Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spreadsheet download problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is my problem:

I have an ABAP report that picks up an Excel file from the host and update its contents based upon some dictionary tables on the Application Server. To do that, it opens the spreadsheet with OLE2OBJECT methods, call some of the internal VBA scripts, and then, save the result. This report works great with SAP GUI, but when I try to execute it via ITS, it says that its impossible to open an Excel instance.

Searching this forum I have realized that it seems not possible to use OLE-based methods neither in the application server (via background jobs, for example) nor in the WEBGUI. So, Does anyone know any way to modify an Excel file (adding and modifying rows and executing VBA scripts) in the host side by using an ITS transaction or a BSP Application?

Thank you in advance.

Daniel Morá

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have achieved a partial solution to my problem, but i have encountered another one.

It's possible to use JavaScript and ActiveX to interact with OLE and EXCEL, creating an instance of the application with some code like this:

var oXL = new ActiveXObject("Excel.Application");

So I thought I could use a BSP Application to generate the JavaScript code that would modify the excel as i needed. But once again, i tried it with a HTML page and it worked but once i created a BSP, it failed. It generates a JavaScript error like "Automation Server could not be started".

Now my question is: Does anyone know if this is a permission problem, or a programming one? Does anyone knows a solution?

Thanks in advance

Daniel Morá

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Daniel.

Check out the following weblog , it may be of interest to you.

<a href="/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2005/02/14/bsp-and-microsoft-excel--learning-to-live-together">BSP and Microsoft Excel - learning to live together</a>

Regards

Raja