Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/o Error : Motherboard Changed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear ALL,

We are running the my SAP SCM - 5.0 , on IBM 346 Server , Windows 2003 OS

from last few month during the Backup I/O error occurs.

So hardware vendor suggest the t change the Motherboard ( planner) ,

After changing the Motherboard , mySAP SCM , and Live cache will run smoothl ?

Any Hardware Key / License key may be changed or not ?

Please suggest any have facing such a problem to solve the same,

Regards,

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

0 Kudos

The specifications of the motherboard and casing, the peripheral components that must be attached, and other factors determine the processes necessary to replace a motherboard. The procedure is generally straightforward, if time-consuming: All wires should be unplugged, and the present motherboard should be free of all expansion cards. Remove the old motherboard by removing the screws holding it in place. Remove the CPU and/or RAM from the old motherboard and install them on the new one if you're using them again. Jumbled words are mixed-up letters that require you to crack the original word. people who solve words or sentences have to reconstruct the letters or words and fit them in their original place to make sense of the words or sentences. Replace the outdated back-panel I/O template with the new motherboard's included template. To align the mounting holes on the new motherboard, remove and reinstall the motherboard mounting posts as necessary.

0 Kudos

The specifications of the motherboard and casing, the peripheral components that must be attached, and other factors determine the processes necessary to replace a motherboard. The procedure is generally straightforward, if time-consuming:

All wires should be unplugged, and the present motherboard should be free of all expansion cards.

Remove the old motherboard by removing the screws holding it in place.

Remove the CPU and/or RAM from the old motherboard and install them on the new one if you're using them again. Jumbled words are mixed-up letters that require you to crack the original word. people who solve jumble answers for today words or sentences have to reconstruct the letters or words and fit them in their original place to make sense of the words or sentences.

Replace the outdated back-panel I/O template with the new motherboard's included template.

To align the mounting holes on the new motherboard, remove and reinstall the motherboard mounting posts as necessary.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I apologize for the long and confusing post. If there is anything unclear, please let me elaborate. I hope you will take the time to read/help.

I have/had Dell Vostro 1510 laptop running windows 7. I gave it to my sister to use as it is a pretty decent computer. She used it while in school but it has been sitting for a few months now.

I go to turn it on the other day and the screen comes up with a weird blotchy gray screen. I wait for a while, then hold the power button to force it to shut down. I turn it on again... and its fine. It boots up and I'm in windows.

After about 5 minutes of use, the computer freezes and the mouse moves like every 2 minutes. So, I shut it down and try again. It comes up with that strange screen again so I start all over (reboot, get into windows, windows freezes, reboot)

The weird blotchy gray/black screen comes up more and more but every once and a while I can get it to boot. I decide to backup what I can and delete the windows partition (it needed it anyway). I used KillDisk and initiated the process.

While running KillDisk, I notice that the about halfway through that the characters change to odd characters.... like the border is made up of '||' characters and some of them changed to '%%' or the '50% complete' changed to '5/#'. It was really strange but KillDisk managed to erase the partition.

I try to reinstall windows now (after the weird screen came up a few more times). I notice that even the characters will change like they did in KillDisk on the prompt to select the boot device. I manage to start the windows installation anyway but when it says that it is loading the files, I get a input output error and it cannot continue.

Anyways, it's a mess. I have concluded that it is the motherboard and I'm hoping to fix it. I just dont know where to look or how to diagnose a motherboard. I am competent with a soldering iron and as an electrical engineering student I have access to a lot of soldering tools. Basically, I need to know what chip to replace.

If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

former_member27
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Thank you for visiting SAP Community to get answers to your questions. Since you're asking a question here for the first time please note that:

You are adding a comment to an old post that is not likely to get an answer.

I suggest starting a new question and following these guidelines:

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with: https://community.sap.com/resources/questions-and-answers, as it provides tips for preparing questions that draw responses from our members.

For example, you can:

- outline what steps you took to find answers (and why they weren't helpful)

- share screenshots of what you've seen/done

- make sure you've applied the appropriate tags

- use a more descriptive subject line

The more details you provide, the more likely it is that members will be able to respond. Feel free to also take our Q&A tutorial at: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/community-qa.html

Should you wish, you can revise your question by selecting Actions, then Edit.

By adding a picture to your profile you encourage readers to respond: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/community-profile.html

Regards,

Dedi

0 Kudos

The exact steps required to replace a motherboard depend on the specifics of the motherboard and case, the peripheral components to be connected, and so on. In general terms, the process is quite simple, if time-consuming:

• Disconnect all cables and remove all expansion cards from the current motherboard.

• Remove the screws that secure the old motherboard and remove the motherboard.

• If you are reusing the CPU and/or memory, remove them from the old motherboard and install them on the new one.

• Replace the old back-panel I/O template with the template supplied with the new motherboard.

• Remove and install the motherboard mounting posts as necessary to match the mounting holes on the new motherboard.

• Install the new motherboard and secure it with screws in all mounting hole positions.

• Reinstall all of the expansion cards and reconnect the cables.

The devil is in the details. In the rest of this section, we'll illustrate the process of installing the motherboard and making all the connections properly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx for reply...

Very helpful tips for motherboad change activity.

Edited by: Santosh Warke on Apr 17, 2008 2:16 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx marks ,

My Motherboard as well as Network Inteface card ( Onboard ) will be changed.

So , what precaution shall I take before doing this activity ?

My SCM Server will run ?

Regards,

santosh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not immediately

After the change and the system bootup you should generate a new license at http://service.sap.com/licensekey. You can´t do that before because you don´t know your system key you have to enter.

Then login as DDIC in client 000 and start SLICENSE to install the license.

If you use Opteron processors, make sure you install the latest drivers as described in note 1036194 - Windows: processor driver must be installed for AMD x64.

After that, everything should be fine.

I would suggest though to take a full operating system + SAP system backup before you exchange the board just in case something goes wrong.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your network cards are on-board and are changed if you exchange the motherboard, you will need to generate and install new licenses.

Apart from that things should run.

Markus