Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side effects of the /$sync transaction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Does anyone know is there any side effects of using the transaction code /$sync, which is cleaning up all buffers?

Personally I'm using it to refresh an ALV table, if it's structure was modified.

But it is applied only for my session's buffers and it will not harm other people and will not kick out other people from the SAP system.

Am I right?

Thank you

Tamá

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sm1tje
Active Contributor

It will not kick out other people, but it does clear ALL buffers, and not only yours. Therefore you should not do it yourself, but rather ask some people from basis if you can and may do it or let them do it.

help.sap.com:

command $SYNC to reset all the SAP buffers on the application server. These commands only affect the buffers of the application server on which the commands are entered. The buffers of the other application servers in the network are not affected.

Using the commands $TAB and $SYNC places an extremely large load on the system. In large systems, it could take up to one hour (depending on the access profile) for the buffer load to return to its original state. System performance is greatly impeded during this time.

Edited by: Micky Oestreich on Apr 18, 2008 10:39 AM

1 REPLY 1

Sm1tje
Active Contributor

It will not kick out other people, but it does clear ALL buffers, and not only yours. Therefore you should not do it yourself, but rather ask some people from basis if you can and may do it or let them do it.

help.sap.com:

command $SYNC to reset all the SAP buffers on the application server. These commands only affect the buffers of the application server on which the commands are entered. The buffers of the other application servers in the network are not affected.

Using the commands $TAB and $SYNC places an extremely large load on the system. In large systems, it could take up to one hour (depending on the access profile) for the buffer load to return to its original state. System performance is greatly impeded during this time.

Edited by: Micky Oestreich on Apr 18, 2008 10:39 AM