cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different alternatives in MDM & Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

if we want to enable the MDM workflows in portal then can you please let me know what are the different alternatives in portal side and what are advantages and disadvantages in each alternative.

if it is customozed scenario thru GP then can you please tell me what are the various alternatives in this to develop the callable objects and what are the advantages and disadvantages are there in each areas.

1) callable object - JAVA webdynpro thru GP Interface ( please mention adv and disadv)

2) callable object - ABAP webdynpro thru MDM JAVA APIs ( Please mention adv and disadv)

3) callable object - Visual composer ( advantages and disadvantage pls mention)

in this 3rd option is it possible the visual composer component calls the webservice which uses JAVA APIs to updae the MDM data ?? if posssible pls mention the required steps, advantages and disadvantages

Thanks a lot if any comes with alternatives with required steps and great help to us.

Regards

Suresh babu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

just some inputs regarding your question.

Visual Composer can calls any Web Service, therefore also MDM Web Service, in this way you can update MDM Data. It's more fast to create solution using VC but just a bit stiff, this seems to be a disadvantages. Besides, it doesn't give a graphic flexibility .

In the second solution you say "ABAP webdynpro thru MDM JAVA APIs", in abap webdynpro you need to use MDM ABAP APIs, not Java. This is a good solution, but you can't use GP Interface in abap mode.

Can moving right now the third solution.....

The better solution, in my opinion, is to use JAVA webdynpro thru GP Interface, this permits you to insert several wdj in Guided Procedure as Callable Objects, GP Interface assure you can pass parameters between various step of Guided Procedures using Java GP API. Then, inside wdj enjoy yourself with MDM API or MDM webservices.

Hope this help you.

Regards,

Vito Palasciano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vito

Thanks a lot for your great reply.

1) can you please tell me as u metioned that visual composer calls any webservice , therefore also MDM Webservice. in this case you mentioned that it doesn't give a graphic flexibility. can you tell me brieftly abt it what it is meaning of graphic flexibility?? if it is not there the graphic flexibility then what are the problems will occur from our end?? can u pls more detail??

in this visual composer with Webservice scenario , can you please tell me what the development effort required and what are the required development steps are there?? if u have any document or links on this ....then it is great help to me.

2) if come to the second point "ABAP Webdynpro with MDM ABAP APIs" in this case you mentioned that we can't use GP interface in ABAP mode , can u pls tell me detaily here what are the difficulties we will face if GP interface is not there in ABAP mode. if GP interface is not there , can we achieve the workflows in portal ?? . GP interface means it is the meaning of passing the parameters b/w various steps or some other meaning??

can we achieve the MDM workflows in portal or not in this case?? can u tell me detail on this??

3) actually our requirement says that we can't deploy the applications on portal while enabling workflows in portal. so we need an alternative where we can deploy the application on backend rather than portal. why because they are saying that some load will happen if we use JAVA webdynpro with GP while deploying on portal. but at the same case we can use the portal for deployment in the visual composer related stuff but not webdynpro for java.

finally we need an alternative either to use Visual composer with webservice scenario or ABAP webdynpro with MDM ABAP APIs. can you pls tell me what are the development efforts on these two cases and what are the advantages and disadvantages in each of these two cases.

Please reply to these queries then it is great help to me

Thanks a lot

Regards

Sunil

[ more points are always given]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Graphic flexibility means that if you want change column color in a chart you can chose only four/five colors, you can't overlap labels on charts and so forth. Sure you must use the flash environment in VC rather then webdynpro one that is more lacking. I suggest you to try with some tutorials.

Here all about VC: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-vc

GP interface means that you can pass the parameters between various steps of GP and quite obviously you can make everything on GP, start a process, close a step and so on using java code. The solution may be that each step in GP is a callable object as WDJ component that implements GP interface. Inside wdj, if you want, mdm api or web services.

Note that MDM has an own workflow in Visio, but it's outside SAP Portal.

"we can't deploy the applications on portal while enabling workflows".... I don't know exactly what that means, but it seems to be a quite strange.

Finally, VC is fast for development, wda and wdj are more complex because APIs, wdj have GP interfaces.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Vito

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vito

can you please provide answers for the following questions.

1) What I understand from you is we can not use ABAP Webdynpro in GP - can you explain briefly due to what are the reasons that we cant use GP in ABAP webdynpro and advantages . are u sure it is not possible to use GP in this callable object??

and disadvantages in this scenario.

2) what are the skills sets are required to do the ABAP Webdynpro with GP

3) you mentioned that - Visual Composer can calls any Web Service, therefore also MDM Web Service, in this way you can update MDM Data. It's more fast to create solution using VC but just a bit stiff, this seems to be a disadvantages. Besides, it doesn't give a graphic flexibility .

What are the disadvantages – please be specific like what features are not possible. ( shall we go ahead to use this type of scenario to create the callable objects of type visual composer with MDM service in GP

4) what is the development effort in creating the callable object in Webdynpro JAVA API - what are the advantages and disadvantages in this case

Please reply to the above queries then it is great help to me

Thanks

Suresh babu