cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading OS Win2k3 to SP1, Java engines will not start.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On a development box that I have is NW04 SPS11 Patch3. It runs fine, no problems to speak of.

My task was to upgrade the OS, Win2k3 to SP1. I searched sdn and notes for issues and problems and found only one, a permission change.

I shut down the WAS and patched the OS. Uneventful. Windows is fine. The dispatcher starts, but the two instances die. They never come up leaving only two lines on the developers trace to go on.

JlaunchIAbortjava: abort hook is called

JlaunchCloseProgram: Good Bye (exit code=-2)

Questions are:

Has anyone patched 2003 server to SP1 and has this happen?

Has anyone done this and it work?

Was there a little known note somewhere that I missed?

Yes, everything is backed up. (I love Ghosts) So I have a day or so to play with this to see what did blew up.

Again, the portal did not change. Windows was just patched to SP1.

This might be a quick 10 points for someone...........

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

You can check the other logs in work directory of the J2EE engine for additional error messages. I suppose the server cannot be started with more than 1024M heap but you have to check the logs for confirmation. You also can try to decrease the JVM memory settings of the server note.

There is a known issue with some Windows patches that cause space fragmentation. This problem is described in note 664607 and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-008.mspx

I hope this will help.

Best Regards

Vyara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply.

My configuration for the engines are 1280 and 1280 each for heap size. Production is 1536 and 1280. The heaps have to be this large for an application for online order entry. It is a beast of a program. Infact I will be building a 64 - bit portal so memory limitations will no longer be an issue. The devportal was working fine before the upgrade to SP1 so I do not thing this is the problem.

I have rebased the lower memory in the past and it really helped with the big app that is running on both portals. In fact I recomend .dll rebase for any portal that is running a large java app, or Windows 2003, or having over 4 gig of RAM. (I run 8 Gig)

I fear that the issue is SQL related somehow, just have not found the proof yet. SP1 for 2003 does do some funny things to the OS in the name of security. There are some MS notes about SQL and SP1 but, nothing in my situation. Infact SQL acts like "I work, what's your problem."

Either SQL or it is an IP port that has been blocked or changed on the server because of the security changes. There is a lot to look through on that angle, but I have little time to mess around with it. I am going to have to re image the server back to where it was, I have alot of things being thrown at me and I have to have the dev box back.

Any other ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

I am sure that there is an adequate error message in the log files. Please start the server node and check all logs that are updated.

My suggestion to lower the memory settings was not to fix the probem but to debug it.

Kind Regards

Vyara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Going through the dispatch log, there are no errors to say that something is worng. Even the MMC says that it is up and running. As for the two engines, a log file does not even start. The last log entries are from when I shut them down to upgrade to SP1.

I am going to assign points to you though for responding, I have to image back that portal now to do some work. The next time I try this I will set my log levels higher.

Oh, also, IIS is fine. Just getting a 503 error, that just tells me the portal engines are not up.

Thank you again, maybe we can pick this up again at a later date.