of the applications

offered by SAP however are implemented in its ABAP stack

written in ABAP language, e.g. MM, FI etc...

in the java stack, that are components that work on top of

it just like EP, MI, XI and so on.

>is it true that that SAP is moving towards java

>technology instead of abap

the ABAP environment is very different with that of Java

just like in the aspects of code mgmt. SAP is currently

integrating some of the ABAP features into its Java

Development Infrastructure. and it would take some time to

port all of the mySAP application suite to java... some

functionalities of some applications have been implemented

in java web services. some functionalites however might be

hard to implement in java...

you can create a pure java application comsuming those

services. but i don't think that ABAP application suite

will be completely changed with that of java nor the ABAP

runtime will become obsolete. it will still be the

platform of critical enterprise applications.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The core SAP ERP system will always be ABAP. SAP has too much invested in it. Over 30 years and millions of lines of code. ABAP is here to stay. Java is a nice addition to the SAP world. It will allow for total integration to other software. ABAP development will be done in SE80, java development will be done in NWDS.

Regards,

Rich Heilman