cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Using SAP NW VM Ware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Following my yesterday problems with the XP version, I'm trying to use the VM Ware version, based on :

/people/gregor.wolf3/blog/2008/03/31/sap-netweaver-70--java-and-abap-trial-version-on-linux--vmware-edition--tips-tricks

But....

When I try this :

"/usr/sap/N4S/SYS/exe/run/saplicense -get"

it doen't work.

Besides, "ls /usr/sap/" seems empty...

I've put a picture showing all this here:

http://www.geocities.com/agalacy/sap_vmware.JPG

Any ideas ? Thanks.

Angela

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

looks like the 2nd virtual hard disc isn't mounted. try a mount -a and check /etc/fstab and also check inside the VM Player application, if there is a 2nd HD available.

br,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's the results of these operations :

ivml2005:~ # mount -a

Error: cannot mount filesystem: Protocol error

ivml2005:~ # cat /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1

/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

/dev/hda /media/cdrom auto noauto,user,sync 0 0

/dev/sdb1 /netweaver ext3 acl,user_xattr 0 0

#/netweaver/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0

1. Beginning of the block added by the VMware software

.host:/ /mnt/hgfs vmhgfs defaults,ttl=5 0 0

1. End of the block added by the VMware software

ivml2005:~ #

Does all this mean something to you ?

Thanks.

Angela

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

your 2nd hard drive isn't available in the VM. Check you VM Player configuration for this VM. There needs to be a 2nd HD. The filenames are SLES10SP1_Test_Drive(2)-s0xx.vmdk. If they aren't associated to the VM, maybe you can add them by adding a new virtual HD. The filename is: SLES10SP1_Test_Drive(2).vmdk I believe that the (2) in the filename is breaking something. You can try to rename it to SLES10SP1_Test_Drive2.vmdk and change manually the file SLES10SP1_Test_drive.vmx and enter the correct filename.

The failing HD is called /dev/sdb in Linux. After you added the HD (or maybe it is already added) you should open a shell and execute mount.

When you are sure that everything is right and should work, but /netweaver stays empty. check via dmesg for error messages or do a fdisk/dev/sdb.

br,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. I'll be looking. In the meantime I've started downloading a load of "SAP part" files from another location :

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/102c6e47-cd8e-2a10-8b96-a2102... [original link is broken]

Hope one or the other works. I'll keep you informed.

BTW... my plan is to use Sap Netweaver as some kind of application server (a bit like JBOSS or WebSphere for example), in which I'll develop my enterprise application, is this what it's for ? (with the advantage of enabling powerful integration with SAP ERP stuff)

Angela

Edited by: Angela GALACY on Apr 18, 2008 8:12 PM

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP NetWeaver Java Edition is in fact an application server like JBOSS. You can develop J2EE applications, portlets, etc and run them on top of NetWeaver. But it's also more: NetWeaver is the strategic platform from SAP for their ERP. Many of their products rely on NetWeaver.

You can use NetWeaver for developing Java (and ABAP) applications with a tight integration into SAP.

br,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for this confirmation. This is quite cool, because I currently have some J2E/JBOSS applications which I want to start to make interact with SAP ERP.

Has anyone experienced migrating a JBOSS J2E application (mainly Session/Entity EJBs and Data Sources) to Netweaver ?

Angela

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

in theory, JBoss and NetWeaver are J2EE (EJB, session beans, stateless, etc) compliant application servers. You should be able to deploy an application without modification. But JBoss and SAP Web AS Java do have some modifications (e.g. web.xml), so normaly it won't work out-of-the-box.

Do adapt your code, use the NetWeaver Developer Studio NWDS (Eclipse based), and import your JBoss J2EE files. Go through the online help of SAP (help.sap.com) on how to develop a J2EE application (.ear) for NetWeaver. After this, you should be able to compile and deploy the app into NetWeaver. Theres a lot of information available at the SDN, on help.sap.com and the help inside NWDS.

SAP offers a complete infrastructure (NWDI) for development for NetWeaver, with Version Tracking, Change Management, etc. J2EE applications with user interaction, grphics, buttons, etc are called WebDynpro. Have fun!

best regards,

Tobias

Answers (0)