Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL server browser service in SQL2005.

phuong_luu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello.

I know there are few new services in SQL 2005 after I upgrade my SQL server from 2000 to 2005, these new services are:

SQL Server Browser.

SQL Server Fulltext Search

SQL server VSS writer.

I would like to know if the above services should be turned on in SAP Netweaver environment and if they are off, what the impact would be.

Please advice.

Best regards,

Phuong.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Phuong,

Please find your answers below:

If the SQL Server Browser service is not running, you can still connect to SQL Server if you provide the correct port number or named pipe. For example, you can connect to the default instance of SQL Server with TCP/IP if it is running on port 1433.

The following connections will not work:

- Any component that tries to connect to a named instance without fully specifying all the parameters, such as the TCP/IP port or a named pipe.

- Any component that generates or passes server or instance information that could later be used by other components to reconnect.

- Connecting to a named instance without providing the port number or pipe. This includes Data Mirroring to a named instance and clustering a named instance.

- Dedicated Administrator Connections to a named instance, or the default instance if not using TCP/IP port 1434.

- The OLAP redirector service.

- Enumerating servers in SQL Server Management Studio, Enterprise Manager, or Query Analyzer.

SQL Full Text Search doesn't seem to have an effect on SAP Netweaver.

SQL VSS Writer Service is not absolutely required, but it is important if you need third party tools to backup your SQL Server databases when SQL Server is running (online backup):

When running, Database Engine locks and has exclusive access to the data files. When the SQL Writer Service is not running, backup programs running in Windows do not have access to the data files, and backups must be performed using SQL Server backup.

Use the SQL Writer Service to permit Windows backup programs to copy SQL Server data files while SQL Server is running.

I hope these answer your questions. Please award points if your question is answered.

Thanks.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to clarify on the Browser service, it is mostly enabled when you are using Named Instances. SAP does not normally recommend using Named Instances, but it is supported on current releases. If you are not doing this, though, there's generally not a lot of need for the Browser service to be enabled.

phuong_luu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello.

With the above 2 answers I don't think there is a need to turn on SQL Server Browser service. Am I correct??? Please advice.

Thanks,

Phuong.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's correct, you do not need to turn it on to run SAP, unless you are using Named Instances (not likely). There are some other circumstances where it might be helpful, but generally you do not need it. It is not enabled for my installations.

Answers (0)