cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Map

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have imported file using import manager. After connecting the file, from the File menu I used to select available map. It is showing retrieving value. After matching I used to click on automap (between source and Destination value).then at last I used to import.

But I have no clear Idea of this three tab Partition Field/Value, Map Field/Value, Match Records.

I have seen many link is Sdn. Theoretically I have understand what are all these tab.

But please explain me at which situation and how we have to use these three tabs

Partition Field/Value, Map Field/Value, Match Records. And what is the function of Map and automap?

I have always used available map. But never created map. Please explain me with an example in your own words.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pappu,

Answering your queries:

Lets take an Ex. You have 5 fields in source side:

A - type text

B - type text

C - type Lookup[Flat] -

D - Field inside Lookup Flat

E - Field inside Lookup Flat

C field is pointing to a look up Table DE. Suppose you have already populated the Look-up table DE taking both D & E as the Matching Fields.

Suppose DE has 2 fields inside it - D & E.

Now,

In Map Properties, if you connect to the Source, you will have to choose the Source and the Main table in Source and Destination respectively:

Now, in Destination side, you will get C, which is a combination of D&E. Hence to map C on the source with C on the destination, you will have to partition D&E on the Source side. ( Forex, Source will have Tiger and Destination will have Tiger;Meat). Hence we should not map it directly.

Source Destination

A - A

B - B

C

D

E C ( a field gets created with the combination of both(D&E)

hence you partition D & E - it gives you D;E, which then can be mapped with C on the Destination.

After doing Partitioning, you can then Map the Source and the Destination Fields under the Map Field/ Values Tab. For look up field you will have to map the values.

Matching Field- here you should choose any field which decide how many number of records should get created. Hence it should be a Unique field, so that it ensures that only unique values of that Field form Records.

Suppose, in above example - A is the Material Id. and you have 3 records with different ID's. hence if you choose, the Material ID as your Matching Field, then 3 records will get created.

But if in your source, 2 ID's are duplicates, then 1 out of them will get created.

And Automap is used only when the Name of the Fields are same. Hence the system identifies the fields with same name and Auto-maps them. hence Manual effort is reduced. However, it is recommended to use Map to avoid any problems.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

It will be better if anyone of you can give me your created document by your own with screen shot. I have no clear idea regarding taxonomy and lookup table and field and their import. If it is possible for you then send me some doc. prepared by you . Whatever you said previously I have done and able to import.

Thanks for that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pappu,

Please see the following link.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/9030396d-0e84-2910-d8ac-f92388f8...

Regards

Richa

Edited by: Richa Goel on Apr 18, 2008 4:32 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok,

Whatever you said I have done. But in import status it's showing Map 'Taxanomy test' field to import attribute(s).

But When ever I have mapped that taxnomy field in the source side to destination side. it is showing 0 OF 9 value mapped. In the value conversion window In the destination value there is one null field and all the 9 fields are in source value side . I have selected all 9 buttons to add but add button is disable. If I am using automap button then it is showing 9 of 9 value mapped but overmap sign is comming on the null field of destination value.and stiil import status is showing that Map 'Taxanomy test' field to import attribute(s).

Please reply.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Halder,

After doing it, refresh the match criteria in Match records tab then go to Import status.

and save the map.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have tried to do this . I have created a XL with three field Country Vendor and Id.

After connecting it I have selected Souce file and in Destinination Hierarchy I have selected Vendor TABLE and mapped but it is showing for example 4 value mapped out of 9 value.

Using auto map I cannot map that value. Please guide me How can I create the map.

I want to do a bit of practice.So please tell me the steps.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Halder,

those values which are automatically mapped are present in repository already and mztch with destination values, but the remaining which not mapped are not present so you have to either add them in to destination or to map them with null of destination. Select all values and Use Add button.

They will come in blue color and will be automatically mapped.

Perform this step for all fields which have problem in value mapping.

Go to match record tab and set criteria. then in import status check whether its ready for import or not.

After that save the map.

Please reward if found helpful..

BR,

Alok

Edited by: Alok Sharma on Apr 17, 2008 3:32 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thing is that you cannot leave any value unmapped in the source Value pane.For source type = text the values are added automatically but for lookups either you can map them to existing values or to the NULL value or you can Add them.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pappu,

Partition Field/Value

Partition is useful in different scenarios.i will explain some scenarios here.

1) When we have multiple source fields need to be mapped to one destination field.

For example we have source fields such as FirstName , LastName contains Mullapudi and

Narendra but we have only one destination field such as Name .Here Name should be full name

like Mullapudi Narendra.In those cases before mapping, we go for partition to merge FirstName

and LastName and we map the merged field to the corresponding destination field(Name).

2) If the destination field is multivalued field and multiple source fields, then we go for partition by

putting delimiter in between source fields.

3) If we have one souce field and multiple destination fields, Here also we go for partition.

Here we need to partition destination fields.

Map Field/Value

Mapping is required to import the data from source system

Difference between Map Field and Value

If there are any lookup field in your main table or if you want to change the source data valuemapping

is required.

Expect that condition, generally we go for field mapping.

Match Records.

Match Records tab used to match source records with destination records.

Match records displays the matches in 4 forms.

a) None -

When there are no matches

b) Exact -

When there are same matches

c) Conflict---- When some matches are equal and some are not equal

d) Partial------ When some matches are equal and some are undefined.

what is the function of Map and automap?

Map tab used when source field names do n't match with destination fields.Here we need to do field

mapping manually.In this case we use map tab.

Automap tab used when souce field names match with destination field names.

That means, whenever IM finds identical field both in source and destination automap does

automatic mapping once we click on that.

Hope it helps

Reward points,if found useful.

Cheers,

Narendra.M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Source File

Name Country TCode

ABC India 0123

XYZ US 0251

PQR France 022

Repository

Name Country StdCode

ABC India 0123

DFG Nepal 0345

QWE Japan 0112

Partition Field/Value Tab

The Partition Field/Value tab to create the partitions that combine fields into field combinations, for subsequent processing of value combinations rather than individual

field values.

Map Fields/Values Tab

In this tab one should map source field to destination field.In the above example if you click on Automap then fields Name and Country will be mapped automatically because the two items are same but what about third field even though it contains the same type of values logically i.e. Std code but their representation in source and destination structure are different thats why in such case you have to manually

map the fields.

In case of value mapping if the field in the repository is of type Text then no need to do the value mapping the values will be added automatically.

But if your field is Lookup[Flat] then you need to do the Value mapping.

E.g. Say country is Lookup[Flat] with values {India,France,Japan,nepal} then if you click

on Automap then again same values like India,US will be mapped automatically but if there exists some new values in the source field then you can either add those values or map with the values present in the destination field.Also if there is case mismatch between the values then also you have to do manual mapping because in such situation Automap will not work.

Match Records tab

This tab allows to select the key based on which source and destination records will be compared and also we can able to decide the import action like Skip,create,Update All,

update Null.

E.g. Name is the Key then it will display 1 match found and you can decide what to do either update the existing record or skip it and the values in name field that does present in the repository that you can create by selecting the import action property.

Hope it will help you

Kindly let us know if any further help is required.

Reward if found useful

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Different situation:

1. Partition Field/Value: Only this tab is situation based according to me because here you can do something like combine two or more fields in one. Say the your flat table has 2 DFs so they both will appear when you enter main table record separated by any delimiter. but your source file have those two fields separately. by using this option you can combine those fields and can use as a single field in source file.

2. Map Field/Value: This step is manatory for importing action so what kind of situation you are expecting. Map fileds and values tab is for mapping source fields with destination means which field value will go to which destination field and then their value mapping means if source field value is present in destination IM automatically or manually map them.

3. Match Records.: This is like setting matching criteria on which field basis you will match the existing records with the new records from source file. Its kind of matching based on primary keys or with combine keys. This step is again mandatory for importing. in this step you also see the records will be created, updated, skip or etcc...

After doing these steps corectly, you will find import ststus "ready for import" otherwise will get a message, what should be done for importing. To save a map click file--->Save and provide map name. this is the example.

Reward if found helpful.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Halder,

Partition Field/Value:

- This tab is used in import manager mainly when we have lookups.

When you have a lookup table and you have two fields say

Field A

Field B

Then when you import your lookup table first you need to select the matching field ,now if none of the field has unique you need to select both of them as a combination for retriving unique records.When you do this then while you perform main table mapping then the lookup field in your main table looking into the lookuptable appears as a combination of the two lookup fields

eg:<FieldA ; Field B>

Now when you perform main table mapping you do not have any such field in you source file :<FieldA ; Field B>

Therefore you partition your source field A and Field B and after partition it becomes :<FieldA ; Field B> so you map this partition field to the destination lookup field nad perform value mapping.

Map Field/Value

- In your case you are only working with store maps.When you need to carete a mp your self then you use this tab.

- You select the source file in the right upper corner and the destination rep table in the Left upper corner in Import manger.

- Then the list of fields appear

- Under the Map Field tab ,map the fields

- Eg map FieldA to Correcponding field in MDM rep in your destination side.

- after mapping you need to perform Matching step under the matching tab.

Match Records.

- Match record means selecting the field or the combination of fields so as to retrive unique records

- For eg: I have two fields say Country and Zipcode in my table

and i have 100 records in my source with many records of the same country.

- now if i select only country a smy matching field then it might give me only 80 unique rec as there are only 80 unique countries but if i select countries and zipcode as a combination then it MDM import manger will retrive all 100 records as there will be no two records with the same combination of Country and zipcode.

Hope it helped

Kindly reward points if found useful

Thanks

Simona